XXR vs XXR

The Marvel / MCU Thread || From Blade to Secret Wars, All Things Marvel!

1 hour ago, DInky said:

Reading a quote like that from Iger sadly makes me think that they really are giving up on characters like Kamala on film.

Yeah we ain't ever seeing another PoC lead from any Disney affiliates again and the quality will be the exact same, and some of yall goobers in here will clap like seals.

Love how they took that, instead of Iger’s tentpole-only based model was fundamentally flawed, sped up by both Disney+ and Iger, the fact that the only label with any creative momentum is Pixar and was sabotaged by Iger’s Plus greed and the problems were most of the movies suck because of executive oversight.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sckathian said:

Hilarious thing is I can't think of a Disney film with a 'message' to sell.

I assume the message was "diversity". They planned the new Avengers team will be a lot more diverse.

What worries me is that Iger is blaming Disney "message" so blatantly for the poor quality. Normally, that's something they wouldn't say (even if they believe it).

Edited by Kon

Bob Iger trying to blame diversity for Disney’s recent financial woes is hilarious, especially when he was championing that just one year ago. I guess it’s easier to blame “wokeness” than his own factory approach to entertainment. 

Is the Ironheart show gonna get the Zaslav treatment now? 

• Like 5

Bob Iger has always been an uncreative soulless business man and he is more responsible for why Disney is in a rut than Chapek is. Disney has never cared about Diversity. They care about what makes them money and they were always going to blame diversity for their crappy movies under performing when that happened. It's sick and I hate it but it was always going to happen. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

Am I the only one who just thinks Iger's saying what he thinks shareholders want to hear, all while staying the course? 

Who knows?

I really hope Disney is not going back to an all White world, the way some people would like.

1 hour ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

Am I the only one who just thinks Iger's saying what he thinks shareholders want to hear, all while staying the course? 

It seems unlikely Iger will tell that (to the shareholders) if he planned to stay the course.

If Iger doesn't want to decrease diversity, he would likely try to put the blame on another aspect. 

Edited by Kon

12 minutes ago, Kon said:

It seems unlikely Iger will tell that (to the shareholders) if he planned to stay the course.

If Iger doesn't want to decrease diversity, he would likely try to put the blame on another aspect. 

Who said anything about decreased diversity? Maybe more white leads while the diverse characters are regulated to supporting like friends or sidekicks which would be sad.

1 minute ago, Zak said:

Nobody likes Hawkeye and Ant-Man had among the lowest grossing films in the MCU even during the good times.

Is gross really the measure you want to use? Cause I’ve got some bad news for fans of anybody in the last MCU film. Or do you want to go with how many fans a character has? Because again, I’ve got some bad news for you. Lol

18 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

Avatar (where all the protagonists are blue) isn't the best example.

The true is we still have movies like Captain America 4 and Blade, where we will have PoC as leads (in Disney+ shows, there is Iron heart and Wonder Man). So, the MCU won't lack PoC leads in the short term.

I'm more worried about Iger already blaming the "message" (diversity). This seems to imply a change of posture in Disney.

Edited by Kon

8 minutes ago, Kon said:

The true is we still have movies like Captain America 4 and Blade, where we will have PoC as leads (in Disney+ shows, there is Iron heart and Wonder Man). So, the MCU won't lack PoC leads in the short term.

Iger must have green lit major reshoots for CA4. All his comments today can be read into however you want he’s being purposefully unspecific.

8 minutes ago, Sckathian said:

Iger must have green lit major reshoots for CA4. All his comments today can be read into however you want he’s being purposefully unspecific.

I’m pretty sure they’re trying to rework that whole movie on the fly. That will probably be a terrible movie.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TommyOliver said:

Is gross really the measure you want to use? Cause I’ve got some bad news for fans of anybody in the last MCU film. Or do you want to go with how many fans a character has? Because again, I’ve got some bad news for you. Lol

I have news for you. I've followed the box office for over 20 years. The Marvels is a nuclear level bomb like many nuclear level bombs this year. I have and never will claim that audiences like Carol, Monica and Kamala as characters because it is clear that they don't like Danvers and are, at best, indifferent to Monica and Kamala.

Even without Ant-Man 3 getting horrible word of mouth and killing the last ounce of good will for the MCU The Marvels probably still would have dropped 40+ percent from the first film. The premise just wasn't good enough. I'm Left leaning and a woman and I personally do like the Kamala character but I rarely analyze box office numbers based on emotion. Some on the left and the right do nothing but that and that is their prerogative but that has nothing to do with me.

• Like 2