XXR vs XXR

The Marvel / MCU Thread || From Blade to Secret Wars, All Things Marvel!

53 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

4 hours ago, Porthos said:

Which is why I suggested a character who is popular and doesn't lend itself to that.  For that matter, Jean Grey doesn't really lend herself to that as well.    Storm?  Maybe a little, but even there the character is such a well established bad ass, as you say, that most of the folks who try to pull the "she's just an example of 'girl power'" can be safely ignored as people not arguing in good faith.

As to getting their popularity from the 90s films and X-Men cartoon?  That's not exactly a negative.  Far from it!  In fact a decent amount of synergy, I would 

Mcu done a shit job handling female characters these days.

I don't have faith.

• Like 1

Lmao, some people are really in la-la land. Storm or Jean Grey aren't popular; if they release a solo movie of Storm or Jean Grey, then it will flop harder than The Marvels. MCU movies led by these characters will work as long as the title of the movie is X-Men or Mutants and has popular X-Men (Wolverine, Magneto, or Charles Xavier) characters in it. Though Storm or Jean Grey can become popular in the future, like Wolverine or Magneto, if they appear in multiple X-men or other cross-over movies as a lead character in the MCU.

Welp, the FoX-Men movies sidelined the fuck out of Jean, Storm and Rogue (and Cyclops!) and went all about Magento, Charles and Wolverine so... of course those were the three that saw their popularity expanding. But the former three (and Cyclops) are some of the most popular Marvel comics characters for sure, at least before the MCU came along and turned Iron Man and Captain America into pop culture icons.

Storm has such a rich history in the comics, it would be a disservice if she's not one of the main faces of the mutant corner of the MCU. If they do Rogue justice, she could become the next big thing for the MCU as well. I do think Jean is a little bit more complicated, since her popularity often just seems too tied to the Dark Phoenix storyline.

• Like 1

You’ve been asking for it and now it’s here. This is your drop off point for all things Marvel and MCU related. We’ve got your movies, we’ve got your series, we’ve even got your comics and your tangentially related discussion topics 😮‍💨

The people who made the recent Marvel Superhero games just got hacked. Based on a resetera link, it looks like this leak includes information that Spider-Man (PS4) generated $560M in lifetime sales against an 89M production budget. 
https://www.resetera.com/threads/sales-for-insomniac-games-ps1-spyro-11-9m-ps2-ratchet-13-8m-fuse-317k-sunset-overdrive-1-9m-ps4-ratchet-5-7m-miles-10-r-c-ps5-2-7m-ect.796962/ (with the VG studio keeping ~15% 

I imagine the X-Men movie would be co-lead by Cyclops and Jean, like @TwoMisfits characters who both got fucked over in movies. Don't expect them to do this because Feige is allergic to romance in Marvel CBMs since even the Infinity Saga but I think diving into the romance and messiness of relationships of the X-Men would help seperate it from the rest of the CBMs and tbh most tentpoles and could attract females more easily, if the leads have strong chemistry. 

Edited by YM!
  • Like 1

Can Marvel please please please cast a dark skinned(preferably african but british african is fine too) strong regal actress as Storm this time. Fox failed twice by casting a light skinned actress. Nothing is wrong with Halle Berry as a actress but she was miscast as Storm.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, YM! said:

I imagine the X-Men movie would be co-lead by Cyclops and Jean, like @TwoMisfits characters who both got fucked over in movies. Don't expect them to do this because Feige is allergic to romance in Marvel CBMs since even the Infinity Saga but I think diving into the romance and messiness of relationships of the X-Men would help seperate it from the rest of the CBMs and tbh most tentpoles and could attract females more easily, if the leads have strong chemistry. 

I dunno how you do X-men without romance. So many relationships on that team. And X-Men fans are full of shippers. The  movies would explode if they get Rogue and Gambit right and its something we've never had on screen which would separate  it from the previous movies. Phase One heroes all had love interests and I think it was for the better.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

Can Marvel please please please cast a dark skinned(preferably african but british african is fine too) strong regal actress as Storm this time. Fox failed twice by casting a light skinned actress. Nothing is wrong with Halle Berry as a actress but she was miscast as Storm.

I really hope that they won't make the mistake of releasing a Storm solo movie before a X-Men movie led by Storm; otherwise, the X-Men movie will face the same problem as the Young Avengers movie led by Ms. Marvel will face now or the problem that Avengers 5 might face.

32 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

After how badly The Marvels performed I doubt the final X-Men reboot is going to end up female-centric anyway, so there's no point wasting time on that rumour.

I don't understand how people's takeaway is "well obviously we can't have women on the X-Men because women don't sell tickets" bullshit in a year where two of the years biggest upsets are Barbie and Taylor Swift. The reason for The Marvels was not "people don't want to see movies starring women".

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Willowra said:

Lmao, some people are really in la-la land. Storm or Jean Grey aren't popular; if they release a solo movie of Storm or Jean Grey, then it will flop harder than The Marvels

So people are just....making up movies to say they're bombs??? Nobody said anything about them getting solo movies.

People cannot possibly be arguing that having Jean Grey and Storm in an X-Men movie are going to cause it to bomb with any level of seriousness.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

I dunno how you do X-men without romance. So many relationships on that team. And X-Men fans are full of shippers. The  movies would explode if they get Rogue and Gambit right and its something we've never had on screen which would separate  it from the previous movies. Phase One heroes all had love interests and I think it was for the better.

Yeah they did but never really dug any of those romance besides Steve and Peggy.

Pepper has not been interesting since IM3, though Jane’s relationship with Thor was sweet never wowed me and who even knows with Betty. Star Lord x Gamora was probably their best but the Russos fumbled it, T’Challa x Nakia was also the start of something new but sadly Boseman passed, Evangeline Lily is probably the most boring MCU character and Peter x MJ while cute puppy love pales in comparison to Peter and Mary Jane in the Raimi movies, Peter x Gwen in the ASM movies and even Miles x Gwen in the SpiderVerse movies because MJ like every other non Avenger in Peter’s MCU life is basically a prop for Peter to interact with rather than a fleshed out character. Wanda x Vision was excellent but that's in part of WandaVision doing the heavy lifting.

Edited by YM!

1 hour ago, Willowra said:

Lmao, some people are really in la-la land. Storm or Jean Grey aren't popular; if they release a solo movie of Storm or Jean Grey, then it will flop harder than The Marvels. MCU movies led by these characters will work as long as the title of the movie is X-Men or Mutants and has popular X-Men (Wolverine, Magneto, or Charles Xavier) characters in it. Though Storm or Jean Grey can become popular in the future, like Wolverine or Magneto, if they appear in multiple X-men or other cross-over movies as a lead character in the MCU.

Magneto has played significant roles in films dated

2000/2003/2006/2011/2014/2016/2019

Xavier

2000/2003/2006/2011/2014/2016/2017/2019/2022

Wolverine

2000/2003/2006/2009/2013/2014/2017/2024

That's...a lot of movies especially when so many of them are bad. 

No matter what, a 2025 reboot of X-Men is going to do something to attempt to differentiate itself as new/exciting/different (while being pretty much the same). Heck, even first class demoted what Fox clearly considers to be the "A-team" and promoted Beast and gave Mystique a different, upgraded role as the key secondary members of a lead ensemble. 

if they release a solo movie of Storm or Jean Grey, then it will flop harder than The Marvels

In this context, sure. I think Jean Grey's getting a time out due to Dark Phoenix fuckups but Storm, Iceman, etc. seem to be perfecly within the "tier" of characters that could have headed a CBM in the 2010s.

Edited by PlatnumRoyce

5 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

So people are just....making up movies to say they're bombs??? Nobody said anything about them getting solo movies.

People cannot possibly be arguing that having Jean Grey and Storm in an X-Men movie are going to cause it to bomb with any level of seriousness.

When I said that X-men movie having Jean Grey and Storm is going to bomb? I said these characters aren't popular & their solo movies before a X-Men movie would bomb at box office just like The Marvels & they shouldn't repeat this mistake again.

Edited by Willowra

8 minutes ago, Willowra said:

I said these characters aren't popular & their solo movies before a X-Men movie would bomb at box office just like The Marvels & they shouldn't repeat this mistake again.

Dude nobody said that was happening except you. You made up a fake movie and then said that it was doomed.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Dude nobody said that was happening except you. You made up a fake movie and then said that it was doomed.

They can make anything they want to make. If they can make a Ms. Marvel tv show & a movie before Young Avengers, then they can also make a solo Storm movie before an X-men movie; they won't come to ask your permission for that. I'm just saying they shouldn't repeat such mistake again.

Edited by Willowra

4 minutes ago, Willowra said:

They can make anything they want to make. If they can make a Ms. Marvel tv show & a movie before Young Avengers, then they can also make a solo Storm movie before an X-men movie; they won't come to ask your permission for that. I'm just saying they shouldn't repeat such mistake again.

Dude you do this constantly, you make up an insane, ridiculous argument that nobody else is making or is based on any actual information, and then act like it's something that's absolutely going to happen, like how you spent like six pages whining about how Lokis finale release date would impact The Marvels, an insane argument based on absolutely no reasoning, and now this saying "They can't make a Storm movie before the X-Men comes out! It'll be doomed" when literally the idea of that happening is something you made up

Edited by SpiderByte
  • Thanks 1