10 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Movies like Pulp Fiction make you forget you are watching a film and make you feel as though you are seeing real, albeit strange, but nonetheless real characters at work. Snatch does that as well. Most of us have very different lives. We all punch the clock, go to work, play with the dog, watch sports and whatever else it is that we do during our day. But in Guy Ritchie's labrynthian like tail, no one is normal. No one does things that the rest of us would do. They are all bound by the Tarantinoesque laws of fiction. And those laws dictate that if there is trouble to find, they find it and if there is a situation that calls for impropriety, it is here, in this film.

Snatch is a lot of fun. When you inhabit a world that shares it's space with guys like Bullet Tooth Tony, Doug The Head, One Punch Mickey, Frankie Four Fingers, Boris The Blade, Turkish, Brick Top and Cousin Avi, you can't help but to have fun. The story is quite complicated and by the time you figure out exactly what is going on, a different angle to the story is introduced. But in some way or another, every member of this story is involved in one way or another, with a diamond that has 84 carats to it. Frankie Four Fingers steals it, Boris the Blade wants it, so does cousin Avi as does does Bullet Tooth Tony. Turkish gets messed up in it somehow and then so does BrickTop, which brings in One Punch Mickey. Confused, you ain't seen nothing yet.

What it comes down to though is that you don't really have to know exactly who fits where in the story. I stopped keeping track of everyones importance about a third of the way through the film. I was having too much fun. Once again we are treated to Benetio Del Toro's mastery of accents as this time he brandishes a Turkish/Russian/Arabian accent. The man really is the best actor out there today. Too bad he dies early in the film, I would have liked to see more of him. Then we are introduced to Brad Pitt and he has a "whoknowswhatkindof" accent. As they say in the film, it is not Irish, not English, just Pygmie. Half the time you have no idea what he saying and the other half you are just barely making it out. But he is incredibly humourous and when he is hard to understand is some of the best humour in the film. Brad Pitt is one hell of an under rated actor but with films like this, he is sure to get a little recognition.

Snatch is violent and it is mean but it does it so stylishly that it becomes fun. I think this is a Pulp Fiction like clone. It is not as good, nothing ever will be, but it is a worthy imitator. Having fun at the movies is what being there is all about. Snatch never forgets that.

9 out of 10- One of the best films of 2001.

• Like 2

"What do you mean 'Look in the dog'?"

Another Guy Ritchie movie which at face value sounds remarkably similar to Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels. I've heard uniformly great things about this, so have been looking forward to it.  Turns out to be a very fun movie, more polished than Lock, Stock, and with some wonderfully quirky characters.  Definitely ramped up the blood and would certainly cross over into buckets-o-blood territory if not for how many people die off screen.  Still handled in a nice cartoon-meets-reality manner though and often used to great comedic effect.  Equally impressive f*bomb dropping here, 163 times according to IMDB, so I may have to wait a tad longer before the kids get to see this one.  I do Quite like Guy's style again and I'll need to go back and re-watch the Sherlock Holmes movies soon with these two early films of his in mind. 

Jason is again great here and really nailing the deadpan humor bit.  He makes a wonderful straight man to all the insanity going on around him, yet still has this great sardonic edge.  He's again oozing charisma here although understandably acting a bit more panicked for most of the movie.  Not sure if he's just being himself or if he actually has some decent acting chops this early on in his career, but his open and direct manner through both of these films has been damned impressive.  Still anxious to see him kicking someone in the face while shooting someone else in the knees, but I'll try to be patient. 

Brad Pitt.  I tend to run very hot/cold with him depending on the role.  With Daniel Day-Lewis or Gary Oldman, I can almost forget who the actor is, but with Brad I all to often just see Brad Pitt pretending to be someone.  Thankfully he's completely awesome here and while I do still see mostly Brad, his accent and handling of the "pigmye" speech is fantastic.  Love the scenes where Brad says something, Jason & whoever look at him blankly, and then all his friends chime in and repeat verbatim what he just said.  Wonderful stuff.

Also glad to see Vinnie again and was very amused that we first see his character bashing someone's head in with a car door just like he did in Lock, Stock.  I may have to look up some of Vinnie's other movies, he's wonderfully charismatic and pretty damn funny in every scene.  His reactions when trying to take down Boris the Bullet-Dodger are priceless and his timing is impeccable.

Badassery Quotient - 6

I'll bump it up one over Lock, Stock just due to Jason's repeatedly refusing to back down from the heavy, but still nada going on action-wise for Jason himself.  Certainly in the thick of it and full props for his awesome screen presence. 

Rewatchability - Yes please

Excellent film and another I'd be happy to come back to again.  I think this one will grow on me over time and certainly could become a very quotable one.  Between the two, this is the better made film, but I think I may have enjoyed Lock, Stock a little more.  The main characters in Lock, Stock are so completely in over their head and naive that it makes the contrast to the nastiness of everyone else all the better.  Not to take anything away from Snatch though.  Damned fun.

• Like 1