Borobudur

Christmas-New Year Weekdays Thread (12/26-28)

6 hours ago, M37 said:

That's another thing working against Twisters: there's been so many cheap and cheesy disaster flicks over the years

FWIW, put me in the "highly skeptical" camp when it comes to Twisters, for this and other reasons.

The main reason is also related to this:

7 hours ago, M37 said:

One thing I'll say about Twisters (a film I have probably watched in part at least 10 times)

Twister might very well be one of the poster children for "film that's been on TNT/TBS/whatever forever, but has almost no real cultural legacy".  In the category of "Oh yeah, that film" in film discourse.  Outside of the flying cow, I'm not entirely sure it's remembered all that much by the GA, again outside of "Oh yeah, that film" when prompted.

Not only do some films just happen to catch lightning in a bottle, as you've noted on more than one occasion, some films really are "one was enough".  Even back then "one was enough" was a thing.  Next to no sequel hook and self-contained story doesn't exactly lend itself to franchisification (which might be another reason why it didn't hold as much cultural sway over the years).

But getting back to the first post of yours I quoted here, "pure" disaster flicks have been... pretty terrible the last ten to fifteen years. The last reasonably successful disaster flick that didn't have a Sci-Fi or Franchise IP angle would be, what, San Andreas?  If so, that's nearly 10 years ago.  Maybe there's another, but scanning the entries for "disaster film" over at Wikipedia, none came to mind.

This isn't to say that the disaster flick genre is dead.  I kinda low-key think it isn't.  But the problem for the genre, outside of the shitty schlocky entires recently, is that the "JAMIE WANTS BIG BOOM" itch has been scratched a lot by CBMs and Franchise monster movies starring King Kong and Godzilla and of course the Jurassic World entires (among others).  Even if I expand disaster films to include films with an overt SciFi angle (and I should otherwise ID4 gets nixed), but still cross out franchise entries, the pickings are mighty slim.  Have to probably go back to 2012 to find a really successful disaster flick even with a SciFi angle that wasn't a franchise entry/starter of some sort or another (or wasn't straddling some other genre).  

Not that I'm declaring the film DOA.  But I am noting that the film environment of 2024 is not the same as 1996 and that it's got a pretty uphill battle for it.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1

Completely random post that has nothing to do with the box office but after I saw anyone but you, I started getting pretty sick and the flu symptoms came on pretty quickly so I spent last night under the covers with a space heater on just watching random movies. Hows this for three pack? We started off with pretty in Pink which I haven't seen in probably 5 years and it's still a fantastic movie. Then keeping with the Andrew McCarthy theme I watched Less than Zero and again haven't seen this one in probably a decade and it's still amazing. And then we end of the night I watched revenge of the Sith and it's still massively entertaining and one of my favorite Star wars movies.

Like I said completely random post but just felt like sharing.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Porthos said:

But getting back to the first post of yours I quoted here, "pure" disaster flicks have been... pretty terrible the last ten to fifteen years. The last reasonably successful disaster flick that didn't have a Sci-Fi or Franchise IP angle would be, what, San Andreas?  If so, that's nearly 10 years ago.  Maybe there's another, but scanning the entries for "disaster film" over at Wikipedia, none came to mind.

This isn't to say that the disaster flick genre is dead.  I kinda low-key think it isn't.  But the problem for the genre, outside of the shitty schlocky entires recently, is that the "JAMIE WANTS BIG BOOM" itch has been scratched a lot by CBMs and Franchise monster movies starring King Kong and Godzilla and of course the Jurassic World entires (among others).  Even if I expand disaster films to include films with an overt SciFi angle (and I should otherwise ID4 gets nixed), but still cross out franchise entries, the pickings are mighty slim.  Have to probably go back to 2012 to find a really successful disaster flick even with a SciFi angle that wasn't a franchise entry/starter of some sort or another (or wasn't straddling some other genre).  

Not that I'm declaring the film DOA.  But I am noting that the film environment of 2024 is not the same as 1996 and that it's got a pretty uphill battle for it.

Important Post Script to the above post

I do note the irony in disregarding the recent success of IP based disaster flicks when discounting the prospects of a sorta kinda legacy sequel.  But I do think there is a fundamental difference between the type of film Twisters is shaping up to be and the, oh say, Pacific Rims of the world.

If Twisters is gonna have any real hope at success, it's gonna need what the first one had: A *really good* trailer/marketing campaign that gets its hooks into the GA.  And color me... skeptical at lightning striking twice in this regard.

Edited by Porthos