Flopped

THE SUBSTANCE | Coralie Fargeat body horror with Demi Moore

18 hours ago, lookingformovies255 said:

"The Substance" premiered in Spanish theaters with a solid €107,000 from 216 screens.

The film landed in fourth place in Friday's box office rankings, and given these numbers, it’s expected to reach between €410,000 and €430,000 for the weekend.

So, it will probably easily clear $30M WW.

It's at 33 million worldwide as of the end of this weekend per comscore and it's holding extremely well in many territories I can see a play for 50 mill ww final. With a 12 mill aquisition price and less than 10 mill on marketing MUBI has to be jumping for joy right now. And I really did love this movie and I'm so glad I got to see it in theaters and that they were able to do that. They were just what this film needed. 

23 minutes ago, Lory88 said:

$33M? Impressive! Mojo is still at $25M.
And it has to come out in France!

France will eat this up surely. French director and weird auteur-y body horror feels right in their wheelhouse.

I'm so pleased that this is turning into a proper global sleeper hit. My favourite film of the year so far, and a rare instance of the 'you-have-to-see-this' buzz is actually warranted.

I'm also holding out hope that these good holds might boost some awards recognition chances somewhere...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lory88 said:

$33M? Impressive! Mojo is still at $25M.
And it has to come out in France!

I noticed that Mojo and The Numbers didn't update, not sure why. I don't see the details or country breakdowns from the top 10 worldwide number comscore provides so it's possible the country breakdown wasn't detailed enough or something for them to update the numbers. I'll check again next Sunday and see what's up. 

This seems to be Demi Moore's biggest box office hit in Mexico. Given how big it has become in Mexico, it will probably clear $50M WW with ease. I expect at least $5M from France given that Titane managed to secure $2.5M. It is also yet to debut in Italy. If the $33M figure is accurate, I could see it potentially climbing way above $50M. Is it too early to discuss whether it could surpass Hereditary? I guess it will depend on whether it will manage to sustain its WOM momentum.

10 hours ago, Lory88 said:

Will it be released in China, Japan and Korea?

Japan and Korea maybe if the distributor can manage it, I believe that MUBI's got a separate arm for distribution outside of the countries where it's already launched/is the launch that we know of. Absolutely 0 chance in China. 

3 hours ago, Krissykins said:

A shame to hear this is on piracy sites now apparently.

Here come the freezing cold takes from the sofa dwellers. 

Hope BOM updates soon so we can see a confirmed worldwide total. 

Even they are aware it seems, the clips from the film are all over twitter sadly.

43 minutes ago, Mad Max007 said:

Even they are aware it seems, the clips from the film are all over twitter sadly.

This movie should be specifically seen on a huge screen with loud speakers (and preferably a lot of other people in the room). I don't think that the leak is going to affect its performance. It is supposed to be a cinematic experience. Those who want to see it will not bother downloading it from pirated movie sites. I want to watch this on my VR headset when it has a Blu-Ray version. 

• Like 1

If a movie has been leaked, maybe we don't really need to amplify that fact? Just a thought.

If there is a box office impact, it's minimal and always has been. Calling attention to pirates even if it's just to voice your disapproval mainly just serves to further advertise a leak.

Is this getting a re-expansion this weekend? Starting Thursday it is going to be playing at the Alamo Drafthouse in Chicago (hasn't played here yet). It only has 1 showing a day but it's selling decently. 

39 minutes ago, Hiccup23 said:

Is this getting a re-expansion this weekend? Starting Thursday it is going to be playing at the Alamo Drafthouse in Chicago (hasn't played here yet). It only has 1 showing a day but it's selling decently. 

Haven't heard anything about an expansion pushed by MUBI but it's possible that with it's performance some additional theaters have decided to pick it up seeing how good the business is for some other theaters. 

Watched this earlier today and definitely it's more of a theater watch than the other films out now. A solid film and amazing acting by both the leads! The body horror is really well done. My only gripe is it's somewhat longer than it was needed to be but that's with most films this year.