kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers [05.24 - 05.27, 2024] | 4-day actuals | 32.3M FURIOSA: A MAD MAX SAGA | 31.3M THE GARFIELD MOVIE | 22.3M IF | 17.6M KINGDOM OF THE PLANET OF THE APES

11 minutes ago, JimmyB said:

My theater was dead last night but holy hell Deadline early estimates. 

Ouch, it’s looking really bad. Warner Bros.’ Furiosa is possibly posting the lowest opening for a Memorial Day movie in 41 years with a 4-day between $31M-$35M. How the holy heck is that? If the George Miller directed prequel comes in on the low end, the last time a No. 1 movie or Memorial Day opening title filed a 4-day gross take that was lower was back in 1983 with 1983’s Return of the Jedi when it made $30.5M — and that was a lot of money back then.

If Furiosa hits at the high end of its current range at $35M, then that’s the lowest Memorial Day weekend opening since 1984’s Indiana Jones and the Temple which did $33.9M. Those ’80s grosses are unadjusted for inflation.

Honestly, I'd just give up if I wanted to make it in Hollywood. This whole industry's fucking cooked. What's the point anymore?

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Knock It Off 1

5 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

The fanboys in this forum won’t admit it but the marketing for Furiosa was awful. The trailers and ads either give you no idea what the movie is about or they gave the impression the film leans too heavily on the previous film that made it seem like a prerequisite in order to understand or appreciate this film. WOM and reviews may propel it over the next few weeks; but this was never going to be reach Fury Road’s heights.

I would not be surprised if Garfield outgrosses it this weekend.

I didn't care for Furiosa's initial trailers, but the marketing for it was fine. If anything I think this marketing campaign shows how much WB has improved in this department under Zas. It's been a pretty lavish campaign.

1 minute ago, Eric Furiosa said:

Honestly, I'd just give up if I wanted to make it in Hollywood. This whole industry's fucking cooked. What's the point anymore?

I mean yeah it's easy to do this in the moment but like I said a few posts ago 3 weeks from now if IO 2 and Bad Boys break out it will be much better. Can hollywood survive with a 3 or 4 good weekends and then 10 bad weekends depends on how good those good weekends are I guess.

So I saw the signs from Quorum and shit that Furiosa wasn't going to open to all that...but I still expected it to at least open in the 30s. Like this kind of flat-out rejection, opening below fucking Tomorrowland, is absurd, and I genuinely can't grasp why for a movie that's still attached to one of the most beloved action movies of all time. It can't just be because this doesn't have any of the old cast. Planet of the Apes still opened on par with its predecessors and it didn't have the old cast. What the hell happened?

• Like 1

People have been brain poisoned into thinking it’s a bad economy and are saving their money for July 

Spoiler

/s, to be clear

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Eric Furiosa said:

So I saw the signs from Quorum and shit that Furiosa wasn't going to open to all that...but I still expected it to at least open in the 30s. Like this kind of flat-out rejection, opening below fucking Tomorrowland, is absurd, and I genuinely can't grasp why for a movie that's still attached to one of the most beloved action movies of all time. It can't just be because this doesn't have any of the old cast. Planet of the Apes still opened on par with its predecessors and it didn't have the old cast. What the hell happened?

Planet of the apes is still more mainstream I guess. Kingdom is also still a sequel even if none of the old cast are in it. And it's not like Fury Road set the boxoffice on fire when it came out, despite all the acclaim it got.(it still did very well)

Edited by Youngstar

2 minutes ago, Kon said:

I'm not sure how Furiosa could reach 29M in three days with a 10.5 Friday (7.5M True Friday).

It's a holiday weekend.  10 on saturday , 8.5 on sunday. 30 m is not even out of the equation.  

Yeah, I mean as good as Fury Road did with the Academy on how popular it was on VOD and blu ray. I don't think it ever had the cultural cache of say Into the Spider-Verse.

I still don't think that explains Furiosa opening to these abysmal numbers. This is the second film that a studio had faith in and backed hard this summer and it is still flopping, and this time it was tied to an IP people actually heard about. Time to press the panic button.

• Like 1

A

T

R

O

C

I

O

U

S

Not even Apes and IF are pulling good holds against the absolute disasters that both Garfield and Furiosa are. People are rejecting theaters.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Knock It Off 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

It's a holiday weekend.  10 on saturday , 8.5 on sunday. 30 m is not even out of the equation.  

It's just weird that Saturday would have almost the same numbers than Friday including previews. I would expect 9M for Saturday.

Also, as it's holiday, I would expect Monday should take part of the sales from Sunday.

Edited by Kon

19 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

I mean yeah it's easy to do this in the moment but like I said a few posts ago 3 weeks from now if IO 2 and Bad Boys break out it will be much better. Can hollywood survive with a 3 or 4 good weekends and then 10 bad weekends depends on how good those good weekends are I guess.

"if" is the big key word here. And those movies aren't looking too good either. We're probably going back to 2021 where audiences are too stupid to watch anything that doesn't have the Marvel logo on it. Oh well.

• Knock It Off 1

Posted (edited)

Oof. This Summer has been off to a rough start. Looks like Marvel will get to position themselves as the “savior of cinema” just like when NWH came out. 

Edited by WittyUsername
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Eric Furiosa said:

"if" is the big key word here. And those movies aren't looking too good either. We're probably going back to 2021 where audiences are too stupid to watch anything that doesn't have the Marvel logo on it. Oh well.

I feel we all need to step  from this sometimes . It's not healthy for any of us. The GA do not give a shit about any of this. They are just living their lives and movies are not a big part of that right now. It is what it is. Movies will keep coming out and theaters will be around.  Did you enjoy Furiosa when you saw it today? That''s all that matters

Edited by emoviefan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Speedorito said:

Maybe some levity for this thread. I just posted this in the Classic Conversation thread, but what do people think of this list?

Alphabetical order: Austin Butler, Timothée Chalamet, Jacob Elordi, Paul Mescal, Jenna Ortega, Glen Powell, Florence Pugh, Sydney Sweeney, Anya Taylor-Joy, Zendaya

I think Timothee Chalamet and Zendaya shouldn’t be here, they’re definitely not “new.” They’ve consistently had critical and commercial success since around 2017.

35 year old Glen Powell being a new “young” star is…a choice (I doubt a woman would even be considered for this list if her age didn’t begin with number less than 3).

Paul Mescal feels like he’s in the same category as Saoirse Ronan: indie darling but with no commercial success to back them. Putting him here before Gladiator II seems presumptuous. Ronan also tried the commercial route.

I like Jenna Ortega but putting her on here seems early. Wednesday was huge though and I think she has potential.

Jacob Elordi, a supporting actor in Saltburn, is on the list, but not Barry Keoghan, the lead?

Tom Holland needs better projects

Fun stats: 2 MCU actors, 5 Dune actors, 3 Euphoria actors.

interesting that dune and euphoria have more people in the list than the mcu, and interesting that zendaya is in all 3

• Like 2

Can someone explain why that Empire City account on Twitter blows a gasket anytime anyone even remotely says anything about theatrical being in danger? It's not a normal disagreement, it's like FUCK OFF YOU FUCKING MORON YOU'RE A STUPID FUCK!!!! 

What's his skin in the game and why does he care that much? 

• Like 3