kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers | May 31-Jun 02, 2024 | actuals | 14.01M GARFIELD | 10.78M FURIOSA | 10.51M IF | 8.97M APES

16 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

To be frank, they hold this well mostly due to how light the market is, and the good holds at this their number isn't very useful in term of absolute number of the BO.

I still like the holds regardless. KINGDOM looks like it's finishing with 160M+, better than WAR. IF now has a chance at 100M. And THE FALL GUY might finish with more than 90M, 10M-15M more than what was initially projected after that not great OW.

14 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

As someone that does not follow the music industry whatsoever, this was very informative thank you. Anyone got anything similar for video games, since I've heard the console market isn't doing well.

Maybe entertainment is just dead.

Xbox has tanked beyond belief and Microsoft is turning into a publisher. Playstation sales have come to a halt and it is starting to fall behind the PS4. Switch sales are also crashing with the Switch 2 looming. Overall 2024 has been an atrocious year for console gaming.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

I mean there's artists like Billie Eillish and Olivia Rodrigo who are still in their early 20s, so I wouldn't go that far.

Sure, of course there is a new bubble of big stars, but it's never been this disproportionate of people who were already big stars or at least close (Kendrick, Future, Miley). It's certainly not entirely the same people as in high school - my point is more that the stars of 2012 were much more skewed to people that weren't around in 1998 than the stars of 2024, which feature a whole lot of 2012 stars.

Just now, CJohn said:

Switch sales are also crashing with the Switch 2 looming

Well that feels normal since the Switch came out in 2017, four years after the PS4 and Xbox One and three years before the PS5.

The rest is interesting though, I understand PC gaming has become more popular in the past few years but I don't think enough to explain the lack of sales for this generation. I don't play video games, but I was always under the impression that it was some unstoppable growing industry that would replace movies eventually. So I guess that was always wrong?

3 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Xbox has tanked beyond belief and Microsoft is turning into a publisher. Playstation sales have come to a halt and it is starting to fall behind the PS4. Switch sales are also crashing with the Switch 2 looming. Overall 2024 has been an atrocious year for console gaming.

I'm more a casual gamer (I have a PS5 and play three or so days a week, usually sports or very well reviewed games like RDR or Uncharted etc), and if we're talking so much product issues in movies, I think this year's slate of games looks far, far worse. I think the Star Wars game is probably the only 2024 game I'll buy and that's only if reviews are good. I haven't seen a less compelling new games year in awhile tbh. Which is weird cuz last couple years have had alot of great ones I couldn't wait to play.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cmasterclay said:

Sure, of course there is a new bubble of big stars, but it's never been this disproportionate of people who were already big stars or at least close (Kendrick, Future, Miley). It's certainly not entirely the same people as in high school - my point is more that the stars of 2012 were much more skewed to people that weren't around in 1998 than the stars of 2024, which feature a whole lot of 2012 stars.

Yeah I see what you mean. I suppose Millennials were the last generation where radio play was a thing and those artists all had hit songs in the early 2010s that would play on Top 40 radios. I wonder how Eillish and Rodrigo were even able to build up their standing enough to be widely known. I only started listening to Rodrigo last year too, so it's not like I was always on the ground floor with them.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

Yeah I see what you mean. I suppose Millennials were the last generation where radio play was a thing and those artists all had hit songs in the early 2010s that would play on Top 40 radios. I wonder how Eillish and Rodrigo were even able to build up their standing enough to be widely known. I only started listening to Rodrigo last year too, so it's not like I was always on the ground floor with them.

It's everything, man. Sports outside the NFL really struggling too, NBA is desperate to keep LeBron and Curry around for ratings and Shohei is probably the only mom-test level star baseball has created since Jeter retired. I don't even see any big new fast food chains or clothing stores pop up anymore. Gaming, like film, is struggling to create new IP to make sequels and franchises off of since around since the mid 2010s. It's not just nostalgia for the good old days. It is tangibly harder to create new stars, new brands, new IP in every single commercial industry in America except the mighty mighty NFL. We just have too much content, too much options, too much technology - I don't know how it ever reverses back tbh.

Not even trying to be negative with this post. Just an observation of our new reality as a culture.

Edited by Cmasterclay
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

It's everything, man. Sports outside the NFL really struggling too, NBA is desperate to keep LeBron and Curry around for ratings and Shohei is probably the only mom-test level star baseball has created since Jeter retired. I don't even see any big new fast food chains or clothing stores pop up anymore. Gaming, like film, is struggling to create new IP to make sequels and franchises off of since around since the mid 2010s. It's not just nostalgia for the good old days. It is tangibly harder to create new stars, new brands, new IP in every single commercial industry in America except the mighty mighty NFL. We just have too much content, too much options, too much technology - I don't know how it ever reverses back tbh.

Not even trying to be negative with this post. Just an observation of our new reality as a culture.

I thought NFL ratings were also slipping

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

I thought NFL ratings were also slipping

Nah they did a bit during Trump years but now they're higher than ever. It's our last monoculture left.

Edited by Cmasterclay

6 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Meanwhile WWE is on FIRE! 

Come see The Queen Nia Jax kill this little Irish girl

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AJG said:

What's funny is that WWE was way early on the "struggle to create new stars and adapt to a new world" train - being run by a senile sex monster doesn't help - and now is having a major boom when every other industry is suffering. Maybe these things cycle. Or maybe Trips really is the Booker of the Year.

5 minutes ago, AJG said:

Their ratings have also dropped huge since Mania. Went from 2.3M for post Mania to 1.6M last week. The mania build and the return of The Rock and others was keeping the rating artificially high and it just died after that.

• Like 3

Just now, grim22 said:

Their ratings have dropped huge since Mania. Went from 2.3M for post Mania to 1.6M last week. The mania build and the return of The Rock and others was keeping the rating artificially high and it just died after that.

It's still up YoY most weeks when most linear TV (including Dynamite) is down YoY every week. Since the Monday Night Wars ended it generally sees a sharp decline after Mania due to NBA/NHL playoffs and a lack of thrilling booking. It definitely isn't quite the boom it looked like in March though, I agree.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, ringedmortality said:

As someone that does not follow the music industry whatsoever, this was very informative thank you. Anyone got anything similar for video games, since I've heard the console market isn't doing well.

Maybe entertainment is just dead.

A bit like music spending having a nice rebound but not necessarily sales of newly released games, video games industry spending exploded during covid, went back to earth a little since but still really high versus 2019, where the revenues go and to who changed quite a bit

50-Years-of-Video-Game-Revenue-Dec-31.jp

Video-game-industry-revenue-year.png

A lot of the money goes into old game, games are now never ending engagement machine:

https://gadgetmates.com/most-played-games-2023

Most played game in 2023 were (date of release):

Fortnite (2017)

PUBG (2017)

Apex legends (2019)

call of duty Warzone 2.0 (2022)

CS:GO (2012)

Minecraft (2011)

League of legends (2009)

Average game was like 8 years old, in the past people bought fallout, zelda-assassin creed,grand theft auto, Skyrim, GTA, played it a while, bought the next big game (over time GTA became an online never ending engagement machine, talking about the pre-2013 online version).

Now they play 6 years old online game (often free to play), and all the loot box money goes every year to the same title that people play for years instead of months and never have to move to a new one.

So despite record global revenues, the people making AAA single player console game, specially those who saw the 2020 spending numbers and hired with those in mind are cutting back quite a bit, record money but the allocation changed.

And they do not need to buy new hardware, they play 6-10 years old game that need to run well on Indonesia Internet cafe computers, PlayStation 4 from 2013 or Switch.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, Barnack said:

A bit like music spending having a nice rebound but not necessarily sales, video games industry spending exploded during covid, when back to earth a little since but still really high versus 2019, where the revenues goes and to who changed quite a bit

50-Years-of-Video-Game-Revenue-Dec-31.jp

Video-game-industry-revenue-year.png

A lot of of the money goes into old game, games are now never ending engagement machine:

https://gadgetmates.com/most-played-games-2023

Most played game in 2023 were (date of release):

Fortnite (2017)

PUBG (2017)

Apex legends (2019)

call of duty Warzone 2.0 (2022)

CS:GO (2012)

Minecraft (2011)

League of legends (2009)

Average game was like 8 years old, in the past people bought fallout, zelda-assassin creed,grand theft auto, Elden ring, played it a while, bought the next big game.

Now they play 6 years old online game (often free to play), and all the loot box money goes every year to the same title that people play for years instead of months and never have to move to a new one.

So despite record global revenues, the people making AAA single player console game, specially those who saw the 2020 spending numbers and hired with those in mind are cutting back quite a bit, record money but the allocation changed.

And they do not need to buy new hardware, they play 6-10 years old game that run well on Indonesia Internet cafe hardware, PlayStation 4 from 2013 and Switch.

Mobile gaming towering over everything else is so depressing. People really just like staring at their phones all day. Why did Steve Jobs do this?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

It’s true that less people go to the movies and more people seem content to entertain themselves by using their phones but at the same time that doesn’t change the fact that a lot of releases these days are simply not appealing to audiences

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CJohn said:

haven't consistently followed console sales in close to decade, but switch makes sense, but is 60 million ps5s after 3.5 years really bad, cant imagine it behind that far behind the ps4

xbox might look very bad, but if it follows current trajectory, then it'll only miss the xbone by a few million 

47 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

Mobile gaming towering over everything else is so depressing. People really just like staring at their phones all day. Why did Steve Jobs do this?

Capitalism. Easy answer for everything terrible.

• Haha 1