kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers [June 07-09, 2024] | actuals | 56.5M BAD BOYS: RIDE OR DIE | 10.0M GARFIELD | 7.8M IF | 7.0M THE WATCHERS

1 minute ago, TMP said:

I think Thunderbolts & Brave New World sound like pretty legit contenders for bomb of 2025

I mean sure, they could definitely bomb but we haven’t gotten any trailers yet and it’s way too early to be making bomb predictions. Especially considering we don’t know the budgets of these movies. 

• Like 2

Just now, Cmasterclay said:

They're making a Tron movie starring Jared Leto, so Thunderbolts would have to REALLY bomb to get on that level.

I know it stars Jared Leto but… damn I really don’t want it to bomb man. I love Tron. Tron: Legacy is a film I watch over and over again. Tron: ARES very well may be good and have a controlled budget (however unlikely that is, I can hope). 

Posted (edited)

I doubt 2025’s early summer can match the ones from 2023 or 2022 when we had Top Gun Maverick, The Little Mermaid, Doctor Strange 2, etc, but as long as those films perform more like Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes and less like Fall Guy/Furiosa/IF/Garfield then it’s already an improvement. The bar is so low.

Edited by Speedorito

28 minutes ago, Speedorito said:

I doubt 2025’s early summer can match the ones from 2023 or 2022 when we had Top Gun Maverick, The Little Mermaid, Doctor Strange 2, etc, but as long as those films perform more like Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes and less like Fall Guy/Furiosa/IF/Garfield then it’s already an improvement. The bar is so low.

moviegoing really is dead 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Eric Burnett said:

The Watchers hit 1M. Which like...it could be worse? I guess?

I was personally expecting Tarot numbers so I suppose this is an okay result.

I was hoping maybe Disney would be willing to add an extra boost to theaters early next year and give their Stitch remake a theater bout, but I'm less certain now given how half assed the Young Woman and the Sea rollout was

1 hour ago, AMC Theaters Enjoyer said:

Honestly I’m not on board Superman. He’s a character that’s kinda always struggled to garner enough attention with audiences, and with this having to follow the DCEU, I think it’s got a bit of a hill to climb.

I'm very much "assume the worst" for all superhero movies box office-wise these days, until proven otherwise (Deadpool and Joker should be fine, still kinda wait and see with Venom). And honestly, even Fantastic Four and Superman are looking pretty dicey IMO. Feel like next year could be like 2023 all over again for the genre.

3 minutes ago, Eric Burnett said:

I'm very much "assume the worst" for all superhero movies box office-wise these days, until proven otherwise (Deadpool and Joker should be fine, still kinda wait and see with Venom). And honestly, even Fantastic Four and Superman are looking pretty dicey IMO. Feel like next year could be like 2023 all over again for the genre.

Superman and Fantastic Four are gonna make BANK if both are good. Little reason to doubt Superman considering the director.

Thunderbolts is gonna giga bomb into oblivion.

Captain America will do fine.

Superman and F4 are gonna be the biggest superhero movies next year, I'm thinking around 600M each. Both could go higher or lower depending on reception. Thunderbolts is dead on arrival, Cap 4 will probably bomb due to inflated budget. 

As long as we're talking 2025, I wonder how the June 13th weekend will shake out. That has both How to Train Your Dragon and Elio. I guess conventional wisdom is Elio will get trounced. I dunno though, maybe they can both make it.

https://deadline.com/2024/06/box-office-bad-boys-ride-or-die-1235961796/

FRIDAY AFTERNOON: Exhibitors and distribution execs, even non-Sony ones, are breathing a sigh of relief as it looks like the Will Smith and Martin Lawrence fourthquel Bad Boys: Ride or Die is heading to $50M this weekend at 3,885 theaters. This is after a $20M-$21M Friday which includes last night’s previews of $5.9M. Last night’s evening shows were solid, and they held up against the first night of NBA finals. Bad Boys 4 has all the octane from PLFs and Imax screens. Very good news after this summer has seen such notable event movies like Fall Guy and Furiosa underperforming.

Sony can further crow about their hold on the No. 2 spot this weekend with Garfield The Movie which is seeing a third frame of $9M-$10M, -32% for a running total of $68.6M on the high end by Sunday at 3,959.

Third belongs to Paramount’s family movie IF with a fourth weekend of $7.1M at 3,582 theaters, -32%, after $2M Friday and a running total of $92.6M by Sunday. That will be 1% ahead of Ryan Reynolds’ Free Guy at the same point in time which ended its US/Canada run at $121.6M.

Crashing in fourth place is New Line‘s Ishana Shyamalan directed thriller, The Watchers, with $3M today, including $1M previews, for what’s looking like a $6M-$7M start at 3,351 theaters. M. Night Shyamalan, who produced his daughter’s movies, also self finances them and then sells them to the studio. In the wake of working with Universal, Warner Bros. attracted him over to their lot. I’m told that the studio shelled out $30M before P&A for The Watchers alone. This movie is not a Lionsgate genre thrifty price-profit special.

And by the end of this weekend, 20th Century Studios/Disney’s Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes from filmmaker Wes Ball can beat its chest for surpassing the domestic gross of the previous 2017 movie from Matt Reeves, War for the Planet of the Apes ($146.88M) with $150M. Currently the highest grossing movie of the summer will see a fifth weekend of $5.75M, -36%.

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, dallas said:

Superman and F4 are gonna be the biggest superhero movies next year, I'm thinking around 600M each. Both could go higher or lower depending on reception. Thunderbolts is dead on arrival, Cap 4 will probably bomb due to inflated budget. 

Is there any reason why you think they’ll make that much? 

Only so many times you can say "this year sucks" before you get bored and have to move onto something else to talk about.

June hopefully won't suck as much though and July looks promising