kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers [June 28-30, 2024] | Actuals | 57.52M INSIDE OUT II | 52.20M AQP: DAY ONE | 11.05M HORIZON: AAS - CHAPTER 1

I don't know if I'm allowed to say this, or if I have to preface that I'm Latino so I don't get points. But from what I've seen, Latinos have not been very responsive to Latino representation even in the U.S. Coco under performed DOM despite Latinos being big consumers of Disney, and of course there's Blue Beetle. I don't think Latinos were even hyping up In The Heights or West Side Story but those films had other pandemic related problems.  What always gets me is that Mario had a larger percentage for a Latino audience than Blue Beetle.

On the other hand I think Black Americans have always responded more to representation. The Little Mermaid being really good proof of that, alongside the Black Panther films.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MightyDargon said:

Why do people on here assume any movie with a Black person in it is automatically a "Black Movie"? This is almost as bad as "Blue Beetle will overperform in Latin America".

No one said it's a black movie except you.

What's wrong with asking if a black protagonist impacted the audience demographics?

Is it wrong to ask the female to male percentage for Captain Marvel?

I'm just curious how audiences react to black protagonist for franchise films. What's interesting is that AQP Day One lost white movie goers but made up for it with a greater share of blacks and Latinos.

So, ultimately I'm glad I asked.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

I don't know if I'm allowed to say this, or if I have to preface that I'm Latino so I don't get points. But from what I've seen, Latinos have not been very responsive to Latino representation even in the U.S. Coco under performed DOM despite Latinos being big consumers of Disney, and of course there's Blue Beetle. I don't think Latinos were even hyping up In The Heights or West Side Story but those films had other pandemic related problems.  What always gets me is that Mario had a larger percentage for a Latino audience than Blue Beetle.

On the other hand I think Black Americans have always responded more to representation. The Little Mermaid being really good proof of that, alongside the Black Panther films.

It could be because Latinos are more splintered based on nationality.

So Mexican-Americans might be uninterested in a movie about Puerto Ricans and Cubans might be uninterested in a movie specifically about Columbians.

I dunno for certain just throwing it out there.

6 hours ago, katnisscinnaplex said:

I didn't look at this one in particular, but in the past I've noticed that these movies get IMAX for previews only which boosts those even more. Not sure if that was the case this time.

(Haven't read through the whole thread to know if this was mentioned)

It helps some but it eventually is down to culture of movie going among South Indians where they adore the film stars and want to watch films ASAP.

• Like 1

I've read summer doesn't have big grows between (True) Friday and Saturday to explain almost no grow for AQP, but IO2 will grow 5M in Saturday from Friday.

Edited by Kon
  • Like 1

Why do I have a feeling that A Quiet Place: Day One is gonna come in lower than $52M tomorrow? I'm sorry but that is a concerningly frontloaded opening. 

6 minutes ago, Ryan C said:

Why do I have a feeling that A Quiet Place: Day One is gonna come in lower than $52M tomorrow? I'm sorry but that is a concerningly frontloaded opening. 

Yeah that initial optimism is fading 

Will have to see how much inside out is impacted by despicable me next week. I know the original did hold decently but this movie has just had so much more demand to this point that I feel it will burn off quicker against new kids comp

1 minute ago, ringedmortality said:

Yeah that initial optimism is fading 

Keep in mind, we're still talking about a prequel that opened bigger than the first and second film. A $52M opening weekend for A Quiet Place: Day One is still great and I don't mean to inspire any doom and gloom, but I'm just worried. 

2 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Will have to see how much inside out is impacted by despicable me next week. I know the original did hold decently but this movie has just had so much more demand to this point that I feel it will burn off quicker against new kids comp

Leaning towards 38-43 million for IO2 4th weekend.

Barbie did 33.8 million on 4th weekend.

Edited by Migs20242

12 minutes ago, Migs20242 said:

Leaning towards 38-43 million for IO2 4th weekend.

Barbie did 33.8 million on 4th weekend.

Potential 25% drop against direct competition I think is asking too much.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Ryan C said:

41 ---> 60 ---> 52

Ride the rollercoaster 🎢 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Ryan C said:

July 4th frame will backload things for Day One. Part II opened on a holiday weekend.