Eric Deetz

Fourth of July/Despicable Me 4 Weekend Thread | 122.61M 5-Day Opening

1 hour ago, Eric the Minion said:

I mean Gladiator's something only old white guys are into. Not gonna speak globally, but I would think the usual 140-180M for high-end dad movies is what to expect box office wise.

Um EXCUUUUSEE MEEEEE

(also young white guys)

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, John Marston said:

It makes zero sense why nothing is releasing the first two weeks of November. The election excuse makes no sense. Are they expecting riots at theaters or something? Gladiator 2 should move up to November 8. Veterans Day weekend 

Idk why they moved Venom close to Joker. November 1 or November 8 would be fine.

Edited by Bob Train

1 hour ago, Eric the Minion said:

I mean Gladiator's something only old white guys are into. Not gonna speak globally, but I would think the usual 140-180M for high-end dad movies is what to expect box office wise.

Disagree. Gladiator is a lot newer than something like Indy. This means its gonna have more appeal to younger people than that.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Ryan C said:

I don't know how this thread starting talking about Gladiator II, but if I could put in my two cents, I find it hard to believe that it will be a massive hit. 

Maybe people genuinely do care about a sequel to a massively successful film that came out 24 years ago, but I just can't see it. It could be one of those cases where there may be a ton of online interest, but no interest amongst general audiences. Oh, and since this film will probably have an R-rating (the first Gladiator did), good luck on trying to get younger people who were either too young to see the original Gladiator or weren't even born when it first came out. 

I would love to be proven wrong, but the hill for Gladiator II to climb to be successful is gonna be incredibly high. 

I'm hoping the film will just look exciting enough for the general public to want to see it on its own, rather than out of nostalgia for the first one. One thing Ridley Scott still does well is epic and cinematic spectacles which anyone can appreciate! It's just that the script has to be good. That's what inevitably holds a lot of his later work back.

Edited by Insomnia
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, AMC Theaters Enjoyer said:

What’s also worth remembering is that the first Gladiator was a big hit but it didn’t make what would be considered “huge” numbers today. So I’m not sure it would get a huge increase even with inflation.

I mean it got to 34th DOM and 28th WW. Nowadays that’s 423M/1.15B

Not that that’s the goal or expectation here now in the current context, but gladiator 1 was a big hit for the time

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

Idk why they moved Venom close to Joker. November 1 or November 8 would be fine.

Yeah what a bizarre move by Sony with Venom. I think they're overreacting re: the election. Though maybe they see other studios abandoning early November and want to position Venom on the other side of that so that it plays big from late October all through the empty early November schedule. Guess that's pretty smart.

Denzel is consistent and reliable for a 40m OW and 100m DOM. But he doesn't have the pull to single handedly bring in 80m OW and 200m DOM.

Plus the interest window for Gladiator has maybe expired. It's giving Independence Day Resurgence vibes.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Denzel is consistent and reliable for a 40m OW and 100m DOM. But he doesn't have the pull to single handedly bring in 80m OW and 200m DOM.

Plus the interest window for Gladiator has maybe expired. It's giving Independence Day Resurgence vibes.

I honestly think the biggest problem with Independence Day: Resurgence was just that it was such a lousy and bad movie. 

At the time, it's obvious that Fox overestimated the demand for another Independence Day movie (not having Will Smith didn't help matters), but had the film not been essentially rejected by pretty much everyone (though for good reason), it would've done a bit better than just $389.7M worldwide. 

2 hours ago, MightyDargon said:

Gotta say, the endless "Oh woe is me movies are dead" stuff in here has completely killed me desire to comment on anything's artistic merit. I'm only on here for taking a dump whenever a movie I don't like underperforms. But this place is now so depressing it's becoming not even fun to troll anymore. There's zero incentive to be a part of this community now.

I am really really not sympathetic to this plight. I prefer the woe is me dooming.

14 minutes ago, Ryan C said:

At the time, it's obvious that Fox overestimated the demand for another Independence Day movie (not having Will Smith didn't help matters), but had the film not been essentially rejected by pretty much everyone (though for good reason), it would've done a bit better than just $389.7M worldwide. 

Both Independence Day and Men in Black were screwed once Will Smith opted to not return. I think Bad Boys proves both could have worked today if Will Smith wanted to come back for sequels. 

• Like 5

Posted (edited)
58 minutes ago, John Marston said:

It makes zero sense why nothing is releasing the first two weeks of November. The election excuse makes no sense. Are they expecting riots at theaters or something? 

The short answer is yes, probably. Irrational or not, enough people have been saying that the fate of the world depends on the results that they're not taking chances. 

Not necessarily about riots at theaters per se, but general civil unrest and bad vibes that would discourage people from driving to a theater.

Edited by AniNate

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, M37 said:

Gladiator 2

Reveal hidden contents

It won’t mean theaters are dead, but that there just is a much lower ceiling for certain genres of film that aren’t significantly enhanced by the large screen format and/or the communal nature of a mixed audience. And at some point, the return (gross) doesn’t justify the cost (budget) and they either entirely shift to steaming, or just disappear as a genre 

It will probably make a lot of money, but it’s high budget means it needs to make 700m+, which it won’t, but the more likely amount of ~500m won’t end any argument about the viability of adult drama

Edited by Flip

Posted (edited)

This fear that adult dramas are doomed really is an irrational one. Like 90% of the movies that are made every year are "adult dramas". Ultimately it doesn't really matter from a consumer perspective that they don't make the huge box office grosses that they might've done before. Hollywood does appreciate artistic merit contrary to popular belief, it's not just about box office gross against budget. 

Which is not to say that it still wouldn't be a big help to theaters if they did start making money, but I'll cross that bridge when I need to.

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ryan C said:

I don't know how this thread starting talking about Gladiator II, but if I could put in my two cents, I find it hard to believe that it will be a massive hit. 

Maybe people genuinely do care about a sequel to a massively successful film that came out 24 years ago, but I just can't see it. It could be one of those cases where there may be a ton of online interest, but no interest amongst general audiences. Oh, and since this film will probably have an R-rating (the first Gladiator did), good luck on trying to get younger people who were either too young to see the original Gladiator or weren't even born when it first came out. 

I would love to be proven wrong, but the hill for Gladiator II to climb to be successful is gonna be incredibly high. 

I agree with you a lot but you are way off on this one.

To wit re adult dramas, I just watched Days of Heaven on Pluto. Pretty good movie but it went way over budget and flopped at the box office. Terrence Malick I don't actually think has made a profitable film in his career, yet he's still a highly regarded auteur who remains busy 

1 hour ago, Ryan C said:

I don't know. The month of November and December are all family films. This offers great counterprogramming, imo. The other major R18 movies are like 3-4 months away and among this, KRAVEN THE HUNTER, and NOSFERATU [I want this to breakout, though], GLADIATOR II is the one that's poised to do well, I think.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bob Train said:

Disagree. Gladiator is a lot newer than something like Indy. This means its gonna have more appeal to younger people than that.

Plus sharks. :hahaha: