Grand Cine

Weekdays (15th-18th July) : The Calm before the Storm : DM4 : 5,7M - LongLegs : 2,4M - IO2 : 2,8M

Enough to make the estimates overshoot a bit, especially if they're record ratings. More popular among the apparently more moviegoing Latin audiences as well. English language Copa audience apparently grew more than fourfold from the last one.

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ChipDerby said:

I guess? Still seems like a small audience in comparison to the rest of the sports seasons

An average of 9.5 million watched the Euros from 3-5pm and then an average of 12 million watched the copa américa final from 8ish to midnight.

For comparison,

Game 7 of the NHL finals averged 7.66 million viewers

Game 5 of the NBA finals averged 12.2 million

The final of the mens NCAA tournament averaged 14.8 million

Just now, HowSway said:

An average of 9.5 million watched the Euros from 3-5pm and then an average of 12 million watched the copa américa final from 8ish to midnight.

For comparison,

Game 7 of the NHL finals averged 7.66 million viewers

Game 5 of the NBA finals averged 12.2 million

The final of the mens NCAA tournament averaged 14.8 million

Right, and none of those really have an affect on the box office.

8 minutes ago, ChipDerby said:

About one tenth of the Hispanic population was watching soccer 4+ hours of soccer last Sunday (probably an underestimate considering watch parties).

If you don't think that has an impact on the box office of a movie that had 25% of it's audience be Hispanic then I don't know what to tell you

• Like 5

12 hours ago, ChipDerby said:

Well the Euros and Copa America just did. I actually brought this up earlier in the week and was told it would have no effect. I guess I was right to bring it up

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ChipDerby said:

20M+ viewers would definitely deflate numbers. It's obvious that and maybe people catching on the traumatic event the day prior impacted numbers Sunday. 

Just now, AniNate said:

I definitely think it's plausible that 80,000 people estimators thought might see Fly Me to the Moon decided to watch soccer instead (or the other thing)

World cup aside, it's the biggest sporting event of the year to have Copa and Euros on the same day. Overseas impact should be much greater but it's still enough to turn some American heads it seems

32 minutes ago, AniNate said:

May very well have been in a factor in the not good Twisters debuts overseas

Or maybe the rest of the world is not as intrigued or familiar with tornadoes. The US has about 1200 a year. Canada has around 100. The rest of the world combined has maybe 200.

19 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

Or maybe the rest of the world is not as intrigued or familiar with tornadoes. The US has about 1200 a year. Canada has around 100. The rest of the world combined has maybe 200.

The original Twister movie wasn't a slouch overseas back in 1996, so I don't know if that's the real explanation either.

Just now, cannastop said:

The original Twister movie wasn't a slouch overseas back in 1996, so I don't know if that's the real explanation either.

No-one asked for a Twisters sequel, the trailer is average and the lead is completely unknown. 

I mean I don't know, I'm just spitballing. It'd be disingenuous to say soccer didn't make at least some people more inclined to stay home and watch TV overseas this past weekend. If legs are bad too then you could more conclusively say it's lack of interest.

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 1