kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers [Aug 02 - Aug 04, 2024] | Actuals | 96.81M DEADPOOL & WOLVERINE | 22.80M TWISTERS | 15.45M TRAP

14 hours ago, HummingLemon496 said:

Avatar 2 dropped a massive 1/3rd from Avatar 1 admissions (48M for A2 and 74M for A1). First Avatar is in the top three of the 21st century (only behind TFA/Endgame) whereas Avatar 2 isn't even the top 30.

To be fair, admissions overall dropped hard in the past decade. A2 doind similar admissions of A1 was never realistic with a 13 year gap. 

Very different situation now, only 3 years won´t make this much difference. It can drop in admissions a bit, and make up with slighly bigger admission costs. A2 and A3 will probably have very similar gross.

Edited by ThomasNicole
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, reddevil19 said:

I think it's a weird take, though not necessarily wrong. It's just that you are wording it in a way to downplay the insane success of Oppenheimer rather than highlight The Blind Side's run. THAT was truly a weird phenom, playing huge in the US, as a football movie, but beyond what typical sports flicks do. It was non-existent outside the US, in a way not too dissimilar to Twisters, all things considered. It just played incredibly well to a particular set of audiences. 3 hour, R rated, partially black and white, dialogue heavy drama, or PG-13 inspirational (exploitative and downright fake) sports drama? I think in terms of obstacles to becoming huge hits, Oppenheimer had a steeper climb, but given what their domestic totals ended up being, TBS's success is probably a bigger "WTF" head-scratcher moment.

As a Nolan fanboy, I didnt mean to downplay Oppenheimer. What I was trying to do was highlight how impressive those 200-250m grossers actually were around that time but I should have worded it better.

2 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

To be fair, admissions overall dropped hard in the past decade. A2 doind similar admissions of A1 was never realistic with a 13 year gap. 

Very different situation now, only 3 years won´t make this much difference. It can drop in admissions a bit, and make up with slighly bigger admission costs. I

Harping on A2’s admissions is kind of annoying. It downplays the fact that selling tickets in 3D to reach that high gross is actually not that easy and the Avatar movies have successfully sold themselves as a premium experience. I’d rather be kicked in the leg than have to see any other movie in 3D but I’ll gladly pay those higher prices for that experience whenever an Avatar movie comes out. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, kayumanggi said:

2024 is now just 0.4% behind 2022. Will overtake it this weekend.

2024 is now 0.7% ahead of 2022. 2023 is still way ahead of it, but the gap [-16.8%] has further been reduced. DEADPOOL & WOLVERINE will cover for BARBENHEIMER's numbers and hopefully IT ENDS WITH US and ALIEN: ROMULUS further close the gap.

Yeah... I don't see MCU going anywhere until they have a series of Marvels/Quantumania type flops in a row. It's not like Guardians Vol. 3, Wakanda Forever, Love and Thunder, Multiverse of Madness, Deadpool & Wolverine didn't all gross 760M+ WW.

It'll eventually fade to the point where a break will happen but that's not now. Will be a bit of time for that.

43 minutes ago, ZeroHour said:

Reading a post suggesting that the MCU is failing because only 1/3rd of the MCU’s movies have gone over a billion is one of the funniest things I’ve read this week. 

I hear alot of complaints about the multiverse yet it's given us gimmicks that wouldn't have otherwise been possible with deadpool and NWH. After defeating Thanos, seen to be the most dangerous villain in the universe, there's really no-one left in that universe that can top him. Different universes seem like the next logical step or we will be asking why this next villain just sat back when he could have potentially been killed in the snap.

1 hour ago, Geo1500 said:

You can ask that question to these who track overseas box office they will tell you that it is losing markets and that the interest is drying out ala the Fast Saga everything has it´s time and place and everything goes out of trend eventually and MCU is losing massive markets because they are tired of it.

Call me crazy but I think big budget Sci-fi movies are the next big thing coming up something done well like Avatar or a colony of humans encountering alien species trying to colonize a planet etc etc. But it has to be big budget movies with original material sources with massive world buildings cause people want to experience an adventure this is one thing James Cameron understands hence why he focusses so much on World building. 

I think there are many brillant directors and film makers who can chellenge him or outdo him in the world building category and sort of profit of that 

Cameron is one of a kind. We can lump Dune in there too I guess but that's a pretty big IP. So I'm not sure I see this happening with this being next big wave of mega blockbusters. I'm not as obsessed with Cameron as others but I'm not sure who these other directors that challenge him in world building are... Peter Jackson was one of them.

Biggest recent movies this summer and last summer were comedies first and foremost - Barbie, Inside Out, Deadpool. Maybe that trend continues?

Edited by JohnnyGossamer

10 minutes ago, ZeroHour said:

Harping on A2’s admissions is kind of annoying. It downplays the fact that selling tickets in 3D to reach that high gross is actually not that easy and the Avatar movies have successfully sold themselves as a premium experience. I’d rather be kicked in the leg than have to see any other movie in 3D but I’ll gladly pay those higher prices for that experience whenever an Avatar movie comes out. 

Yeah it´s annoying sometimes, not everyone but some did write as if it´s some sort of disappointment. 

Iirc, it´s still the 2nd biggest admissions post pandemic, very close to NWH. It was a huge phenomenon with excellent reception everywehre, no way to spin that. 

A1 will always be way bigger because the curiosity factor was the novelty, everyone wanted to see what the buzz was about, kinda like A New Hope that is also the biggest SW by far and that never stopped the franchise to keep being wildly succesful.

People who didn´t buy Avatar concept will never go back after 1 which is fine, but it did manage to keep and please a gigantic amount of people after more than a decade. From now on, the normal path is to stabilize. What i can see happening is performing like The Hobbit, with every movie dropping but just slighly, so they all have similar prospects anyway. 

All this 5 movies will gross ~2B if they keep delivering great reception.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Yeah it´s annoying sometimes, not everyone but some did write as if it´s some sort of disappointment. 

Iirc, it´s still the 2nd biggest admissions post pandemic, very close to NWH. It was a huge phenomenon with excellent reception everywehre, no way to spin that. 

A1 will always be way bigger because the curiosity factor was the novelty, everyone wanted to see what the buzz was about, kinda like A New Hope that is also the biggest SW by far and that never stopped the franchise to keep being wildly succesful.

People who didn´t buy Avatar concept will never go back after 1 which is fine, but it did manage to keep and please a gigantic amount of people after more than a decade. From now on, the normal path is to stabilize. What i can see happening is performing like The Hobbit, with every movie dropping but just slighly, so they all have similar prospects anyway. 

All this 5 movies will gross ~2B if they keep delivering great reception.

Domestically, Avatar 2 is at 48M admissions. So it 7th behind No Way Home (70M), Top Gun: Maverick (68M), Barbie (60M), Inside Out 2 (~58-59M), Deadpool & Wolverine (~53-55M), and Mario (51M). That's very disappointing for a movie whose predecessor sold 74M admissions. No movie post-Endgame sold more tickets domestically than Avatar 1.

Zootopia 2 will easily beat Avatar 2 and 3 in admissions. Maybe even Minecraft/Passion of the Christ 2 can do it.

Edited by HummingLemon496

I would be happier if Trap did 20M, but i can´t complain over ~16M OW with an original marketed solely from his name.

The budget is low enough, it seems do be doing much better than Cabin and even a bit better than Old in the overseas countries where it did opened this weekend. 

Maybe 40M DOM / 50-60M OS. +90M WW for a 30M budget seems like a success to me. With PVOD, streaming rights etc down the line, it´s certainly getting Shyamalan money back to him so he can keep paying for his own movies and doing them without interference. 

So yeah, really happy for him still thriving with his somewhat independent journey.

1 minute ago, HummingLemon496 said:

Domestically, Avatar 2 is at 48M admissions. So it 7th behind No Way Home (70M), Top Gun: Maverick (68M), Barbie (60M), Inside Out 2 (~58-59M), Deadpool & Wolverine (~53-55M), and Mario (51M). That's very disappointing for a movie whose predecessor sold 74M admissions. No movie post-Endgame sold more tickets domestically than Avatar 1.

Zootopia 2 will easily beat Avatar 2 and 3 in admissions.

I´m talking about global admissions, Avatar is a global phenomenon way more than a domestic one. 

And no, it´s not a disappointment anyway. It´s extremelly common for sequels to drop a lot in admissions, happens all the time, and it was expected for an original movie that pretty much everyone paid to see, of course a part of this audience didn´t like it and won´t come back for the sequel of a movie they didn´t care anymore. With all the problems theatrical is facing, is insane to call nearly 50M tickets sold in one country as something very disappointing.

It´s very likely that the next Avengers won´t come close to EG. It´s very likely that SM4 won´t get close to NWH if they didn´t come up with a bigger gimmick than bringing back the OG ones. It´s even more likely that somewhat standalone movies like Maverick (that obviously got a different demo than the original one with it´s 3 decades gap), Barbie, Mario etc will all drop a lot in admissions with their sequels. They won´t be disappointments because of it.

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

It´s very likely that the next Avengers won´t come close to EG. It´s very likely that SM4 won´t get close to NWH if they didn´t come up with a bigger gimmick than bringing back the OG ones. It´s even more likely that somewhat standalone movies like Maverick (that obviously got a different demo than the original one with it´s 3 decades gap), Barbie, Mario etc will all drop a lot in admissions with their sequels. They won´t be disappointments because of it.

Mf PREACH. Seriously annoys the hell out of me when people claim movies like Avatar 2 a disappointment bo wise

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

I´m talking about global admissions, Avatar is a global phenomenon way more than a domestic one. 

This is true, Avatar 2 is the biggest movie of the 21st century in global admissions

6 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

And no, it´s not a disappointment anyway. It´s extremelly common for sequels to drop a lot in admissions, happens all the time, and it was expected for an original movie that pretty much everyone paid to see, of course a part of this audience didn´t like it and won´t come back for the sequel of a movie they didn´t care anymore. With all the problems theatrical is facing, is insane to call nearly 50M tickets sold in one country as something very disappointing.

Disagree, I understand sequel drops are normal but going from the absolutely legendary performance of the first movie (only behind TFA/Endgame in admits) to the kinda just above average performance of the sequel is pretty disappointing. Here's the best way to put it: it is a genuine question mark on whether a movie in the 2020s will sell more tickets than A1 domestically, whereas we're getting around 2 films per year which sold more tickets than Avatar 2 domestically.

Maybe you could try not being disappointed so easily? As long as it doesn't adversely impact the careers of anyone involved it really doesn't matter if a movie doesn't gross as much as the previous installment did.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, thajdikt said:

Mf PREACH. Seriously annoys the hell out of me when people claim movies like Avatar 2 a disappointment bo wise

If something the first 5 months of the year should´ve teach us, is that we really need to be grateful when something succeeds big time and keeps theatrical moving instead of comparing to an gold age that will likely never come back. 

This whole century is a disappointment if we compare with admissions of successes from the past century. Stats are essential for industry discussions, but so is context and history.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, HummingLemon496 said:

Here's the best way to put it: it is a genuine question mark on whether a movie in the 2020s will sell more tickets than A1 domestically, whereas we're getting around 2 films per year which sold more tickets than Avatar 2 domestically.

And yet only 6 movies manage to do it so far in this decade ... and most of them only needed huge cultural crossover of SH characters, the most insane marketing campaign of the century with the biggest doll of all time, the fidedign adaptation of the biggest videogame of all time. And none of them manage to beat A1, which only shows how getting closer to it shouldn´t be the goal for A2 to be considered a huge success, A1 is a type of phenomenon that maybe we´ll see only once or twice in the next decades. A2 should be in the same ballpark of the other movies you quoted, if D&W doing 53M is a phenomenon, so is A2.

Idk, i simply cannot see how this could possibly be an ´´above average´´ performance. Above average performance for me is a blockbuster selling 25M tickets, a big success but quite easily achievable in this type of industry, now 50M tickets wasn´t such an easy task even 15 years ago, much less now. 

Anyway, i think i´ve made my point so that´s it.

Edited by ThomasNicole
  • Like 2