kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers [Aug 02 - Aug 04, 2024] | Actuals | 96.81M DEADPOOL & WOLVERINE | 22.80M TWISTERS | 15.45M TRAP

Which option is correct?

A. Inside Out 2 > DPW > Jurassic World

B. Inside Out 2 > Jurassic World > DPW

C. DPW > Jurassic World > Inside Out 2

D. DPW > Inside Out 2 > Jurassic World

E. Jurassic World > Inside Out 2 > DPW

F. Jurassic World > DPW > Inside Out 2

Just now, HummingLemon496 said:

Which option is correct?

E

2 minutes ago, Ryan C said:

I don't think Jurassic World is living. 

Inside Out 2 fell only 22% this weekend and with literally no competition next weekend (nothing even on the level of Harold and the Purple Crayon) I'm expecting it to have the exact same drop, which would have it making about $5M next weekend. 

After that, it'll be either just behind or above Jurassic World's pace at the same point in time. Since there's no kid-friendly competition until September and Pixar movies almost usually get a boost from Labor Day weekend (not to mention possibly National Cinema Day), I think Inside Out 2 does between $655M-$665M

To comment on this more, no reason to believe it'll track alongside Toy Story 4, which lost almost half of its it's theaters in weekend 9 due to Angry Birds 2 coming out. This was after seeing another theater slashing on weekend 8 from the relese of Dora. Just like it didn't have a 38% drop this weekend and didn't drop out of a top 5 position, I also don't see a reason that next weekend it'll have over a 50% drop.

We can thank Harold and the Purple Crayon flopping for that, and we can also thank both Paramount and Universal for not bullying Harold off it's release date and sticking to September. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, HummingLemon496 said:

Which option is correct?

Most likely A or B

Edited by Migs20242

1 hour ago, eddyxx said:

Wolverine is only character you listed here who has never been rebooted while we have had at least 3 of all the others.

I know he has not been rebooted but doesn´t mean anything he is a unicorn character and timeless. He sells comics and is a cash cow. Solo Wolverine reboots and games have a future and will thrive. Not to forget  Wolverine is objectively more interesting and complex character then the 3 others and I say this as huge fan of the 3 others   

Edited by Geo1500

9 minutes ago, HummingLemon496 said:

Which option is correct?

B, depending on how D&W holds on weekdays after school starts I could see A but right now I'm not seeing it. It's pacing too close to JW with much less summer under it's belt for me to see it right now. 

Edited by wattage
Adding more context

13 minutes ago, HummingLemon496 said:

Which option is correct?

Put me down for D but these all have at least like a 5% shot imo which is unusual

11 minutes ago, HummingLemon496 said:

Which option is correct?

B

That month less of summer weekdays is gonna knock DP&W hard here, it simply won’t have the late strength that IO2 and JW had beyond its 6th/7th weekend. Something like $640-645M seems right, compared to $653M for Jurassic World and $665M for Inside Out 2 seems right imo

Maybe DP&W can stretch to $655M tho idk 

1 minute ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

I think if Alien Romulus is as big as the presales suggest so far that'll be enough to stop D&W passing JW.

Im really rooting for Alien to be a big success. I hope the film does really well. It would be great for the box office.

• Haha 6

1 minute ago, Relevation said:

B

That month less of summer weekdays is gonna knock DP&W hard here, it simply won’t have the late strength that IO2 and JW had beyond its 6th/7th weekend. Something like $640-645M seems right, compared to $653M for Jurassic World and $665M for Inside Out 2 seems right imo

I think the R-rating will help Deadpool and Wolverine as the summer weekdays become less and less.

Those movies usually have better weekday holds than family films, so that might still give Deadpool and Wolverine a chance to beat Jurassic World domestically.

3 minutes ago, Relevation said:

B

You know something epic is happening when u/RelevationAnimations replies to you untagged

7 hours ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Cameron is one of a kind. We can lump Dune in there too I guess but that's a pretty big IP. So I'm not sure I see this happening with this being next big wave of mega blockbusters. I'm not as obsessed with Cameron as others but I'm not sure who these other directors that challenge him in world building are... Peter Jackson was one of them.

Biggest recent movies this summer and last summer were comedies first and foremost - Barbie, Inside Out, Deadpool. Maybe that trend continues?

I will like to highlight that I am not a James Cameron fan and I know he has fans on this board but I am not one of them. I believe there is a catch or a secret behind everything that is successful example you mentioned star wars and imho the star wars brand is slowly dying due to lack of good world building. What Cameron does better then anyone is he understands that the movie´-goers want adventure experience new worlds and escape this world for like 2 or 3 hours hence he puts alot of effort on his world building and the reason why he didn´t release the 2nd one for 12 years? is because as he said the technology he needed to record the under-water scenes was not yet developed so he waited for 12 years. 

The Catch here is adventure aka taking the viewers to a journey across the galaxies and it has to be mesmerising meaning massive budget and alot of world building effort must go into it. The people who watched Avatar 1 and 2 they didn´t come for the story which was just basic but they came for the world building and wanted to see Pandora. 

This is why big budget sci-fi movies that focusses alot on world building is the next big thing. I think alot of younger directors, producers and film makers will be up for the chellenge and join the bandwagon by taking the movie-goers to a journey across the galaxy and try to mesmerize the viewers

Edited by Geo1500
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, HummingLemon496 said:

He's saying $660-680M for IO2 and $650M+ for Deadpool which is really close to $653.4M so let's just say he thinks both will beat JW

I was attempting sarcasm but thanks :)