kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers [Aug 02 - Aug 04, 2024] | Actuals | 96.81M DEADPOOL & WOLVERINE | 22.80M TWISTERS | 15.45M TRAP

47 minutes ago, Ryan C said:

Free Guy was a success and that movie wasn't based on an IP. It was almost purely relying on his star power/charisma to carry it. 

Free Guy is his only non-Deadpool success. If was a flop and that was the only film he has gotten out from his 3 year deal with Paramount. His straight to streaming stuff has mostly just been forgettable fluff too. His success as an actor-producer isn’t that much more impressive than say Margot Robbie. 

Also hard to call him the most “savvy” actor-producer when someone as profilic of an actor and producer as Tom Cruise is still alive.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ThomasNicole said:

That’s what i’m expecting. I think Shyamalan always face unfair criticism over how goofy he actually is. He clearly wants to make horror movies that vents a lot in other genres, including comedic and absurd ones. For some reason it always generate a lot of backlash, dude simply can’t get over The Sixth Sense expectations.

I've only seen The Sixth Sense once and thought it was definitely good, I never had that kind of expectation for him, which just makes me more intrigued whenever he releases a movie. It's not always expecting some kind of horror masterpiece and then being disappointed. 

Also, about the goofiness of his movies, I think in some cases (like The Happening or even Trap to a certain extent), it works either in a fun way or so bad it's good way. There's only some like Old, Signs, and I'm assuming The Last Airbender where it doesn't work.

• Like 1

Just now, lorddemaxus said:

Free Guy is his only non-Deadpool success. If was a flop and that was the only film he has gotten out from his 3 year deal with Paramount. His straight to streaming stuff has mostly just been forgettable fluff too. His success as an actor-producer isn’t that much more impressive than say Margot Robbie. 

Also hard to call him the most “savvy” actor-producer when someone as profilic of an actor and producer as Tom Cruise is still alive.

I wouldn't call him a "savvy" actor-producer, but I definitely would classify him as an actor who is a draw and with the right budget, can produce a solid success. 

He's no Tom Cruise, but who can really compare with that guy unless you're Will Smith, Denzel Washington, Sandra Bullock, Jennifer Lawrence, or Leonardo DiCaprio?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

I find it insulting to compare Reynolds to Robbie. Robbie has produced multiple Academy Award nominated movies alongside a billion dollar hit.

3 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Still only actor post Covid with two $100m originals domestically.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AMC Theaters Enjoyer said:

Speaking of which, I will go to bat for his last three movies and say they’re some of his best work.

They really are. 

Glass is probably the best movie about our current cultural fascination with superheroes. I don’t get the tepid reception it got in US, reviews in Europe was very good, here in Brazil too iirc.

I liked Old when i first saw it but i would like to revisit it, i wasn’t in the right mood i think with the pandemic going on. 

Knock is great, once again beautiful meditation over faith. I know is a divisive aspect, but i do love the LGBT approach of the movie, it gets thematically way deeper representation than the simplistic type of things that gets easier praise without fueling any actual discussion and contradiction that is so fundamental.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ThomasNicole said:

Their Werewolf TV special was probably the best thing Marvel did for D+, it really have potential.

Michael Giacchino has fastly become my favorite composer and it’s at same time crazy talented as a director. Marvel Studios struck gold with him. He delivered my favorite Spider-Man score, made Doctor Strange’s theme very memorable and is coming now for the Fantastic Four. One of the most prolific MCU players.

I wouldn’t be mad at all if he is considered for something like Midnight Suns. I like the idea that Marvel used to have with Phase 3 before James Gunn went out: let a crew of directors and screenwriters take stewardship of the corners of the MCU. That’s how you keep things fresh there. 

• Like 1

Watched Old for the first time today in preparation for Trap and I truly loved it. Think it might be one of my favorite M. Night’s and love the existentialism behind it and how terrifying it is. Alex Wolff is one of those Nick/Disney actor I watched as a kid to really have the sauce (Zendaya, Austin Butler, Keke Palmer amongst them) as he was a clear highlight in this.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ryan C said:

I've only seen The Sixth Sense once and thought it was definitely good, I never had that kind of expectation for him, which just makes me more intrigued whenever he releases a movie. It's not always expecting some kind of horror masterpiece and then being disappointed. 

Also, about the goofiness of his movies, I think in some cases (like The Happening or even Trap to a certain extent), it works either in a fun way or so bad it's good way. There's only some like Old, Signs, and I'm assuming The Last Airbender where it doesn't work.

Never watched Avatar and After Earth, doesn’t really feels like him for me to get interested.

The Happening ended up being quite ironically accurate about how modern society would react to a pandemic lol. People complained so much about characters doing conspiracy theories over vaccines etc as ridiculous plot points and look at where we are now lol

4 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

They really are. 

Glass is probably the best movie about our current cultural fascination with superheroes. I don’t get the tepid reception it got in US, reviews in Europe was very good, here in Brazil too iirc.

I liked Old when i first saw it but i would like to revisit it, i wasn’t in the right mood i think with the pandemic going on. 

Knock is great, once again beautiful meditation over faith. I know is a divisive aspect, but i do love the LGBT approach of the movie, it gets thematically way deeper representation than the simplistic type of things that gets easier praise without fueling any actual discussion and contradiction that is so fundamental.

I need to revisit Glass again, but as far as Old and Knock at the Cabin are concerned, I like the latter and I'm very mixed on the former. 

Old falls into a lot of the same problems that plague Shyamalan's other films (unnecessary twist, awkward acting, etc.) but the concept is intriguing and on a filmmaking-level, it's pretty good. 

Knock at the Cabin is arguably Shyamalan's most straight-forward film he's ever made and I really appreciated it for that. It suffers from some of his trademarks that I'm not a fan of (too many unnecessary close-up shots), but it works as a tense and disturbing thriller that isn't bogged down by a big plot twist at the end or his weird style of acting. I know a lot of people prefer Shyamalan when he goes batshit crazy, but I honestly like it when he keeps things relatively straight-forward because he's allowed to focus on the stuff that matters instead of that getting lost in whatever direction he wants the story to go in.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, John Marston said:

The Village opened 20 years ago. That movie opened with 50M! But it dropped off hard do the negative WOM over the twists. 

Exceptional movie, the best one of his first batch of projects.

Deadpool is probably being lowballed. 

I feel +5M true FRI for Trap would lead to more than 17M OW as well unless it drops of a cliff by tomorrow. We’ll probably never know the budget tho, Deadline is just guessing.

Holdovers looking good and Harold is a disaster.

• Like 1