Krissykins

Weekend Thread August 23rd-25th

23 hours ago, Eric Ripley said:

Dirò che il potenziale di Blink Twice è stato messo a dura prova quando i produttori hanno deciso di intitolare il film Blink Twice. Tipo, non credo che Pussy Island sia un gran titolo, ma almeno è memorabile. Che diavolo significa "blink twice"?

It's literally a movie about men raping women. There's no way to make this cute, catchy, pop. Imho an artistic failure across the board.

5 minutes ago, Eric Ripley said:

I’ve heard incredible things about this film (need to wait until next month for a release here). But even I have not had a single piece of marketing on my timelines, only posts from one of the actors.

So I’m not surprised the new distributor has dropped the ball and fumbled this release of, by all accounts, an excellent film. 

A B- for The Crow is pretty awful considering even the people who were interested in seeing a schlocky remake aren't impressed by what they saw. It might miss $10M total depending on how poor the staying power is.

https://deadline.com/2024/08/box-office-blink-twice-channing-tatum-the-crow-alien-1236048699/

SATURDAY AM: Refresh for updates Blame the lack of want-to-see fare as well as kids returning to school, but this penultimate weekend of summer is coming in at $93.4M for all movies, -33% from last weekend. That’s the third lowest weekend of this summer after the first weekend of June/post Memorial Day frame ($66.3M) and the first weekend of May ($73.9M). Compared to the same weekend a year ago when Sony’s Gran Turismo led the box office, this Friday-Sunday is +3%.

Disney is seeing their MCU title Deadpool & Wolverine take its fourth weekend at No. 1 (though not in a row) with $17.8M (-41%), but in its fifth weekend.

Disney/20th Century Studios Alien: Romulus isn’t far behind in second with $16M, -61%, which is a much better hold and second frame than the previous 2017 installment, Alien: Covenant ($10.6M, -71%). 

The Ryan Reynolds-Hugh Jackman is easily triumphing over new entries Blink Twice ($7.1M opening), the disastrous $50M reboot of The Crowvia Lionsgate $4.5M-$5M, and Sony AFFIRM’s $5M Kendrick Brothers movie The Forge with an estimated $6.1M.

• Like 2

The Alien: Romulus drop seems to be in line with the 1st Friday-2nd Friday drops for the last two entries (73% for Prometheus, 80% for Covenant). It's just a ridiculously frontloaded franchise historically and always will be, I guess.

Edited by filmlover

Didi only 130K. A 45% drop and in 8 more theaters vs last weekend.  Go see it if you havent because it's going to be gone.  A very good movie.

Movie Title Distributor Gross %YD %LW Theaters Per
Theater
Total
Gross
Days In
Release
- (2) Deadpool & Wolverine Walt Disney $4,800,000 +88% -41% 3,840 $1,250 $563,703,366 29
- (1) Alien: Romulus 20th Century… $4,500,000 +65% -75% 3,915 $1,149 $60,939,383 8
- (-) Twisters Universal $1,640,000 +113% -43% 3,206 $512 $244,110,475 36
- (-) Despicable Me 4 Universal $1,060,000 +77% -34% 2,591 $409 $344,939,740 52
- (-) Inside Out 2 Walt Disney $498,000 +49% -41% 1,560 $319 $644,709,114 71
- N Strange Darling Magenta Ligh… $442,523     1,135 $390 $442,523 1
- (-) Dìdi (弟弟) Focus Features $130,000 +60% -45% 435 $299 $3,271,435 29

7   $13,070,523    

5 minutes ago, TMP said:

Does rumulus miss $100m dom?

Could, but unlikely. Following Blue Beetle with a 16M second weekend gives us 115M. Knocking a few million to account for Beetlejuice, I can still see something like 105M.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, JimmyB said:

Should be good for a $7M+ opening, not bad all things considered. I thought this was destined to end up in Bodies Bodies Bodies/Bottoms territory of a low-teens total this whole time, so anything over that is acceptable.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Should be good for a $7M+ opening, not bad all things considered. I thought this was destined to end up in Bodies Bodies Bodies/Bottoms territory of a low-teens total this whole time, so anything over that is acceptable.

Bottoms and Bodies Bodies Bodies opened in 1,200 theaters not 3,000. And they are both arthouse films not mainstream films.

Yeah, this is shaping up to be a pretty crappy weekend. I guess all good things must come to an end at some point. 

Also, I don't think Alien: Romulus will miss $100M. If Deadline's $16M projections turn out to be correct, it still has a very good chance at making more than $10M next weekend and should hold well with little to no competition (not to mention Labor Day). Whatever PLF footprint that The Crow got this weekend should go back to Romulus (at least IMAX). 

It could be at $90M by EOD Sunday or Monday, then it would just need $10M or so to pass the $100M mark domestically. Unless something catastrophic happens, I think this is happening. 

Just remember, Alien: Covenant fell 70% in weekend two despite it being a holiday weekend (Memorial Day). Romulus is dropping slightly more than 60% on a second weekend that isn't even a holiday weekend. Good word-of-mouth is gonna carry this movie to the finish line. 

• Like 3