AniNate

JUICY WEEKEND - BJBJ releases with $111M (DHD)

53 minutes ago, YM! said:

The MCU is about to reboot after Secret Wars. Honestly expecting an Iron Man remake in 2030s.

I mean are we seriously questioning this isn’t a real possibility. Like there’s no way they don’t redo another Iron Man or have Sam share the mantle with Steve. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

Even with 35M pure Friday a 123 M opening (to beat IT) seems very out of reaching.

but 110-115 would be of course amazing anyways. 

Not really. If it does 48m that’s extremely close to ITs 50m opening day. It (2017)’s true Friday was 36.5m, 35m wouldn’t be far off. And I think it’ll be less front loaded over the weekend than IT

2 minutes ago, AnthonyJPHer said:

Not really. If it does 48m that’s extremely close to ITs 50m opening day. It (2017)’s true Friday was 36.5m, 35m wouldn’t be far off. And I think it’ll be less front loaded over the weekend than IT

What about IT true Friday?. It didn't have wednesday previews so probably was bigger than how It seems (2M difference)? 

Edited by vale9001

10 minutes ago, Kon said:

Well, I wouldn't qualify Beetlejuice as a horror movie.

Honestly, I'm not sure the genre for this movie.

Somewhere between fantasy and horror comedy. The Addams Family genre as it were. Horror in the family-friendly Halloween way.

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 1

Just now, AnthonyJPHer said:

I do think it will play somewhat to families, which will help its Saturday/Sunday numbers. Empire can sometimes be a little too optimistic with these very early calls, but is more or less always right when it comes to picking up on the way things are swaying…. In this case, well above what Thursday numbers would suggest and therefore the weekend as a whole could surprise to the upside.

Certainly an exciting weekend of tracking ahead. A group of my friends and I (all 80s born kids) are seeing it tomorrow and everyone seems quite excited. The nostalgia mixed with the good reviews/audience scores have certainly amped up the excitement at least for our group.

The problem with 2010 nostalgia is that the entertainment industry won't let the things popular from that era actually die off long enough.

MCU is still going. Vin Diesel is still grumbling about family. The Jurassic movies are still going.

Game of Thrones is something that could have simmered, and come back with more prominence, and made a splash theatrically. But they've been putting out a series with a lukewarm reception.

Basically, the streaming wars lead to content being overexposed to squeeze every last dollar, that it's going to take time for things to be missed enough for nostalgia.

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

How would a Home Alone legacy sequel even work? Kevin McCallister teaches his child how to elaborately take out burglars in the event of a break-in, criminals do such while Kevin's not around, hijinks happen, and then when it appears the kid is suddenly danger, he shows up in the climax to help him knock out the baddies? Good luck explaining all of that to the authorities when they show up without sounding insane lol.

Home Alone with Kevin as an adult wouldn't work because it'd just be like the terrible sequels without Kevin not to mention Joe Pesci and Daniel Stern are too old now. 

Elf 2 as an idea does suffer from the issue that Ferrell is a bit too old to play Buddy, he was 35 when he played him and he's now 57. 

21 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

EmpireCity tends to overdose on hopium but I will say that BJBJ is selling fucking gangbusters near me for everything past 6, much more in line with what I expected after meh sales last night.

Yeah I’m going to be a little cautious in case he’s huffing copium but I think it has a good chance of over preforming this weekend 

11 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

But upon young people She is cause 68% of kids are females against 32% of males. I can't think at anything could make the movie a thing for that target if not her. 

Honestly, I don't think Jenna Ortega is a big draw for younger women.

I've understood the gothic aspect is pretty popular between women. So, this could be another draw for more younger women than younger men.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

But upon young people She is cause 68% of kids are females against 32% of males. I can't think at anything could make the movie a thing for that target if not her. 

Yes. She's absolutely a factor. No one is denying that. But 73% of the women that saw are 25+. As in, she's far and away not the leading factor people seeing it.

35 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Speed is a legacy sequel I'm genuinely surprised hasn't happened either given that Keanu and Sandra are bigger stars than they've ever been. Sure it'd be contrived for them to end up in some sort of speed-related vehicle plot again but that's why Hollywood invented money and cocaine.

I'm not sure how you can make The Bus That Couldn't Slow Down work as a legacy sequel, I always thought it was kind of stupid they went with a boat for Speed 2 rather than a train and you can't really do a train based Speed because Unstoppable exists.

Edited by Jonwo

For me the biggest sequel nostalgia event of the 80s would be E.T 2.

The movie Is still more than popular. In my country in these days there is a tv spot about a weekly magazine you can buy to build piece by piece an E.T miniature.

The plot would make sense: all the Kids returning as adults with their new sons...e.t returns.. there are millions ways to create a new good story.

But clearly if never happened Spielberg just doesn't want It to happen. 

Edited by vale9001

3 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I'm not sure how you can make The Bus That Couldn't Slow Down work again, I always thought it was kind of stupid they went with a boat for Speed 2 rather than a train. 

Instead of a bomb on a bus, it's a bomb on a car. An Uber car. And you have like...5 Ubers with bombs on them. One car explodes, and then Keanu and Sandra have to save the other Uber drivers before it's too late, using the app to track down their locations and stuff.

It's basically a Fast and Furious movie now, but who cares?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Kon said:

Honestly, I don't think Jenna Ortega is a big draw for younger women.

I've understood the gothic aspect is pretty popular between women. So, this could be another draw for more younger women than younger men.

She Is. Wednesday Is like the most popular Tik  Tok series of all time and there were more female america Kids as wednesday on last halloweens than Total Citizens on France.

The fact She is on a Burton movie with another similar role clearly is a big big draw for the main target of wednesday (aka female Kids- young females ) 

Edited by vale9001

2 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Home Alone with Kevin as an adult wouldn't work because it'd just be like the terrible sequels without Kevin not to mention Joe Pesci and Daniel Stern are too old now. 

Elf 2 as an idea does suffer from the issue that Ferrell is a bit too old to play Buddy, he was 35 when he played him and he's now 57. 

I fear we're entering the age where that gets solved via deaging tech.

In fact, everything to do with legacy sequels is going to be entering the realm of technology capacity. 

You can deage or create completely digital performances.

Audiences don't seem that turned off from the idea (there was a big digitally re-created character from this summer that hasn't yielded much pushback). Studios are going to keep taking it further and further. 

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

For me the biggest sequel nostalgia event of the 80s would be E.T 2.

The movie Is still more than popular. In my country in these days there is a tv spot about a weekly magazine you can buy to build piece by piece an E.T miniature.

The plot would make sense: all the Kids returning as adults with their new sons...e.t returns.. there are millions ways to create a new good story.

But clearly if never happened Spielberg just doesn't want It to happen. 

Back to the Future is another film never going to be touched as long as Zemeckis and Gale are still alive, the musical adaptation is the only recent thing they've approved since the original trilogy.

Just now, Jonwo said:

Back to the Future is another film never going to be touched as long as Zemeckis and Gale are still alive, the musical adaptation is the only recent thing they've approved since the original trilogy.

In that case they already made 3 of that and the time travels story Is not that original anymore (plus you can't really use old characters in and interesting way imo). 

Honestly with like a new young cast, new characters it would end like Ghostbusters. 

1 minute ago, vafrow said:

I fear we're entering the age where that gets solved via deaging tech.

In fact, everything to do with legacy sequels is going to be entering the realm of technology capacity. 

You can deage or create completely digital performances.

Audiences don't seem that turned off from the idea (there was a big digitally re-created character from this summer that hasn't yielded much pushback). Studios are going to keep taking it further and further. 

I dread the day when I have to take my kids to Toy Story 10 and it's reconstructed AI voices of Tom Hanks and Tim Allen as the voice actors. Nostalgia is evil.

• Like 1
  • Heart 1

6 minutes ago, Eric Deetz said:

Instead of a bomb on a bus, it's a bomb on a car. An Uber car. And you have like...5 Ubers with bombs on them. One car explodes, and then Keanu and Sandra have to save the other Uber drivers before it's too late, using the app to track down their locations and stuff.

It's basically a Fast and Furious movie now, but who cares?

Final act is one of the Uber cars driving onto a subway train as a sort of callback to the original movies third act or something silly like that. 500 million ww. 

• Like 1