Eric Quinn

Joker: Folie a Deux (2024) Spoiler Thread

Joker: Folie a Deux (2024)  

3 members have voted

1. 1. What'd You Think?

7 hours ago, Firepower said:

Ridley Scott does this every Tuesday and still gets 200+ Million budgets like nothing happened, with 5 or 6 huge flops in a row (and many more before that). I know he's an anomaly and anyone else would be in director's jail after 1 or 2 flops like this, but one flop won't kill your career if you have a track record. Most Phillips' movies made money, some of them were the highest grossing R rated movies at the time (I'm pretty sure The Hangover 2 is still the highest grossing traditional comedy), so he should be fine for now, maybe not at Warner Bros, but someone will offer him a gig.

Point is Ridely does not sabotage his own film, which is what some people are saying Philips did here just to spite Warners management. I just cannot buy that.

Edited by dudalb

Lol Ridley delivered all time greatest films like Alien, Blade Runner and Gladiator. Even the grosses of his lesser films like The Martian and Prometheus are insane by today's standards. He's one of the GOATs, comparing him to a hack like Todd Phillips is an insult.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mad Max007 said:

Lol Ridley delivered all time greatest films like Alien, Blade Runner and Gladiator. Even the grosses of his lesser films like The Martian and Prometheus are insane by today's standards. He's one of the GOATs, comparing him to a hack like Todd Phillips is an insult.

You missed the point completely. It's not about how legendary someone's best films are, most movies Ridley made are giant flops with some successes in between and yet his career is still alive when any other director's career wouldn't be in the same circumstances. The point is Phillips' career will survive after 1 flop since most movies he made were financially successful.

Also there's absolutely nothing insane about The Martian gross, it's a big crowdpleaser with big stars and great reviews in a very popular genres, it would be successful today without problems. Damn, looking at Romulus gross, Prometheus could make its 400M today as well. And Blade Runner flopped.

2 hours ago, dudalb said:

Point is Ridely does not sabotage his own film, which is what some people are saying Philips did here just to spite Warners management. I just cannot buy that.

And yet Ridley constantly makes big budget films that alienate its audience. Exodus alienated religious folks because of how he portrayed Moses and movie's themes. Napoleon alienated its audience because he made a historically inaccurate comedy about Bonapart being a cuck instead of a brilliant military leader. And Alien: Covenant, well, alienated Alien fanbase. I think he sabotaged Alien: Covenant because he didn't want to make it and yet was forced to by the contract.

Edited by Firepower

Watched it Monday.  Audience basically left without a word.   They gave us free IMAX posters for attending, and I saw one left on the chair crumpled up.  

Musical numbers were decent but did nothing for the actual story.  Gaga wasn't looney enough, just came off as one of those women who marries a deathrow inmate for the attention. 

6/10

• Haha 1

On 9/30/2024 at 8:16 PM, GambitPool said:

In my fantasy writing for a sequel, I always brainstormed a random guy becoming a copycat to Arthur's Joker. The film follows him transforming into his own Joker, committing an even worse act than Arthur to land himself in Arkham. Third act is him trying to team up with Arthur only to learn Arthur is disgusted someone would try to copy him. Then Arthur kills him, utilizing the chaos to escape and stealing the copycat ideas to become a more comic accurate Joker. 

Essentially I'm trying to say Folie A Deux's ending is the opposite of this and it sucks lol. 

My friend and I talked about it after the screening.  I would have preferred the Joker whispering to his lawyer that Arthur was actually the voice in his head holding him back until now. 

That or strangling Harley on the stairs while she puts her fingers in his mouth to make the grin and saying "Oh there you are" a la Peter Pan in Hook.  :D

Both scenarios would have worked better than what we actually got.