CJohn

Weekend estimates thread TA 103,052,274!!

Avatar did not sell 97 million tickets, not even close. The total is closer to 75m. It's still the 2nd highest attended film since Titanic behind The Phantom Menace which sold around 85m. I've said before that no film will ever sell more tickets in one run than The Phantom Menace ever again.

Avatar did not sell 97 million tickets, not even close. The total is closer to 75m. It's still the 2nd highest attended film since Titanic behind The Phantom Menace which sold around 85m. I've said before that no film will ever sell more tickets in one run than The Phantom Menace ever again.

I agree with this.

Which is a shame, Phantom Menace was such a horrible movie, still have no idea how it sold 85M tickets,off only 10% from the original series. Edited by riczhang

Which is a shame, Phantom Menace was such a horrible movie, still have no idea how it sold 85M tickets,off only 10% from the original series.

It actually sold more tickets than Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi did in their first runs.

It actually sold more tickets than Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi did in their first runs.

I had no idea that Empire, and Return got re-released. That 85M tickets figure is even more surprising now, crazy, more than 2 superior movies in the series, that were released at a time when more people went to the movies.

I had no idea that Empire, and Return got re-released. That 85M tickets figure is even more surprising now, crazy, more than 2 superior movies in the series, that were released at a time when more people went to the movies.

:o

Where are you from?

Which is shocking, IMO.But Phantom Menace had great WOM when it opened (his legs are the proof). It seems that it didn't stood to the test of time and people start to dislike it (same that is happening to a lot of people with Avatar).

Which is shocking, IMO.But Phantom Menace had great WOM when it opened (his legs are the proof). It seems that it didn't stood to the test of time and people start to dislike it (same that is happening to a lot of people with Avatar).

Not quite old enough to remember, but it got great WOM? I remember seeing it for the first time, and being in total awe but I was really young then, and I thought every movie with explosions was the best thing in the world. :P But I agree, it hasn't stood the test of time at all.

It's repeat business was insane. Being the first SW film in 16 years is gonna make that happen, regardless of quality. I think the WOM was good, not great.

It's repeat business was insane. Being the first SW film in 16 years is gonna make that happen, regardless of quality. I think the WOM was good, not great.

Still, it was way better than it is today :lol:
  • Like 1

Originally from England, been in Vancouver for the past year now.

Oh, okay. Yeah the original trilogy got re-released in '97 for the 20th anniversary of the original. I was only 5 at the time and my dad took me to see them in theaters. I've loved Star Wars ever since.

It had an awful WOM, but it was the first Star Wars movie in years. Everyone hated Jar Jar from the start. I remember like it was yesterday this because it was the first time I went by myself to a movie theater. Edited by iJackSparrow

Which is a shame, Phantom Menace was such a horrible movie, still have no idea how it sold 85M tickets,off only 10% from the original series.

Just imagine if was on the level of Star Wars OTit would been insane box office. No doubt it would beaten Titanic.