Corpse

JAPAN BOX OFFICE | Demon Slayer breaks all time record for OW

1 hour ago, Giorno said:

Demon slayer manga is basically the most popular manga in Japan's history and the movie came out at the peak of popularity 

It's not even top 10 I would say. But yes it was very very popular at that time when season 1 released 

• Haha 1
  • Disbelief 1

4 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

It has been the most watched series of the year, every year, by a huge amount, 2024 included.

I think u misread the og quote. He says DS manga is most popular in Japan history which is not true at all. And I was specifically talking about how manga did 

3 minutes ago, Nero said:

I think u misread the og quote. He says DS manga is most popular in Japan history which is not true at all. And I was specifically talking about how manga did 

The manga has the highest sales per volume of all-time in Japan and powergaps #2 by a pretty ridiculous amount. So to claim it is "not even top10" is quite silly.

Edited by JustLurking
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, Nero said:

It's not even top 10 I would say. But yes it was very very popular at that time when season 1 released 

It's in the top 10 of best selling manga ever...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_manga

And it's the only one in the top 10 to debut in the 21st century.

It's also the highest sales per volume, beating even Dragon Ball.

Edited by cannastop
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

The manga has the highest sales per volume of all-time in Japan and powergaps #2 by a pretty ridiculous amount. So to claim it is "not even top10" is quite silly.

Yeah my mistake. It's at no. 9. I definitely thought bleach was higher xD. Yeah but his claim most popular manga in Japanese history doesn't hold true btw. 

2 minutes ago, Nero said:

Yeah my mistake. It's at no. 9. I definitely thought bleach was higher xD. Yeah but his claim most popular manga in Japanese history doesn't hold true btw. 

It sold almost 6m physical copies per volume in japan alone, One Piece average circulation per volume in japan is like 4.5m

Demon slayer isn't the most influential but it's popularity is unmatched, no other manga in modern history sold as much 

8 minutes ago, Nero said:

It is the highest by volume which is really what matters? All the series above it have way more volumes adding to their counts.

If you exclude overseas numbers and only take the jp shares

DB is 180M/42 volumes for 4.3M/vol

Slam Dunk is ~121M (last given in 2014)/31 volumes for 3.7M/vol

One Piece was ~416M/103 volumes for 4.04m/vol

While DS has a staggering 150/23 for 6.52M/vol.

Hell, since you mentioned it, Bleach is only 90M/72 vols, a mere 1.25M avg...it's not even in the same league, like, come on.

Edited by JustLurking
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Nero said:

Pretty easily top 3 at least I would say (with dragon ball and one piece)

Personally I would go

OP

DS

DB

but it’s not obvious how to weight longevity vs burst strength and so on

Edited by Cooper Legion
  • Like 1

Just checked out the Japanese dub for Elemental... just checked a few scenes to make sure of something.

They advertised a Japan-exclusive song on the soundtrack, but not only does it not play during the movie proper, it doesn't play during the credits until after the "main" credits are played. It does not take the place of Lauv's "Steal the Show" song.

But I hear it's customary in Japan for everyone to sit through the credits.

I'm bringing this up because they advertised a song in Inside Out 2 in a similar way and my guess is that it's incorporated in the Japanese dub in the same way. Put in the middle of the credits. Don't know if this moves sales, but I guess they do this for a reason.

• Like 1

Also I'm pretty sure they're using Inside Out 2's status as the #1 animated feature of all time at the box office to market the movie in Japan. 

It has some graphics that say "No. 1" and it has the date July 25th specified at the bottom so I guess that's what it is.

You can see this at the beginning of this video:

1 hour ago, cannastop said:

Also I'm pretty sure they're using Inside Out 2's status as the #1 animated feature of all time at the box office to market the movie in Japan. 

It has some graphics that say "No. 1" and it has the date July 25th specified at the bottom so I guess that's what it is.

You can see this at the beginning of this video:

That's not so strange, I remember Corpse saying movies often release later in Japan so they can use overseas success to generate buzz.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

That's not so strange, I remember Corpse saying movies often release later in Japan so they can use overseas success to generate buzz.

My impressions is that sometimes the movies are delayed so as to release them in better moviegoing seasons in Japan. Like June is a dead zone for the Japanese box office, unlike in the USA. But that can also be another reason, to build buzz.

Weekly Trend

*3.4│10.4│17.0│20.9│23.3│24.4│25.2│26.0│26.3│**.*│26.8│最終27.0 Elemental

→7.9x

*7.7│16.7│20.7│24.1│26.7│29.0│30.5│31.8│32.5│33.0│33.3│最終34.3 MHA 3 

→4.5x

Edited by Issac Newton
  • Like 2

Pretty ho hum for Inside Out 2 despite a really good Friday. I think this 3 day weekend will be 550 million Yen for Inside Out 2. Or $3.75 million. A 6x multi from that is 3.3 billion Yen, or $22.5 million.