Totem

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey OS Thread: OVER 1B WW!

Here in Austria, HFR is the preferred format too.At my theater, there's only one screen (the biggest, 500 seater) capable of HFR but those shows have the strongest sales. The 20:00 show for 27th is already 10% booked (presales go only 10 days out), today's 20:00 is near sellout (real sellouts nearly never happen here, mostly for 2D - can't see a 3D picture selling out - who would pay the 3D charge for a front seat?).There are some 2D near-sellouts too but as they put 2D strictly on smaller screens, the absolute numbers are much smaller.One thing I noticed when skimming through presales: There are some school classes booking afternoon seats for The Hobbit this week, which will somehow fatten the midweek admission numbers (otherwise, this is a very slow week before christmas; everybody's at work, in school or shopping till dropping). Moneywise that's a bit less though since school tickets are only €5,-- (€7,-- with 3D), still nice for theaters.

I know that Bulgaria is very small market, but the first weekend was amazing - more than $0.3 mln. This is on par with Ice Age 4 for best weekend in 2012 - here animation moovies has the best boxoffice results, except Avatar of course. Hopefully it will have great legs through the hollyday season and will finish above $1.5.For those who haven't seen it - regular 3D is like every post-converted movie; HFR picture is very good, even in the dark scenes you can seen everything, however like some people said it's like tv show from time to time, so my advice is to wath into 2d or imax 2D if you have it in your country.

I know that Bulgaria is very small market, but the first weekend was amazing - more than $0.3 mln. This is on par with Ice Age 4 for best weekend in 2012 - here animation moovies has the best boxoffice results, except Avatar of course. Hopefully it will have great legs through the hollyday season and will finish above $1.5.For those who haven't seen it - regular 3D is like every post-converted movie; HFR picture is very good, even in the dark scenes you can seen everything, however like some people said it's like tv show from time to time, so my advice is to wath into 2d or imax 2D if you have it in your country.

Yeah, it won't have any competition either. I saw it Tuesday in a packed theatre. I think it might do close to $2m

MarkG from insidekino.de predicts >1mil admissions for next weekend in Germany which would basically mean it's not dropping at all. Presales look good, still I'm not convinced it will do that well - everything below a 30% drop is fine with me and should guarantee a pretty good holiday run.and welcome to the forum @snaiper83

Welcome :)2 people from Bulgaria, it's impressive given it's a small country which isn't English-speaking.And no Japanese while Japan with a population of 127 million inhabitants. :P

Welcome to the forums :)!! In fact and according BoxOfficeMojo numbers, The Hobbit has already outgrossed FOTR (292k) and it is very close to TTT (355k). ROTK is a bit more far (609k), but it will be reached. At least, there are some countries where there are very good news for TH. Edited by peludo