Totem

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey OS Thread: OVER 1B WW!

I like it because Hobbit needed some positivity. TA's going to win domestifc/OS/WW so I'm more then satisfied with it.

But TA`s a better movie with much better actors and the cast chemistry was insane. OTOH, TH had no cast chemistry whatsoever and didn`t bother to build any.

Skyfall's safe WW unless Hobbit has great drops plus it blows in China. Chances of that happening are slim to none as it had a mediocre to bad numbers so far in Asia so China will likely follow suit.

I hope you`re right. I want Skyfall to stay above TH because it`s a huge feat for a 2D movie. It`s also a much better movie. so what are Th`s dom, OS and WW as of today? Edited by fishnets

No.

Yes. It knows what it wants to be unlike TH that can`t decide what tone it wants. TA humor works. TH one doesn`t. TA acting is better and characters stand out. Nobody but Gollum stands out in TH and most actors have nothing to do because the script left them with nothing nor they are talented enough for something better. TA did much better job with characterisation of a big cast. TH didn`t even bother. TA really worked as a team. TH charactres barely interacted and I don`t consider an interaction when they charge into battle as a group. Or when Gandalf Ex Machina saves their asses at the last moment for 5th times. TA has tons of charisma, TH has ZERO. Emoshield was boring as fuck, people who say dinner slapstick was boring are smoking mashrooms too much, any scene that zoomed Emo`s bored paycheck collecting face was the real snoozer. Etc. TA wins and rightly so. Edited by fishnets
  • Like 1

Yes. Even Empire magazine acknowledged it by putting it at the top of 20 Best Movies of 2012. TH couldn`t scrap even 20th spot. TA >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> TH. Whedon and cast brought their A game and delivered. PJ was working on an autopilot and so did everyone else in his flick. Whedon gave BW an awesome make-over from her shit entry in IM2. OTOH, PJ gave us Poor Man`s Aragorn. Wow, that was so profound, PJ. The whole movie was a C-quality clone of LOTR.Yes. You can go NO as much as you want it`s Yes. And i`ll keep replying Yes to your No which only shows you have no arguments.

Edited by fishnets
  • Like 2

Yes. It knows what it wants to be unlike TH that can`t decide what tone it wants. TA humor works. TH one doesn`t. TA acting is better and characters stand out. Nobody but Gollum stands out in TH and most actors have nothing to do because the script left them with nothing nor they are talented enough for something better. TA did much better job with characterisation of a big cast. TH didn`t even bother. TA really worked as a team. TH charactres barely interacted and I don`t consider an interaction when they charge into battle as a group. Or when Gandalf Ex Machina saves their asses at the last moment for 5th times. TA has tons of charisma, TH has ZERO. Emoshield was boring as fuck, people who say dinner slapstick was boring are smoking mashrooms too much, any scene that zoomed Emo`s bored paycheck collecting face was the real snoozer. Etc. TA wins and rightly so.

Hey, I love both of them. Great movies and both deserved great BO.

Great result. :D :D :D

Sunday (12/30) Update #2: The latest overseas stats from WB:

THE HOBBIT: AN UNEXPECTED JOURNEY had another fantastic weekend, grossing $106.5m with approximately 13.7m admissions from nearly 16,600 screens in 62 territories. The holdover drop was a fantastic 12% and we continue to rank #1 for the 3rd straight week across the world, including France, Germany, Spain and the UK. The international cume through Sunday is $464m.

Key Opening:

Australia grossed an outstanding A$18m ($18.6m) from 560 screens and ranked a commanding #1. By comparison, results were:

84% ahead of LOTR 1

27% ahead of LOTR 2

41% ahead of LOTR 3

46% ahead of SKYFALL

43% ahead of AVATAR

19% ahead of THE DARK KNIGHT RISES

Key market holdovers (Weekend / drop / cume )

Germany (3rd): €12.6m ($16.7m) / +16% /€45.8m ($60m)

UK (3rd): £6.7m ($10.9m) / +12% / £35.8m ($57.7m)

France(3rd): €6.6m ($8.6m) / +23% / €23.8m ($31.2m)

Russia (2nd): Rbl 170m ($5.6m) / -64% / Rbl 835m ($27m)

Spain (3rd): €2.6m ($3.5m) /-28% / €17.2m ($22.4m)

Korea (3rd): Krw 1.9b ($1.7m) / -51% / Krw 21b ($19.5m)

Italy (3rd): €2.6m / $3.4m / par / € $13.7m ($17.9m)

Mexico (3rd): Ps 23m ($1.77m) / -25% / Ps 193m ($15.1m)

Sweden (MGM) (3rd ): Sek 16m / +33% / Sek 98.5m ($14.8m)

Brazil (3rd): R3.7m ($1.8m) / -21% / R28m ($13.4m)

http://www.boxoffice.com/latest-news/2012-12-14-the-hobbit-an-unexpected-journey-bags-13-million-at-midnight

Expected further gross from some major markets:

Australia 30-35

Germany 30

UK 25-30

Russia 20

France 15

So around 125m from these markets.

Rest of the markets did 45m this weekend. So maybe another 100m from them.

It could be quite close to 1B without China, it seems.

Expected further gross from some major markets:Australia 30-35Germany 30UK 25-30Russia 20France 15So around 125m from these markets.Rest of the markets did 45m this weekend. So maybe another 100m from them.It could be quite close to 1B without China, it seems.

Another 1B film before opening in China .....

PJ gave us Poor Man`s Aragorn. Wow, that was so profound, PJ. The whole movie was a C-quality clone of LOTR.

There was nothing Aragorn-like about Thorin, he is a completely different character. And how on earth is it a clone of LOTR? It has a different story, different feel and tone.

It could be quite close to 1B without China, it seems.

Does that mean 1B is almost a lock at this point? I dare not say so...but glad to see the initial disappointment was overstated.I'd love to see it do $800M international though, if only to see fishnets' rage. Edited by kowhite

Does that mean 1B is almost a lock at this point? I dare not say so...but glad to see the initial disappointment was overstated.

I'd love to see it do $800M international though, if only to see fishnets' rage.

That`s a stupid reason. What I care is that none of TH movies comes anywhere close to TA and that all TH actors disappear into BBC and shampoo commercials from where they came from.