baumer

Weekend Estimates pg 60 Mad3 60.3 Prom 50.0

I'm going to be curious about how today goes at my theater.Madagascar has some room to grow, but it will have to be 3D, so I don't know if that will happen.Prometheus has far more room to grow, because we were maybe 30-40% capacity most of the day and only 50-60% at night. So it really wouldn't take much to increase at my theater.I don't see it happening, but stranger things have happened.

It seemed that Prometheus was underperforming at your theater last night.

• Founder / Operator

Prometheus's Friday is not different from Inceptions with same midnights too. People should wait and see

Its reviews, CinemaScore, and early word of mouth are worlds apart though. Prometheus will be lucky to gross half as much as Inception in the end.

Do you have one in mind. I'm playing with a few myself. Something about SWATH, Prom and MIB.

Not yet, will send one along if I do.

So boxoffice.com underpredicted the openers...AGAIN.

This is why I don't buy boxoffice.com's OW predicts for TASM and TBL.

I'm going to put on the team captain's hat for a second here. :lol:

Mad3 was under-predicted, sure, but Prometheus looks to land sub-$60m with a good chance at landing right at $50-53 million. I'm not sure what relevance that has for TASM and TBL exactly. You could make the same argument for the predictions that were too high on Dark Shadows and Battleship.

(Side note: I'm not really involved with the weekend predictions on the site right now -- one reason I still do mine on BOT -- but we collectively predict on the Long Range Forecast.)

• Founder / Operator

I think this is a huge OD/OW for Prometheus. Any disappointment is due to inflated expectations.

I'd say the disappointment is a byproduct of the fact that it will inevitably sink like a rock starting today. The opening day number by itself is certainly respectable.

I think this is a huge OD/OW for Prometheus. Any disappointment is due to inflated expectations.

Yeah people were going crazy with this just like they did for SWATH. Both had crazy predictions and they both end up with 50m ish openings.

I'd say the disappointment is a byproduct of the fact that it will inevitably sink like a rock starting today. The opening day number by itself is certainly respectable.

Well I'm pretty sure he's talking about the crazy 70m+ predictions. Fridays number is nowhere good enough for that.

Its reviews, CinemaScore, and early word of mouth are worlds apart though. Prometheus will be lucky to gross half as much as Inception in the end.

Not yet, will send one along if I do.

I'm going to put on the team captain's hat for a second here. :lol:

Mad3 was under-predicted, sure, but Prometheus looks to land sub-$60m with a good chance at landing right at $50-53 million. I'm not sure what relevance that has for TASM and TBL exactly. You could make the same argument for the predictions that were too high on Dark Shadows and Battleship.

(Side note: I'm not really involved with the weekend predictions on the site right now -- one reason I still do mine on BOT -- but we collectively predict on the Long Range Forecast.)

I just think those two, TASM and TBL are being lowballed big time.

I just think those two, TASM and TBL are being lowballed big time.

How is the Bourne Legacy being lowballed and by whom? I haven't seen much on it one way or another. TASM well, it's being lowballed somewhat. But it's hard to say since all of the threads are a mess. And by the way, where have you been hiding? :D

Inception CinemaScore: B+Prometheus CinemaScore: BInception RT: 86% at 8/10Prometheus RT: 74% at 7/10Inception IMDB user rating: 8.8/10Prometheus IMDB user rating: 7.8/10Ok, Inception is better. But 'worlds apart'? If that's your definition of worlds apart then I don't know what to say... :P

• Founder / Operator

Inception CinemaScore: B+Prometheus CinemaScore: BInception RT: 86% at 8/10Prometheus RT: 74% at 7/10Inception IMDB user rating: 8.8/10Prometheus IMDB user rating: 7.8/10Ok, Inception is better. But 'worlds apart'? If that's your definition of worlds apart then I don't know what to say... :P

Thought Inception's CS was higher than that, but its hit-and-miss statistic anyway. The point was the reception for Inception (hah!) isn't remotely comparable to that of Prometheus. Inception's word of mouth was on fire days before release. Prometheus's has been in constant decline.And yes -- I qualify those ratings as "worlds apart" in this case, context provided (for example the Prometheus score on IMDB will almost certainly keep dropping in the coming days). ;) Edited by ShawnMR

Thought Inception's CS was higher than that, but its hit-and-miss statistic anyway. The point was the reception for Inception (hah!) isn't remotely comparable to that of Prometheus. Inception's word of mouth was on fire days before release. Prometheus's has been in constant decline.And yes -- I qualify those ratings as "worlds apart" in this case, context provided (for example the Prometheus score on IMDB will almost certainly keep dropping in the coming days). ;)

Fair enough ;)

What happened?!Shiny day here but i see Prometheus being compared to GreenLantern or Watchmen?50+ opening for R-rating is not bad but i fear the constant decline.All these people who talked about Inception, a 200M gross... well thank you! :angry:I started to believe/hope.My mistake.Now:I want a 400M WW gross.I want to see that movie again.And Mad3 "avenged" KFP2.Dreamworks sequels are still alive...

This weekend crushed last year's comparable weekend. TWO 50 M-openers on one weekend, it's a new record by the way, doesn't deserve a meh.

This is not a new record. WALL-E and Wanted did those a couple of years ago.