lab276

The Universal Thread | Dreamworks Animation seeing layoffs, set to outsource their work

TOP MOVIES

[*]218.4 M TED

[*]214.0 M THE LORAX

[*]155.1 M SNOW WHITE AND THE HUNTSMAN

[*]126.2 M SAFE HOUSE

[*]112.4 THE BOURNE LEGACY

Bourne had a bigger budget than all of those except Snow White. I don't think Universal was expecting that.

As Neo posted in "On the Lot"Wanted 2 is actually being developed. They are moving forward without Jolie.http://www.hollywood.com/news/Wanted_2_Update_No_Jolie_But_New_Female_Character_EXCLUSIVE/42872939"Michael and Derek are both terrific writers. Wanted was a really big surprise in terms of box office for all concerned because it cost seventy mill and made back over 340 mill theatrically. That's like X-Men money, but half the cost so the studio naturally wanted a sequel as soon as possible.Angelina was obviously a major factor in the success and they spent a while trying to figure out how she could be used again, but as you can see in this interview it's best to simply move on and let a great movie death remain meaningful. I only wrote one Wanted book, but own the rights (with the artist JG Jones) to the series as we created the characters and basic concept so the nice thing is that we literally get paid the same again if they make a sequel. Can you believe that? It's every lazy bastard's dream to get paid without lifting a finger and this is why I'm always telling you guys to get into creator-owned. In an industry where the original creators of Green Lantern (Gardner Fox, Martin Nodell, John Broome and Gil Kane) didn't even get a THANK YOU in a two hundred million dollar movie that's an important point.But you have to be discriminating when your characters get adapted too. Better NOT to have a Millarworld movie out there than have a bad one, which is why I make sure my partners in these things are as good as Timur, Matthew Vaughn and the excellent Brandt and Haas. I haven't read this new draft that's just about to come in, but am confident they'll do a brilliant job as usual. The new character Michael and Derek have created, which has been alluded to her in the terrific, is brilliant. I'm genuinely excited to see what they come up with here."Mark Millar

"After the first movie came out, we were supposed to write the sequel," says Haas. "For various reasons, we didn't connect with what Universal wanted to do creatively. A little bit of what Timur [bekmambetov, director] wanted to do. So we just sort of bowed out gracefully."

Universal hired multiple writers to tackle the Wanted 2 script after Haas and Brandt departed the sequel. But in 2011, the studio reapproach them for the job. "We got that call that you always love as a screenwriter. 'Can you guys please come back?' We loved the world. That experience was great. We said, 'Well here's what we want to do with the sequel.' And they said, 'Okay. :lol:

It did so well only because of Jolie. What is with Universal and not getting the point that actors are important in the grand scheme of things. They screwed up Bourne franchise by not bringing back Damon and now they want to continue Wanted without Jolie.

Universal should have released the sequel 2 or 3 years after the first.

As the article states, they wanted to. Seems like the writers and the studio didn't agree and the writers left. Universal tried it with other writers and didn't work. Then they asked the previous writers to come back, lol.

They killed Jolie in the end of Wanted. it would be ridiculous to see her coming back.

LMAO I think that's what Universal and the writers disagreed on. From the article.

"Rumors surrounding the plot of Wanted 2 have come and gone with the various attached screenwriters (including possible prequel ideas that could open the door for the return of Angelina Jolie), but Haas insists the goal is not to undo anything presented in the original film. "Angelina Jolie gets shot in the head and everyone's like, 'Oh, are you going to bring back Fox?' I said, 'Did you see the bullet go into her head?' And they say, 'Oh, she can take one of those milk baths!' We never wanted to do that movie."

This is what they have come up with:

"The only thing I can tell you is that Wesley [James McAvoy] is now, four years later, recruiting a young woman who is in his situation in the first movie. She's got a sh**ty life. He's sort of in the Fox role. This new girl is brought into the world."

• Like 1

"The only thing I can tell you is that Wesley [James McAvoy] is now, four years later, recruiting a young woman who is in his situation in the first movie. She's got a sh**ty life. He's sort of in the Fox role. This new girl is brought into the world."

This is an interesting idea but I'd rather they try to bring Jolie back. It isn't that difficult to write her into a role and the new movie doesn't have to follow a chronological order. I don't think McEvoy is a big enough name to carry this franchise on his own. Edited by TLK

This is an interesting idea but I'd rather they try to bring Jolie back. It isn't that difficult to write her into a role and the new movie doesn't have to follow a chronological order. I don't think McEvoy is a big enough name to carry this franchise on his own.

I'm sure that was Universal's first plan. But if the primary writers won't do it and they've tried and failed with other writers then it obviously won't work. I'm not even sure Jolie wants to come back.