28 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

The Assembly Cut only reassures what I already knew, Alien 3 is the best one in the franchise, and the alternative edition is a must for anyone who has any appreciation for the third film.

It is the most unconventional, weird and visually beautiful of all of them. Eliot Goldenthal score is out of this world amazing, better than anything the predecessors offered musically.

I really like the well-realized religion undertones, which is a fresh territory. I love the epic feel (despite having a small scope), provided by Goldenthal masterwork and Fincher's direction. I really like the idea of having to face down the enemy without weapons. 

Alien 3 was also very ballsy, it took risks most large franchises would never take,killing major supporting characters (including a 10-year-old girl) like they were nobodies, killing people who we just started to sympathize with. It is not something that we see a major Hollywood production doing every day, and it goes without saying that it works very well in the context of the series. No one is safe from the 'Dragon', and ultimately, not even our Ripley.

To quote a review I read:

"Alien 3 is brave in a way so many other sequels aren’t.  They didn’t just mess with the playbook, they eviscerated it."

As I said before, Aliens has the best supporting cast (ie most fun), but this one has the most interesting to watch and more humane supporting characters, and not it isn't just Ripley gets the attention throughout the film, unlike the first two.

Talking about Ripley, she has the best arc of the 3 films here, a perfectly natural progression of a survivor, a hero that lost everything, that sacrificed everything for ultimately nothing, and can't escape her ultimate fate. Sigourney Weaver performance is on another level, easily matching the complexity and progression of her character. The truth is Ripley is one of cinema’s most fascinating transformations.

I will say this though, it's not a scary movie, it’s too clumsy and the lazy matte-work ruins any attempt to create tension, the blame could be partially attributed to an inexperienced Fincher as well. I can understand the hate for the film as it lacked the ingredient that made so many people fall in love with the first two.

Honestly, this is one of those movies that caught my attention despite all its flaws and didn't let it go until the credits started rolling. I would  be dishonest with myself if I said that the first two were better.

Alien -85/100 theatrical
Aliens +75/100 special edition
Alien 3 -90/100 assembly cut
Edited by Goffe
  • Like 1

Yes the 30 minute version is the way FIncher wanted it to be.

Not really.Fincher has said that he would have to completely remake the film to get his vision right. 

It's called Assembly Cut for a reason, it wasn't edited by the director or with his approval. It was edited by the original editor of film, I've read some reports that Ridley Scott also helped.

Alien 3 was my introduction to the Alien franchise. I clandestinely recorded it on VHS in the summer of 1995 (I was 11). It was the summer holidays and I remember watching it at least 10 times that summer. So yeah, I'll always have a soft spot for this one. Visually stunning, ridiculously bleak, and an obscenely underrated soundtrack. 

It doesn't hold up nearly so well now having since come to love Alien and Aliens, but it's still a pretty unique and special film to have come out of the 90s studio system.