28 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Unlike the total failure of Alien 4, Alien 3 is a mixed bag. I'll always be pissed that they killed off Hicks, Newt, and Bishop in the very beginning, but you can tell the film atleast DID try, but came up short. One thing I liked about this movie was the religious part of it. When Ripley and Clemens were talking about the prisoners taking up religion as a way to try and rehabilitate, it appeared it disappeared back on earth. It would've been cool if they went into this some more. Also, Morse had the best scene of the movie. "FUCK!"Also, the CGI shots of the Alien in this movie are just god awful and completely takes you out of the film whenever it happens. But there are some really good practical Alien scenes in the movie as well.C-

Unlike the total failure of Alien 4, Alien 3 is a mixed bag. I'll always be pissed that they killed off Hicks, Newt, and Bishop in the very beginning, but you can tell the film atleast DID try, but came up short. One thing I liked about this movie was the religious part of it. When Ripley and Clemens were talking about the prisoners taking up religion as a way to try and rehabilitate, it appeared it disappeared back on earth. It would've been cool if they went into this some more. Also, Morse had the best scene of the movie. "FUCK!"Also, the CGI shots of the Alien in this movie are just god awful and completely takes you out of the film whenever it happens. But there are some really good practical Alien scenes in the movie as well.C-

I thought it was CGI when I first saw it but it's actually a puppet filmed with a blu screen and inserted back into the original footage. The matte work was really poor though so it looked terrible.
  • Like 1

Yes the 30 minute version is the way FIncher wanted it to be.

Yeah, I need to check this out. The Anthology set costs a pretty penny though. Btw, which one did you think Alien 3 was 2nd to, Alien or Aliens? Just curious. Edited by Shpongle

Yeah, I need to check this out. The Anthology set costs a pretty penny though. Btw, which one did you think Alien 3 was 2nd to, Alien or Aliens? Just curious.

AlienAlien 3AliensAlien 4but i have seen Aliens in a long time. I rewatching tonight. Is the Anthology still on sale I got mine for $30 dollars.

Interesting. While I don't agree that Alien 3 is better than Aliens, I DO agree the mythology of the Alien went out of the window in Aliens. Cameron took the easy road and turned them into giant killer space ants(Queen, Hive, etc..). I still give Aliens an A+ because its an excellent film in its own right, but in the context of being a sequel to Alien, I never entirely saw it as one and as more of a continuation of Ripley's character. Thats one thing Alien definitely has over Aliens is its mythology IMO.

Edited by Shpongle

A disappointment. In fact, the troubled production of the movie is more interesting than the actual movie (Wooden planet, anyone?).

But it has grown on me over the years. Still a mixed bag, but not as bad as some claim. Sits comfortably as the third best alien movie. The Assembly Cut from 2003 is worth checking out.

• Like 1

As a hardcore Alien fan, this is when the series started getting dumb. They should have just kept with two and been done with it. The story in this one is a bit far-fetched for me (not as bad as Alien 4). Just all seemed like a cheap way to extend the series in my opinion, not to mention make it more of a gore fest rather than a survival/thriller like the other two were. The only great moment in the film for me was Ripley's speech to them about how the company could honestly give two shits about them. There other good speeches/moments, but overall didn't make up for the overall poor story.

I give it a 6/10.