mmacader

Monday's top movies: 1. BRAVE - $9M ($75M), 2. MADAGASCAR 3 - $3M ($160M), 3. ABE LINCOLN - $2M ($18

Hey this might seem like a really stupid question to most on this forum, but why did Brave decrease on its OW Saturday, yet Up increased pretty nicely.Why was Brave more frontloaded? Time of release I assume?

Good question. I'm guessing because Up was released in May, during a holiday weekend...?Edit: Whups. Not the holiday. It was the 25th that year. Edited by YoursTruly

No one with half a brain thinks TA is having a better run than frickin' Titanic. Still, box office runs like TA don't come along too often... you should enjoy it.

On this site of course. But it's bothersome when you hear it on the radio or read it in a magazine because most people will think it to be true because those venues don't get all detailed about a movie's run, of course.And trust me, I am enjoying TA's run. It's INCREDIBLE.
  • Like 1

The suspense is going to kill me until the actuals come out this afternoon. Will TA be over $1M or not? I'm pretty sure it will be today because of the discount effect... so yesterday is key!It's one of the best, not THE best run of all time. I totally agree with you on it not being a top 100 movie, though.

I tend to think it's the best because it was released after VHS were around, after cinema had declined a bit in terms of entertainment value (it was no longer what it was vs going to the movies in the 70's is what I'm getting at), it did all this in ONE run which is key. GWTW and others had re-releases and such. So IMO, I think it's the best run ever.ET can give it a damn good run for its money though.

I tend to think it's the best because it was released after VHS were around, after cinema had declined a bit in terms of entertainment value (it was no longer what it was vs going to the movies in the 70's is what I'm getting at), it did all this in ONE run which is key. GWTW and others had re-releases and such. So IMO, I think it's the best run ever.ET can give it a damn good run for its money though.

I would argue for MBFGW. That movie was never number 1 and yet went on to make over 240M.
  • Like 1

On a smaller scale, but yes, an impressive one nonetheless. Odd that it isn't a very remembered film considering its run.

I think it's because as you said, it was on a smaller scale. Actually I'm not a huge fan of either movie but I have to respect the runs they had. Awesome legs always impress me more than gigantic OWs. I've always been a leg man myself. ;)

I think it's because as you said, it was on a smaller scale. Actually I'm not a huge fan of either movie but I have to respect the runs they had. Awesome legs always impress me more than gigantic OWs. I've always been a leg man myself. ;)

Agreed. Didn't think they were incredible quality wise, especially Greek Wedding. But those runs are likely to never be repeated.

Leg man.. nice.

So those who like the gargantuan openings are breast men because they like the frontloadedness? <_<

I'm an ass man, so what would that make me in terms of box office? I like the tail end of runs? Guess I should be going nuts over TA's last couple weeks huh? :blink:

Alright.. enough with that nonsense. :P

• Like 1

My Big Fat Long-ass Movie Title is a decent movie, but I'm baffled that it was so huge.

It's a pretty funny look at different cultures clashing and the US is very multicultural so I can see why it would've played well.

Agreed. Didn't think they were incredible quality wise, especially Greek Wedding. But those runs are likely to never be repeated.

Leg man.. nice.

So those who like the gargantuan openings are breast men because they like the frontloadedness? <_<

I'm an ass man, so what would that make me in terms of box office? I like the tail end of runs? Guess I should be going nuts over TA's last couple weeks huh? :blink:

Alright.. enough with that nonsense. :P

I'm not even going to try to top that. :lol:

Some of the leggiest movies ever, oddly, never do it for me all that often.MBFGW - ehh, I could do without it. Nothing great IMO.Titanic - beautiful movie, but I don't think it's a a top 100.Avatar - great visuals and a fun cinematic experience, but certainly not even in top 200 for me.ET - fun, but ehhh.Forrest Gump - great movie I'll admit, but a bit overrated. Probably one of my favorite on this list.Lion King - the shiznit.

Some of the leggiest movies ever, oddly, never do it for me all that often.MBFGW - ehh, I could do without it. Nothing great IMO.Titanic - beautiful movie, but I don't think it's a a top 100.Avatar - great visuals and a fun cinematic experience, but certainly not even in top 200 for me.ET - fun, but ehhh.Forrest Gump - great movie I'll admit, but a bit overrated. Probably one of my favorite on this list.Lion King - the shiznit.

Titanic and E.T. are my two favorite movies.

Well if you're only counting the first run, then TA will pass Titanic as the second best "first run" of all time. I'm only talking in dollars there.Titanic also had advantages over later films, including Avatar. DVD and piracy weren't factors, gaming wasn't the entertainment beast it is now, and of course there was no VOD / streaming... let alone mobile video (like Netflix on a smartphone). I'd argue that Titanic was the last of the 70's / 80's era style runs. In that sense it is not very different from ET, SW, Jaws, etc. It's closer to the conditions those films faced than movies face now, anyway.
  • Like 2