Neo

Big Hero 6 | November 7, 2014 | Now available on home video

• Founder / Operator

There really isn't any reason to get a trailer any earlier than this summer. Although I'd guess it's possible we could see one attached to CA2, given the superhero connection.

Probably with GOTG, I'd imagine. After the dearth of July, it's shaping up to be the perfect late summer mini-blockbuster to debut a trailer in front of.

Edited by ShawnMR

Can't wait to see the trailer. When can we expect it?

I think we got the first Frozen teaser (The one with Olaf and Sven) in June 2013. It was kind of lame and ended up having almost nothing to do with the released movie. I'm expecting the BH6 teaser around June too.

Probably with GOTG, I'd imagine. After the dearth of July, it's shaping up to be the perfect late summer mini-blockbuster to debut a trailer in front of.

Yeah, I'd definitely expect one around that time. (Planes 2 might be more likely, though. But perhaps both.)

• Founder / Operator

Planes 2 is a good guess.

Definitely a possibility. I though BH6 was supposed to lean a little more mature/darker than the typical kiddie Disney animation fare like Planes 2, though. I think GOTG would make a better fit for obvious reasons.

• Founder / Operator

There's no reason the trailer can't be attached to both.

Although they're getting released within a couple weeks of each other. How often does a trailer get attached to films like that?

Not very often.

EDIT: Unless the theaters choose to screen it, but in terms of actually being "attached" (requested by the studio to screen in front of a specific movie), usually it's only one. Rallax or some of the other folks working at theaters currently can probably elaborate on that a bit more, but that was my experience when I worked at a theater.

Edited by ShawnMR
  • Like 1

• Founder / Operator

Perhaps, but not unprecedented. If they want to get awareness out before Planes that would be the way to go.

Any other year and I'd agree, but Marvel has two other fish to fry before BH6. I'd love to be wrong, but I don't think we'll see anything until July/August.

• Like 1

Might as well launch with DoFP in that case. They'll have more closely related audiences.

Yeah, thanks to the Marvel connection, there's a decent chance that BH6 will attract a subset of viewers who don't usually watch animated films in theaters. (And they'll probably need that extra audience because I have a feeling this movie won't appeal to a good portion of the usual animated movie fanbase.) It'll be interesting to see how they focus the marketing for this movie. The usual kids demo should be the bread and butter for this film still, so you'd think they'd market it normally on kids channels etc, but there should be an opportunity to attract a different audience too. They might need multiple marketing paths though. Perhaps different trailers, one to appeal to younger kids, and one to appeal to an older audience.

• Like 1

• Founder / Operator

Yeah, thanks to the Marvel connection, there's a decent chance that BH6 will attract a subset of viewers who don't usually watch animated films in theaters. (And they'll probably need that extra audience because I have a feeling this movie won't appeal to a good portion of the usual animated movie fanbase.) It'll be interesting to see how they focus the marketing for this movie. The usual kids demo should be the bread and butter for this film still, so you'd think they'd market it normally on kids channels etc, but there should be an opportunity to attract a different audience too. They might need multiple marketing paths though. Perhaps different trailers, one to appeal to younger kids, and one to appeal to an older audience.

I'm sure I'll change my tune once we have something tangible to go on, but for now, all of your points are the very reasons why I think it'll be fortunate to crack $100-125m domestic.

Between GOTG and BH6, Marvel is definitely going to be testing how far their reach extends this year. At this point, I feel like even Ant-Man has more built-in potential right now.

• Founder / Operator

Its a WDAS movie.

Yeah, but it's based on a Marvel property and they're one in the same as Disney now. The umbrella studio always has final say in marketing strategies, and I think Marvel would be totally on board with holding out until mid-to-late summer before releasing a trailer for this.

Edited by ShawnMR