Neo

Big Hero 6 | November 7, 2014 | Now available on home video

That would be the far smarter thing to do looking at Tangled and Frozen. Disney is winning with that release date. I hope this movie doesn't skew too boy appealing. The female audience is the most important one at the box office today.

Honestly that may be the reason to leave it on this date...it'll play more like WreckIt Ralph, ape that instead of trying to mimic Frozen.
  • Like 1

I see this doing Wreck-It Ralph numbers. All the girls who loved Frozen will be ready for another Disney Princess movie, but will be hit with this instead. There will bound to be some disappointment. :mellow:

There shouldn't be disapointment...people should expect this not to do Frozen numbers.WreckIt Ralph numbers though would be excellent.
  • Like 2

There shouldn't be disapointment...people should expect this not to do Frozen numbers.WreckIt Ralph numbers though would be excellent.

They really need to advertise the female members of the Big Hero 6 team for this movie to do very well. Girls want someone to relate to. Frozen has a huge female audience from little girls, teens, and adults.

They really need to advertise the female members of the Big Hero 6 team for this movie to do very well. Girls want someone to relate to. Frozen has a huge female audience from little girls, teens, and adults.

I think some realism that this isn't going to capture that audience like FroZen, along with some marketing to broaden the appeal...is the right recipe.Don't get carried away with expectations this will be the next Frozen though...is key.It's funny though, Disney really has three movies that could do 200m plus in 2014...they are all Marvel related (or just straight up Marvel).Actually I wonder how they'll play that connection. Edited by kowhite

Disney is going to market this thing as "from the creators of Tangled, Wreck It Ralph and Frozen". It worked for DreamWorks and PIXAR for years so it should work for WDAS too.

Actually, I bet they say from the creators of those films...and Marvel!I mean, take advantage.
  • Like 2

I think some realism that this isn't going to capture that audience like FroZen, along with some marketing to broaden the appeal...is the right recipe.Don't get carried away with expectations this will be the next Frozen though...is key.It's funny though, Disney really has three movies that could do 200m plus in 2014...they are all Marvel related (or just straight up Marvel).Actually I wonder how they'll play that connection.

I would be really happy with 250M DOM for Big Hero 6. It will hopefully make more than WIR because of the all good will build from Frozen.

300M DOM is still difficult for computer animated movies. Only six movies have done it, and four of those were sequels.

Honestly that may be the reason to leave it on this date...it'll play more like WreckIt Ralph, ape that instead of trying to mimic Frozen.

But it's just a flat-out worse release date than Thanksgiving. It's the date you should take if you can't slot your movie into the better slot. It's not a date that's better for boy-focused films. Disney has the strength as a studio right now. They should force Home to move.

I think some realism that this isn't going to capture that audience like FroZen, along with some marketing to broaden the appeal...is the right recipe.Don't get carried away with expectations this will be the next Frozen though...is key.It's funny though, Disney really has three movies that could do 200m plus in 2014...they are all Marvel related (or just straight up Marvel).Actually I wonder how they'll play that connection.

Four. Maleficent definitely has the potential to hit 200M. I'd say there's also an extremely outside shot that Into the Woods does it, if only because it's Disney's next musical.

I would be really happy with 250M DOM for Big Hero 6. It will hopefully make more than WIR because of the all good will build from Frozen.

300M DOM is still difficult for computer animated movies. Only six movies have done it, and four of those were sequels.

Difficult for animation in general. Besides those six, only The Lion King did it as well.

And while nobody expects BH6 to do Frozen numbers, its stock has definitely risen thanks to Frozen, so if it only does WiR numbers at this point, it will probably be a mild disappointment, though a successful one. (Somewhat similar to Thor 2, actually.)

But it's just a flat-out worse release date than Thanksgiving. It's the date you should take if you can't slot your movie into the better slot. It's not a date that's better for boy-focused films. Disney has the strength as a studio right now. They should force Home to move.

I don't know if that's necessarily true. The last time Dreamworks put a movie on Thanksgiving it did significantly worse than its previous early November films.

Also, Pixar's had quite a bit of success with early November releases.

Edited by tribefan695

Four. Maleficent definitely has the potential to hit 200M. I'd say there's also an extremely outside shot that Into the Woods does it, if only because it's Disney's next musical.

Difficult for animation in general. Besides those six, only The Lion King did it as well.

And while nobody expects BH6 to do Frozen numbers, its stock has definitely risen thanks to Frozen, so if it only does WiR numbers at this point, it will probably be a mild disappointment, though a successful one. (Somewhat similar to Thor 2, actually.)

Home is such a terribly generic title. FOX should have learned that titles that are adjectives are what's in right now. ;)

I specifically typed computer animation because I didn't want to mention that freak of nature phenomenon, The Lion King. It's one of my favorites, but I don't like comparing it to recent movies.

I agree that BH6 has a much worst release date than Frozen, I also wish Disney would move it to Thanksgiving Day. It really worked out for Tangled and Frozen.

I don't know if that's necessarily true. The last time Dreamworks put a movie on Thanksgiving it did significantly worse than its previous early November films.

Also, Pixar's had quite a bit of success with early November releases.

It's possible to be successful in the early November slot, but it's pretty much dooming your movie to a one month run, because it will die post-Thanksgiving. If you take the Thanksgiving slot, you get the bonus from the immediate holiday, and even with the post-holiday drop, there's probably enough juice to get you INTO the Christmas boost, even if you don't expect to perform on the level of Frozen. (Which would be a dumb assumption to make for any film, at least until it happens.)

I get that studios keep wanting to dodge the behemoth that takes the pre-Thanksgiving slot. Disney apparently got gunshy when Bolt went up against the first Twilight and wasn't able to break out. But they've seen three surprising successes in the Thanksgiving slot (Enchanted, Tangled, and Frozen). The studio has clout and they might as well take the best advantage of it.

I think that Thor 2 and WiR did okay. It's just that with the size of their openings, it's readily apparent that their legs were not up to snuff. And even the PIxar successes like MI and The Incredibles had strong openings but less than stellar legs. The aforementioned mid-November behemoth is more likely to hurt the early November film than the one opening over Thanksgiving.

Rise of the Guardians, for all that it disappointed in the final, did pretty well over Christmas relative to its opening.

I think dramas/fairy tales as a whole tend to get more of a gain from the holiday bump than action movies. It also would face a lot more competition in December than Frozen did. 

You have to also wonder if that Christmas bump is just because less people saw it on the first few weekends than they would have otherwise.

Edited by tribefan695

BH6, like Frozen before it, is being highly underestimated. At the heart of the story is a young boy building a robot in memory of his dead elder brother, the characters are vibrant (including the two heroines who Disney should really push in their marketing to appeal to girls) and it is a superhero team-up movie from Marvel AND Disney Animation. Plus it now has the advantage of being "From the makers of Frozen"! The promos could and should be truly epic, catching everybody's interest!

• Like 2

BH6, like Frozen before it, is being highly underestimated. At the heart of the story is a young boy building a robot in memory of his dead elder brother, the characters are vibrant (including the two heroines who Disney should really push in their marketing to appeal to girls) and it is a superhero team-up movie from Marvel AND Disney Animation. Plus it now has the advantage of being "From the makers of Frozen"! The promos could and should be truly epic, catching everybody's interest!

Exactly. I have full faith in it. It's probably won't be as dramatic as Frozen, but surely will be a ton of fun. It has a smash hit written all over it. It's marvel, superheroes, kids, disney, it has everything to be good and popular. I won't get my hopes too high, though. Probably won't watch any trailers too, to not spoil anything for myself.

Edited by portgas
  • Like 1