Neo

Big Hero 6 | November 7, 2014 | Now available on home video

Those would be pretty bad legs.

261M off a 70M weekend are pretty healthy legs, IMO, if not overwhelming. Btw, one would think the movie would have been a bigger phenomenon given its quality. Was the reason for its relatively moderate performance the fact that it came out before the current peak of superhero craze that started with IM and TDK in 2008? If The Incredibles had been released now it would have made a lot more than it did ten years ago, that for sure. BH6 has the Marvel fanaticism working in its favour that TI didn't have, plus Frozen goodwill and the fact that it will have more heart (little boy building a robot in the memory of his deceased elder brother) than Incredibles gives it a pretty big edge over Pixar's take on superheroes.

• Like 1

Incredibles adjusts to $350 million today. That's pretty solid considering no Disney film between Lion King and Frozen even came close to that mark.

The Frozen goodwill will be what gets this over a $50 million opening, but I really doubt it'll be much bigger. It just sounds too much like a Saturday morning cartoon, and I can't imagine the Marvel fandom lining up for a kids movie.

Edited by tribefan695

Incredibles adjusts to $350 million today. That's pretty solid considering no Disney film between Lion King and Frozen even came close to that mark.

The Frozen goodwill will be what gets this over a $50 million opening, but I really doubt it'll be much bigger. It just sounds too much like a Saturday morning cartoon, and I can't imagine the Marvel fandom lining up for a kids movie.

You mean between The Lion King and Frozen. For Mulan, Tarzan, Tangled and Wreck-It Ralph were all bigger than Pocahontas.

Still think the marketing will make this huge. How are they not going to advertise "From the makers of Frozen AND Avengers" in the promos? The characters have potential to be fantastic. One in particular, Fred, is like a badass superhero take on the typical Disney sidekick character, while Honey Lemon is basically a superhero take on the modern Disney princesses like Rapunzel and Anna. Kids of both genders will eat it up and drag their parents to watch it. Parents too will be intrigued by the Disney Animation meets Marvel novel concept. That should ensure a HUGE OW. And I have a strong feeling the quality will be there to give it enormously strong legs.

• Like 1

I seriously doubt they'll use that line. When MI4 came out they didn't mention it was from the director of The Incredibles and Ratatouille.

If anything they'll say it's from the director of Bolt, and maybe they'll throw in "makers of Frozen". You don't want to position your movie in a no-man's land where it seems too violent for kids but too juvenile for adults.

Edited by tribefan695

I seriously doubt they'll use that line. When MI4 came out they didn't mention it was from the director of The Incredibles and Ratatouille.

If anything they'll say it's from the director of Bolt, and maybe they'll throw in "makers of Frozen". You don't want to position your movie in a no-man's land where it seems too violent for kids but too juvenile for adults.

The Marvel Cinematic Universe is neither "too violent" for kids nor is Disney Animation "too juvenile" for adults. MI4 was a different ballgame that had nothing to do with Pixar. Here, this is a Disney Animation movie based on a Marvel Comics series. Both brands are directly connected to the film.

• Like 3

but this movie doesn't look anything like Frozen. Just because it is from the same company doesn't mean it will automatically gross similar numbers. Take a look at Pocahontas compared with The Lion King

180M would be a good number, so not a bad comparison. Yes many predicting 250M+, but 180M-200M would be a big success for Disney.

• Like 1

Kids will flock to this no matter what, since it is Disney. But I just don't see a Manga movie breaking out, no matter how good it is. $220M I think is the ceiling, but it might do closer to WIR numbers, which would still be awesome for Disney regardless.

It's not a manga movie! It's just a comic set in a mishmash of San Francisco and Tokyo with the lead being Asian but many other prominent characters hailing from other races and cultures.

• Like 1