Neo

Big Hero 6 | November 7, 2014 | Now available on home video

I'm really excited for BH6. Hopefully, the anime/manga otaku community will be attracted to BH6 (which is really huge fanbase). Then if BH6 work out and become a huge hit, I'll be ecstatic if we will see adaptations of mangas/animes to Western animation later on

I'm not sure,BH6 is from a comic,it's American.But usually many manga fans,particularly shonens,love superheroes movies,I'm one of these.And Disney animated movies are well-liked by manga female fans.So everything should be fine :)

they hated it... thats for sure, but that also means that they were very aware of it. Actually i think the intense hate beforehand helped a bit in building up the hype later on since most people went in ready to loathe the movie but then were pleasantly surprised... though i am not sure whether this kind of course was actually intended by the marketing team :)

Tumblr went full retard for Frozen. Another white princess? (Incurring the wrath of the modern day Hilly Holbrooks). There doesn't seem to be a single person of color in this! I've heard there is no scene where a female character saves a male character! It was pretty embarrassing all around.Don't think things will be quite as bad for BH6.
  • Like 1

Tumblr went full retard for Frozen. Another white princess? (Incurring the wrath of the modern day Hilly Holbrooks). There doesn't seem to be a single person of color in this! I've heard there is no scene where a female character saves a male character! It was pretty embarrassing all around.Don't think things will be quite as bad for BH6.

Frozen is from a Danish tale from a long time ago when Europe was entirely white,colored people in it would be stupid,thank god I don't browse on Tumblr,I let stupid people between them.At least they won't have to complain about diversity in BH6..
  • Like 2

Frozen is from a Danish tale from a long time ago when Europe was entirely white,colored people in it would be stupid,thank god I don't browse on Tumblr,I let stupid people between them.At least they won't have to complain about diversity in BH6..

yeah, there wont be as much hate with bh6... but if Hutchison really voices hiro there will be people who complain about white washing... :-)

I'm not sure,BH6 is from a comic,it's American.But usually many manga fans,particularly shonens,love superheroes movies,I'm one of these.And Disney animated movies are well-liked by manga female fans.So everything should be fine :)

I know BH6 is an American comic but it has manga feel to it and the main characters are Japanese. So if this movie become a hit, it either trigger spur of American comic adaptations on animated movies (which is pretty much common and saturated business nowadays for live action movies) or trigger trend of non-American/Caucasian main characters which hopefully they will look for source materials from Japanese mangas/animes (already started by Astroboy but its not a phenomenon though)

The criticism about Frozen's overwhelming whiteness is completely legitimate. The fact that the film is fantastic otherwise doesn't negate that. Those of us who were concerned about the film (and I was among them... and on Tumblr, to boot) had plenty of reason to be, even though we turned out surprised and many of us love it.

Frozen is from a Danish tale from a long time ago when Europe was entirely white,colored people in it would be stupid,thank god I don't browse on Tumblr,I let stupid people between them.

There has never been a time in European history when it was entirely white people. Ever. To claim otherwise is a bigger piece of fiction than a woman being able to control ice and snow.

• Like 2

Tumblr went full retard for Frozen. Another white princess? (Incurring the wrath of the modern day Hilly Holbrooks). There doesn't seem to be a single person of color in this! I've heard there is no scene where a female character saves a male character! It was pretty embarrassing all around.

It sure was full retard for people to express their valid opinions.

• Like 1

The criticism about Frozen's overwhelming whiteness is completely legitimate. The fact that the film is fantastic otherwise doesn't negate that. Those of us who were concerned about the film (and I was among them... and on Tumblr, to boot) had plenty of reason to be, even though we turned out surprised and many of us love it.There has never been a time in European history when it was entirely white people. Ever. To claim otherwise is a bigger piece of fiction than a woman being able to control ice and snow.

I can assure you Denmark was a totally white place when this story was written.Colored people did not have their place here,end of the line.Claiming otherwise would be an insult to history and to the original piece.Asking for colored people in Frozen is like asking for black people in Mulan.Such a nonsense.I'm all about diversity in American movie,but when it is legitimate,not to rewrite History according to your own ideology.An ideology can't trump the facts,whatever yours is.If your ideology says the sky is green that won't change the fact it is blue.Get real! Edited by Fullbuster
  • Like 5

The problem is that even when they TRY, the same people attack them because they're Disney. (See: The Princess and the Frog.)

If there's legit criticism, it's legit criticism. I love Disney, and have for decades. It's still hella problematic at times.

I can assure you Denmark was a totally white place when this story was written.Colored people did not have their place here,end of the line.Claiming otherwise would be an insult to history and to the original piece.Asking for colored people in Frozen is like asking for black people in Mulan.Such a nonsense.I'm all about diversity in American movie,but when it is legitimate,not to rewrite History according to your own ideology.An ideology can't trump the facts,whatever yours is.If your ideology says the sky is green that won't change the fact it is blue.Get real!

Bullshit. I'd bold the parts that are false, but it's basically your entire post.

Educate thyself:

http://medievalpoc.tumblr.com/post/76885844280/hopeless-hyperbole-the-internet-debate-over-disneys

• Like 1

Am I the only one who saw the black extras in Frozen? It has to count for something that they didn't HAVE to put them there, they could have just had all the extras be white because it's a European fairy tale setting, and yet they put black people in the crowd scenes, who were not stereotyped or tokenized in any way. They were just THERE.

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 3

The problem is that even when they TRY, the same people attack them because they're Disney. (See: The Princess and the Frog.)

Agreed. Nothing will satisfy the public.

Also, if non-Caucasian people (I'm an Asian, btw) are insulted with Frozen's "lack of diversity", then it shouldn't be a B.O hit and cultural phenomenon to S. Korea and Japan. As I noticed, seems like only White people are insulted with "lack of diversity" but the Asian people like me and others like South Americans don't even care.

• Like 7

Agreed. Nothing will satisfy the public.Also, if non-Caucasian people (I'm an Asian, btw) are insulted with Frozen's "lack of diversity", then it shouldn't be a B.O hit and cultural phenomenon to S. Korea and Japan. As I noticed, seems like only White people are insulted with "lack of diversity" but the Asian people like me and others like South Americans don't even care.

Great comment.Some White people (a small minority but an annoyingly noisy one) are completely obsessed with race,it's like an mental illness.Normal people don't even care about race in movies,they just want to have fun by watching a good movie :)
  • Like 2

Great comment.Some White people (a small minority but an annoyingly noisy one) are completely obsessed with race,it's like an mental illness.Normal people don't even care about race in movies,they just want to have fun by watching a good movie :)

Yeah.

Actually in my culture, we don't really mind if there is no representation of us on Hollywood movies, though we will be proud and ever-supportive if it does but not mandatory (I'm really proud of Robert Lopez and that's enough for us), 'cause if we want to see our nationality in a movie we can make our own anyways. Like for example, is the American people will be mad to Bollywood movie makers if they don't have representation there? We don't necessarily needed representations as long as the movie delivered, we will still love the characters whether they are black or white. Like in my country, we extremely embraced Frozen with no care for their nationality or race bec. we're not that secluded/close-minded that we can't love other people that doesn't come from our race.

So to end this debate, please enough with nitpicking of "lack of diversity", we don't really care 'cause we're not that close-minded

Edited by phantom
  • Like 7

I have read the article in the link and it has confirmed what I suspected. There probably were people of colour in Denmark at the time, yet they would have been servants, decorations, toys or objects of wonder, especially in the context of a royal palace. A good representation is given in the recent Danish film "A Royal Affair". If people of colour had to be accurately incorporated in Frozen, it would have to be in very demeaning positions. I'm not sure whether this would have been welcomed by the public as a positive step.
  • Like 1