Neo

Big Hero 6 | November 7, 2014 | Now available on home video

it's funny that people are basing their OW predictions for interstellar on nolan's past films but it's totally crazy to base Big Hero 6's OW on Frozen

I don't do that, I expect it because the buzz is here for Interstellar and it's well-deserved apparently.

I hope BH6 can compete with Frozen but it's not very likely :(

I just want to hug Baymax  :)

and Honey Lemon  :D

It shouldn't be difficult to fit her in there at the same time, even if Violet and Mirage from The Incredibles think that Honey has really let herself go. ;)

Not really interested in this movie, but the reviews might make me check it out.

It's about family and should have a lot of heart--this movie and Frozen have that much in common, anyway.

This will have a higher ow than interstellar.

Although I'm more interested in BH6 it's quite unlikely given all the buzz surrounding Interstellar.

Who knows, because online buzz does not always directly translate to buzz among the general audience (as we recently saw with HTTYD 2, as an extreme case), and Disney animated features tend to be underestimated by most measures of buzz anyway.

it's funny that people are basing their OW predictions for interstellar on nolan's past films but it's totally crazy to base Big Hero 6's OW on Frozen

Maybe it's because one camp is being more reasonable than the other. :P  In any case, I think the usual point of comparison for Interstellar is Inception, which sort of makes sense, like comparing Big Hero 6 to Wreck-It Ralph rather than Frozen. All these years later people still remember what happened with The Lion King and Disney's followup Pocahontas.

I don't do that, I expect it because the buzz is here for Interstellar and it's well-deserved apparently.

I'm glad to hear that Interstellar is more like what its teaser promised as opposed to what its boring trailers (in my opinion) made it look like, but what the general audience is aware of and thinks of it could be another matter. Not everybody is into pretentious kinds of movies like this one.

I hope BH6 can compete with Frozen but it's not very likely :(

Big Hero 6 may be able to compete with Frozen's opening weekend (The Lego Movie even bested it by a couple of million), but competing with its staying power would be almost impossible--barely anything this century does, though, so this is nothing to be disappointed about.

Edited by Melvin Frohike
  • Like 2

Pocahontas made 141M which was more than The Little Mermaid and everything Disney made apart from Tarzan (well Lilo and Stich made 4M more but less overseas) until Tangled. And people still talk like it was a disappointment. I know many are talking from artistic perspective (I love that film so I do not agree) but still. But you can see there what too high expectations can do for a film.

I do not think the same can happen for Big Hero 6. Nobody was expecting Pocahontas to make as much as Lion King but since it made less than Beauty and the Beast and Aladdin and was not as loved it hurt the films reputation and many say it ended the renaissance (I think it ended with Tarzan). With Big Hero 6 people should bel be satisfied if it makes about as much as Tangled and Wreck-It Ralph. Moana might be compared to Frozen more since it is the followup princess musical. If Big Hero 6 gets poor reviews that could be bad for the revival, but I do not see it happening. 

But if Big Hero 6 manages to beat Interstellar and have box office that is closer to Frozen than Tangled I think it will get great headlines. This is not completely impossible in my opinion, people seem to love superheroes and it will be a while for the other kid centric film. Not that it can beat Frozen even as a remote possibility.

In a way however I do not want Big Hero 6 to do too well, the Disney executives would just decide that Frozen's success was due to only the superhero elements and it being a well-received film, not because of the female protagonist and musical elements. It was so frustrating for so long to watch Disney try to court the boy market. Maybe now they have Marvel, Star Wars and Pixar they could just let WDAS do more girl centric films and not meddle.

• Like 1

But if Big Hero 6 manages to beat Interstellar and have box office that is closer to Frozen than Tangled I think it will get great headlines.

For example a $65 million OW to go along with Tangled's multiplier would result in a total gross of about $268 million (domestic)--closer to Tangled than Frozen, but still rather impressive. Getting to $300 million to split the difference would require a $72.9 million OW with the same multiplier or a $65 million OW with a very impressive 4.62 multiplier--these scenarios would be difficult and seem unlikely, but still, reaching $300 million is hardly impossible.

It was so frustrating for so long to watch Disney try to court the boy market. Maybe now they have Marvel, Star Wars and Pixar they could just let WDAS do more girl centric films and not meddle.

WDAS has always made ostensibly boy-centric movies because they wanted to make those movies, not because of executive meddling. They don't specialize in supposedly girl-centric movies, and they wouldn't want to. I don't even like these terms, by the way, because I don't view Disney animated features in this way at all.

• Like 2

I agree, WDAS does what it wants to do, they seem to have a lot of creative liberty, sometimes they want to do movies for boys and sometimes for girls.

And like Melvin I don't like these terms at all...I'm a guy and I loved Tangled, Weck-It Ralph and Frozen, and I already love Big Hero 6...It's not about the targeted audience but about quality and the ability to make us dream, WDAS is really good at that.

• Like 1

Pocahontas made 141M which was more than The Little Mermaid and everything Disney made apart from Tarzan (well Lilo and Stich made 4M more but less overseas) until Tangled. And people still talk like it was a disappointment. I know many are talking from artistic perspective (I love that film so I do not agree) but still. But you can see there what too high expectations can do for a film.

Didn't Mulan make more than Pocahontas too? I still think Mulan and Tarzan would have made much more than they did if they had come after the Renaissance Big Four instead of Pocahontas/Hunchback/Hercules.

Also, it is kind of unfair to compare Mermaid to Pocahontas BO as poor Ariel had to do all the initial heavylifting by herself in bringing back all the goodwill for Disney Animation squandered over the years after Walt's death. The goodwill recapturing was necessary to usher in the Renaissance. The Little Mermaid didn't have the luxury to follow BatB/Aladdin/TLK like Pocahontas, it had to follow Oliver & Co.

Edited by Spidey Freak
  • Like 1

Well coming off TLK's $300m, it does look pretty disappointing.

• Like 1

Frozen

1.Opened Thanksgiving

2.Offered family appeal that had been lacking

3.Hit four quadrants, much bigger audience range than BH6

4.It wasn't opening the same weekend as another major movie (initial hunger games demand had died off)

Interstellar has ever reason to at least hit Inception's OW.

• Like 1

I agree, WDAS does what it wants to do, they seem to have a lot of creative liberty, sometimes they want to do movies for boys and sometimes for girls.

And like Melvin I don't like these terms at all...

For the sake of completeness, executives (including John Lasseter who is an executive now no matter what he says) have always "meddled" in that only they can give the green light to projects, but WDAS has always been allowed to create a variety of movies anyway because that's what they've always been able to do, and with great success with any type during favorable eras.

As for the terms, you and I both use them in accordance with their commonly understood meanings, but I'm sure that we know and that everybody else ought to know that they normally don't mean that much with regard to WDAS' animated features. It's usually based on the gender of the lead characters and/or the basic genre, but the movies themselves are and always have been designed to appeal to all four quadrants regardless.

For example Frozen, which many automatically think of as girl-oriented or even girlish, probably because its two lead characters are both princesses (or a queen in Elsa's case, but it's the same idea), doesn't have much of anything that is actually girlish. I've been challenging people in this and other forums to explain exactly why this movie is supposedly so girlish, but in reality it is very difficult to find any elements that are. Well, Anna's room (when she's older) is rather pink, but that is insignificant as well as at odds with both her and Elsa, who dress in blues, greens, and black (plus purple capes at times, but that just makes them look like royalty, which they are). There is some romance, but very little and we all know by now what happened with the one that got the most time. I honestly don't know what else. Even supposedly boy-oriented Wreck-It Ralph has far more girlish elements (spending most of its time in Sugar Rush), which are balanced by boyish elements, but it is not nearly as gender-neutral as Frozen, aside from the genders of the lead characters.

I'm a guy and I loved Tangled, Weck-It Ralph and Frozen, and I already love Big Hero 6...It's not about the targeted audience but about quality and the ability to make us dream, WDAS is really good at that.

Well said, although the targeted audience is everybody (I know what you mean, though, in using the common definition, as I have done many times). Insofar as the gender of lead characters has significance--and it is good to use both over time--I think it is fortunate that WDAS had such early success with Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. They've followed up with both male and female leads over the subsequent decades, but thanks to Walt and the audience this set the early precedent for WDAS to embrace more diversity in the stories that they tell (since they were and still largely are internally a boys' club, although this has been diminishing over time). The bottom line: they've had success with all types of stories, and there is no reason to expect them to focus more on one type or another, aside from what generally--and only very basically--defines a Disney animated feature.

Edited by Melvin Frohike
  • Like 2

Didn't Mulan make more than Pocahontas too?

No, Mulan made less, but it was still a welcome upward tick at the box office from the two WDAS animated features that came in between. Tarzan was a pretty big hit, though, outperforming Pixar's Toy Story and A Bug's Life worldwide and coming fairly close to Toy Story 2's worldwide gross (actually outperforming the latter overseas). It would be WDAS' last big hit until Tangled 11 years later. :o

I still think Mulan and Tarzan would have made much more than they did if they had come after the Renaissance Big Four instead of Pocahontas/Hunchback/Hercules.

Very likely, although Tarzan was a big hit regardless.

Also, it is kind of unfair to compare Mermaid to Pocahontas BO as poor Ariel had to do all the initial heavylifting by herself in bringing back all the goodwill for Disney Animation squandered over the years after Walt's death. The goodwill recapturing was necessary to usher in the Renaissance. The Little Mermaid didn't have the luxury to follow BatB/Aladdin/TLK like Pocahontas, it had to follow Oliver & Co.

That's a good point, although in the bigger picture Western feature animation as a whole had been in the doldrums for a while, but WDAS and a few other studios (Bluth, Amblimation, et al.) had been building toward reviving the medium for some time, starting with Disney's program at CalArts in the 1970s (the very first class included John Lasseter, Chris Buck, John Musker, Brad Bird, Tim Burton, Michael Giaimo, et al.). There were a few minor hits for the time, including Oliver & Company, leading up to the Disney Renaissance, but one could argue that an Animation Renaissance (running continuously to the present) had also started with Who Framed Roger Rabbit (which involved WDAS, Amblimation, Warner Brothers, and a number of other studios) as a break-out hit. Granted, this was part live action, but it sure brought the attention of the public to animation in feature-length movies.

The question at the time was who could take this and run with it, and the answer was, as we know from history, WDAS. Another question is why, in retrospect, didn't The Little Mermaid gross more than it did, considering the much greater box office gross of Who Framed Roger Rabbit from the previous year. What you said, Spidey Freak, was one factor, but I think that another was that there was a pervasive stigma at the time--more than ever before--that animation was only for children. Decades before, adults used to choose between movie theaters based on whether or which short cartoons they were showing before the features--this had been Disney's and WDAS' sole business for a good number of years before they practically invented the animated feature (there had been earlier feature-length cartoons, but Disney's were perhaps the first that were considered "real" movies that can play alongside other movies). But during the 1970s and 1980s, cartoons--even the ones intended for adults back in the day--were relegated to Saturday-morning kiddie fare, which famously included the Merry Melodies/Looney Tunes and Tom & Jerry theatrical shorts.

The Little Mermaid, especially being the first of WDAS' new era, wasn't able to overcome this stigma completely, as it had no live action to draw in adults, but after The Rescuers Down Under flopped for whatever reasons (pretty darn good movie, so it wasn't that), Beauty and the Beast finally managed to break through this barrier (with The Little Mermaid helping it get this far, I'm sure). It did so gradually, too, opening rather modestly but holding on strongly for a long time, producing and gathering converts along the way, even resulting in a Best Picture nomination from AMPAS. The stigma that animation (whether hand-drawn or CGI) is for children still remains to this day, of course, but it is nowhere near as bad as it was during the 1980s.

Edited by Melvin Frohike
  • Like 1

Well coming off TLK's $300m, it does look pretty disappointing.

And this is why many people today, especially Disney fans, are keeping their expectations and any potential disappointment in check. What happened nearly 20 years ago was a dose of reality, and I guess on some rare occasions like this one human beings are capable of learning from the past. ;)

Frozen

1.Opened Thanksgiving

That's good for the upcoming Christmas and New Year holidays, but as for the OW itself, Thanksgiving has never been all that huge. In fact, I believe that Frozen currently holds the record for an opener at just $67.4 million (not counting Thanksgiving itself and the day before).

2.Offered family appeal that had been lacking

3.Hit four quadrants, much bigger audience range than BH6

Big Hero 6 seems to be about family, too, and the female quadrants seem to like Baymax a lot, along with Honey Lemon (they'll get to like Hiro and the others, too, but for now I think these two characters have their attention). In addition, it's about superheroes, which is still a popular genre these days.

In contrast, most of Frozen's silly, intentionally misleading advertising focused on the sidekicks, comedy, and whether it would be Kristoff, Hans, or "no man" who would save the day. Unless one had inside knowledge or saw the awesome online-only "For the First Time In Forever" trailer (commonly known as the Elsa trailer), then one would likely have no idea that the movie was really an intimate epic about true love and family.

4.It wasn't opening the same weekend as another major movie (initial hunger games demand had died off)

Maybe some of the demand had been burned off, but it still grossed more than Frozen, which opened at #2, and at $74.2 million it would probably beat both Big Hero 6's and Interstellar's OW grosses, unless one or both surpass their tracking quite significantly. I hardly think that this could simply be brushed aside.

• Like 1