Neo

Big Hero 6 | November 7, 2014 | Now available on home video

It was never going to happen. Disney pissed Marvel off too much with how they handled the whole BH6 situation.

Nah.  The thing is... Disney OWNS Marvel.  They can do whatever they want.  If they wanted to slap Marvel's name on it, they could do it and the people at Marvel wouldn't be able to stop them.

It was their decision to not play up the Marvel connection.

I really think that Disney is underestimating its own animated movies lately.  They haven't gotten as much promotion/hype as Pixar or Marvel.

• Like 1

Nah.  The thing is... Disney OWNS Marvel.  They can do whatever they want.  If they wanted to slap Marvel's name on it, they could do it and the people at Marvel wouldn't be able to stop them.

I really think that Disney is underestimating its own animated movies lately.  They haven't gotten as much promotion/hype as Pixar or Marvel.

What else is there to hype, really? They've name-dropped Frozen and WIR, they've mentioned it's based on a Marvel comic. 

As has been mentioned before, this thread is already over 100 pages, which is far more than what Frozen had before release. It's only because of the other movie opening next week that it seems so lacking. 

• Like 2

I just wish the prerelease hype was bigger right now for BH6. I have no interest in seeing Interstellar.

It depends on where you're looking. The pre-release hype for Wreck-It Ralph in some circles was probably bigger than that of Tangled and Frozen, but both of these movies outgrossed it at the box office anyway (especially overseas, but domestically, too). For what it's worth, Big Hero 6 has been getting a lot more pre-release hype on this forum than Frozen did last year in terms of post count (and I tend to pile up my responses, so my contribution to the number of posts is limited...word count, on the other hand... ;)).

At this point, I'm expecting BH6 will make Wreck It Ralph numbers.

No way--Big Hero 6 has significantly greater immediate four-quadrant appeal than Wreck-It Ralph could ever have hoped for. The latter appealed most directly to adult males with its classic video game nostalgia, while Baymax alone has captured the other three quadrants for the former, in addition to adult males who are interested in seeing Disney's take on the superhero genre, as well as all of the cool tech.

But It feels like WiR had more hype, with people very curious about how the video game characters would be used, compared to BH6.

I think we've talked with different people about this. ;)

It's disneys fault for not pushing the Marvel connection.

For all we know, they might have tried, but I'm sure that both WDAS and Marvel would have none of this. Marvel will be credited appropriately with an "Inspired by" credit at the end of the movie, in addition to some amount of money having changed hands.

It was never going to happen. Disney pissed Marvel off too much with how they handled the whole BH6 situation.

Just to be clear, the spat was between Disney and Marvel, while WDAS and Marvel get along just fine. It's not really about this, though--it's about the fact that Big Hero 6 the movie is a Disney animated feature like any other Disney animated feature. It's only incidentally inspired by an obscure Marvel comic (the Marvel representatives that Don Hall and John Lasseter initially talked to about it didn't even recognize the name themselves--true story :lol:), but that doesn't make it a Marvel movie or even a non-Marvel Studios Marvel movie (like Sony or Fox would produce and release). It does not reflect Marvel's sensibilities and what they would consider a valid, official representation of their characters--these are WDAS characters in a WDAS animated feature, truly and thoroughly.

Accordingly Marvel neither desires any major credit for the movie (they like the movie just fine but it doesn't fit their image) nor do they wish to unfairly take credit away from WDAS, and obviously WDAS wouldn't want to give Marvel undue credit for a movie that WDAS really created. Why would one prominent Disney-owned studio wish to step on the toes of or get stepped on by another? That would demonstrate a severe lack of respect that I know isn't true in this case. The only reason for touting the Marvel connection and slapping a Marvel logo prominently in the movie's intro would be the parent corporation's desire to exaggerate this synergy for marketing purposes, but if they ever even entertained such a notion, they've backed down for what should be obvious reasons (to not piss off their current most successful studios, especially the one that they merely purchased). In any case, Disney got what they wanted for free from the media, who have been playing up and exaggerating the Marvel connection, quite frequently to the point of outright calling Big Hero 6 a "Marvel movie" (laughable, but they'll print whatever they think people want to read--either that or they really believe this).

Edited by Melvin Frohike
  • Like 3

I hate to say this, but WiR had a more immediate pull because the trailers showed showed characters from actual popular video games (which had its own problem when people realised that their appearances only amounted to cameos).  But don't let that discourage you!  I think this has the potential to be leggier than WiR.  It just needs good word of mouth and at least it shouldn't get that 'the big thing we went to see turned out to not be a factor' response from viewers.

Agree.This movie will be very leggy, and people will love Baymax, I feel it!

What else is there to hype, really? They've name-dropped Frozen and WIR, they've mentioned it's based on a Marvel comic. 

As has been mentioned before, this thread is already over 100 pages, which is far more than what Frozen had before release. It's only because of the other movie opening next week that it seems so lacking. 

Yep, people would talk more about it without Interstellar being released the same week.

However I think people will talk very much about it after its release, it just needs time.

And don't complain, I must wait until February to have it here :unsure::wacko:-_-

• Like 1

Yep, people would talk more about it without Interstellar being released the same week.

However I think people will talk very much about it after its release, it just needs time.

And don't complain, I must wait until February to have it here :unsure::wacko:-_-

Anyone who is worried about Interstellar and BH6 opening the same weekend really shouldn't be.  Their target audiences (if not their entire potential audiences) are completely different.  No parent in their right mind would take their kid to see Interstellar.  That's a great way to bore your child and torture the rest of the audience for three hours.  And even those who elect to ditch the kiddies and go see Interstellar instead of BH6 are liable to go see BH6 eventually anyway.

If anything, I think BH6 has a wider possible audience range than Intersteller for that very reason.  Heck, it may even be able to pull the teen and young adult male crowd since it's a superhero movie about a robot, which would be a nice trick.  OTOH, there is no way Intersteller is going to be pulling in the kiddy crowd.  

Different audience.  It should do fine.

• Like 4

It's not as if this board is indicative of the GA. Thread page counts hardly has a strong correlation to BO especially when there are strong fanbases.

I'm not worried about BH6 it's gonna do fine regardless of page counts. WDAS is on a roll and ads are starting to pop up everywhere.

• Like 3

I hate to say this, but WiR had a more immediate pull because the trailers showed showed characters from actual popular video games (which had its own problem when people realised that their appearances only amounted to cameos).

How successful have video game movies been in comparison to superhero movies? Now what about one from red-hot WDAS following on the heels of icy-cool Frozen?

As for the disappointment that some expressed toward Wreck-It Ralph's light usage of famous video game characters, I think that this was more than compensated for by the delightful surprise that it is actually a GOOD video game movie, for once--a really good one.

It's not that simple. Piss off the people at Marvel too much and they might decide to do their thing for somebody else, leaving both Marvel and Disney. More likely they'd try to negotiate a split from Disney, and there may be clauses in their merger agreement that give them much power in this and other respects.

For example, if Disney wanted to force Pixar to combine with WDAS, they couldn't because when they acquired Pixar they agreed to all of Pixar's terms, including a clause that guarantees that Pixar would retain their own identity and operate as a separate studio. If Disney attempted to violate this clause, then Pixar could sue Disney and force them to spin Pixar off as an independent company (the judge would agree, no question). This would never happen because Disney is not that stupid (these days). By the way, about the only concession that Pixar made was that their movies would officially be branded "Disney•Pixar" instead of just "Pixar" and I wonder if they've ever regretted that (in contrast Marvel gets their own branding).

It was their decision to maintain healthy, positive relationships with two of their important studios, and keep everybody happy and focused on doing a good job (slipped up a little bit with the comics deal, but everybody is over it now).

They've improved in this regard with Big Hero 6, but I think that it's a problem with Disney's marketing division. Iger needs to get on those guys--sometimes he can be a little too hands-off.

I wonder if that will come back to bite them in the ass.

I doubt it because so many are aware of the connection anyway, and playing it up would have the downside of setting up false expectations that many may not react positively to.

They've done all they can, 90+% of which was name-dropping that cultural phenomenon Frozen.

Yes, and it's not as though that other movie is going to be the biggest of all time or anywhere close, despite the crazy attention it's getting in this forum and some other places. I'd actually be surprised if Big Hero 6 doesn't beat it on opening weekend.

• Like 2