Neo

Big Hero 6 | November 7, 2014 | Now available on home video

There's more reviews online that I'm pretty sure aren't on RT yet...

Be warned that several of these reviews may have spoilers unless noted otherwise.

Animation Fascination gives 5 stars: 
"Big Hero 6 is truly a marvel in and of itself and a worthy addition to revered canon of Disney animated features."

Tor.com doesn't have a rating but the review skews very positively:
"Big Hero 6 was already set to combine our favorite sci-fi buzz words—superheroes, robots, alternate realities—and deliver something fun for the whole family. But the movie supersedes those expectations to ruminate on invention, family, and how grief transforms us all... for better or for worse."

Comicbook.com also has no rating but a largely positive review:
"It is very easy to equate Disney animated features with princesses, fairy tales, and musicals. But there is much more to Disney than that, which is well demonstrated in the newest full-length cartoon from the studio, Big Hero 6."

Moviehero.com posts a brief (spoiler-free) carside review.  The reviewer gives it a 7 out of 10 and admits to 'superhero fatigue', saying that for other people it would probably be a 9/10.

awardscircuit.com gives it 3 stars (out of 4, as far as I can tell based on other ratings).  The basic gist of their review seems to be that it's good but not creative enough.
"Visually stellar, superbly acted, and featuring a character guaranteed to transform into a Disney icon overnight, Big Hero 6 is a flashy, crowd-pleasing superhero flick with the right amount of feeling yet not enough creative impact."

Edit: 

Found another one!

whatchareading.com has a review.  Spoilers ahead on this site so beware!  The overall review seems very positive though and draws comparisons to The Incredibles (in the title, even) and Iron Giant.
"If this is the first result of Disney delving into Marvel’s deep, deep, character catalog, then this movie alone was worth the price Disney paid for Marvel "

And more:

Australian website www.rocketchainsaw.com gives it 3 1/2 stars out of 5.
"I would heartily recommend Big Hero 6 on the strength of its visual design alone, but the core relationship between Baymax and Hiro, and the comedy and emotion that comes from that, makes the film really enjoyable to sit through. "

Twitchfilm.com has no number rating but largely praises the film.  It does imply that it will resonate stronger with a younger audience (or those who enjoyed WiR)
"Big Hero 6 is an action-packed and enjoyable film that may struggle to capture the hearts of older generations, but its mix of anime, gaming and comic book culture built around themes of friendship and loss will certainly find an audience amongst tech-savvy kids. "

reel-gospel.com gives the film 4 1/2 stars (Out of 5, I think)
Big Hero 6 is a great film that will appeal to a huge range of people. It delighted my eyes, it made me laugh, and it stirred my soul just a little bit! 
Edited by Sal
  • Like 3

Also, it's not a review, but the guy over at the noobist has a post speculating on how well BH6 is going to do and is apparently sick of the fact that it's getting so many positive reviews.

"I usually don’t care what critics say, I see whatever movie I feel like, but I have to say, I’m kind of becoming annoyed with the overwhelming praise of this movie. If anyone out there thinks the same way, they may be more inclined to skip it as well."

http://noobist.com/feature/will-big-hero-6-live-hype/

This is exactly the attitude I'm afraid of from folks.  I'd rather have a couple of bad reviews than people avoiding it because of the hype.

• Like 2

This one just went online!

Craveonline gives it a 9.0 (out of 10) rating:

"Big Hero 6 is a film that has everything: laughs, tears, cheers and gasps. And for all its weird specific details, like setting itself in the fictional city of “San Fransokyo,” it’s the film’s ability to be universal that (ironically) makes it truly exceptional in a cinematic landscape increasingly full of films that, superficially, look and sound a lot like it."

http://www.craveonline.com/film/reviews/782929-big-hero-6-review-team

Gone Elsewhere gives it a B+ rating
While is has its story faults here & there, this should be another winner for Walt Disney Animation Studios (though not on the success-level of Frozen but, then again, what is?).

http://goneelsewhere.wordpress.com/2014/11/02/review-big-hero-6/

The ADFF (Gulf News) review seems more negative than most.  It's definitely a mixed review and with no listed score I'm not sure where it will fall on RT (or if they're on RT at all)

"The animation succeeds and indeed excels in creating an aesthetically fascinating world. But even though it touches, at times, on superhero greatness, it ultimately falls short of the mark by condensing too much material into too little time, failing to let the story, or its characters, breathe."

https://en-maktoob.news.yahoo.com/adff-review-big-hero-6-064307229.html

The Gulf News review may be the first negative on RT.

Other sites are reporting that the Tokyo Film Festival presentation of BH6 is getting good reviews but I haven't managed to find any of them aside from the one I linked before.

Final edit of the night: 

Turn The Right Corner apparently posted a review two weeks ago but it's not counted on RT.  They gave it a B+

Big Hero 6 doesn’t reach to any places we haven’t been to before, but it hits every note perfectly, making it stand out as one of the better superhero origin movies to come out. 

http://turntherightcorner.com/2014/10/20/movie-review-big-hero-6-walt-disney-animation/

Edited by Sal
  • Like 4

Also, it's not a review, but the guy over at the noobist has a post speculating on how well BH6 is going to do and is apparently sick of the fact that it's getting so many positive reviews.

"I usually don’t care what critics say, I see whatever movie I feel like, but I have to say, I’m kind of becoming annoyed with the overwhelming praise of this movie. If anyone out there thinks the same way, they may be more inclined to skip it as well."

http://noobist.com/feature/will-big-hero-6-live-hype/

This is exactly the attitude I'm afraid of from folks.  I'd rather have a couple of bad reviews than people avoiding it because of the hype.

lol People avoiding film because of hype. Nothing to worry about. Hype is always a good thing as it increases awareness. Sure someone may skip out, but every one of those people, 100 more are gonna see it who weren't planning on it.

And here's an Italian website collecting reviews.  It seems a favourable mix  (Note: this is in Italian, though you can translate if you're using Chrome)

http://blog.screenweek.it/2014/10/big-hero-6-e-assolutamente-incredibile-parola-della-critica-video-389441.php

Here's their actual review from the site which is also positive:

http://blog.screenweek.it/2014/10/big-hero-6-la-nostra-recensione-in-anteprima-dal-festival-di-tokyo-388823.php

Cinemablend's "This Rotten Week" is predicting that BH6 will end up at 95% on RT:
http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Rotten-Week-Predicting-Insterstellar-Big-Hero-6-Reviews-68004-p2.html

Edited by Sal
  • Like 1

Probably next year.

Well that's good, at least.  I know China is limiting on how many foreign films they'll have per year so it may just be that they've already reached their max for 2014.

I'm reading a machine translation, but in any case the reviewer seems to notice that the story is effectively (whether intentional or not) geared toward Japanese audiences (beyond the physical). Is he saying that Pixar produced the animation, though? That couldn't be farther from the truth (but lots of people believe it anyway :rolleyes:).

I expect it to beat Frozen there.

It should, I think (much more their kind of movie), which is why I'll anxiously be awaiting the announcement of a release date in China. That said, I think they only pay studios 25%, so the gross in China, whatever it ends up being, will look a lot better than it really is in terms of revenue for the studio.

I'm really glad of those reviews, although there was one kinda negative. I feel like this will end up within 85-89% in RT. And probably Dragon 2 being the frontrunner in the Oscars.

Oh well, just give this movie that box office gold!!

LEGO is the front runner. I don't think Dragon stands a chance.

LEGO is the front runner. I don't think Dragon stands a chance.

The general consensus seems to be that Lego is likely, Dragon is possible and most of the others don't seem to be regarded as much competition... though I think BH6 may surprise.