Neo

Big Hero 6 | November 7, 2014 | Now available on home video

They're focusing too much on Baymax like what they did to Olaf to redirect the story and have this big reveal feel. 

The story is very vague still.

I have a theory that there is something going on Hiro's brother. He might be very important to the story like how they hide Elsa before

Edited by phantom
  • Like 2

Hey, Despicable Me 2 only gave the vaguest hints of its story in the trailers. In fact, most animated films do the same thing regardless of how they eventually perform.Wreck-It Ralph looked a lot zanier in the trailers. It's harder to sell stuff like pathos and drama and subtle character moments to kids. Even the Disney Renaissance trailers used broad strokes.

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 1

Hey, Despicable Me 2 only gave the vaguest hints of its story in the trailers. In fact, most animated films do the same thing regardless of how they eventually perform.Wreck-It Ralph looked a lot zanier in the trailers. It's harder to sell stuff like pathos and drama and subtle character moments to kids. Even the Disney Renaissance trailers used broad strokes.

I think that's one of the mistake HTTYD2 did, they reveal a big spoiler in the trailer.

I'm sold with the trailer I saw for BH6 and I'll definitely watch this. But I'm more intrigued with the members of the team and how they will work together rather than the villain (I didn't even look at it). Hopefully, they show the team together lining up like Avengers

Edited by phantom
  • Like 1

I quite like how WDAS now has a consistent look for their films, the character models for BH6 isn't too unlike Frozen, Tangled and Wreck it Ralph so it stands out from DWA and others. It looks good so far although I think we'll probably need another full trailer. I wonder if Disney will release the final one with Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Bad Day.

Some would argue that it stifles them. You don't see the differences than say in Hercules, Hunchback, Mulan and Tarzan.

Not that I want it too stylized, but it doesn't hurt to expand.

I suppose most of the animated houses have their own form of human animation that is more distinctive. However, I felt that the police officer in BH6 was a character out of the Incredibles.

• Like 1

Okay thanks, I thought Toy Story 3 was a disapointment :ph34r:

You're not alone.

:ph34r:

The trailer looks cool, Baymax is funny and lovable. I think they should have shown more from the rest of the team

As for Olaf vs Baymax... Baymax has potential to be more than comic relef. Olaf, going from the trailer, not the movie itself, seemed to be nothing but comic relief.

Edited by redgarlic68
  • Like 2

I keeping hearing on other forums from fans how BH6 and Pocahontas are in similar positions, both following Disney mega hits Frozen and The Lion King.

They are worrying that BH6 might drop big like Pocahontas. But BH6 already has the much better chance at success than Pocahontas since doesn't look like it was made to be complete Oscar bait. Also Pocahontas was a goddamn Mary Sue! :ph34r:

Edited by Mojoguy
  • Like 1

The difference is that BH6 is not EXPECTED to gross as much as Frozen - not even, I assume, by Disney themselves. It's a totally different kind of movie, it's not going to have tons of repeat viewings and obsessed fans, of COURSE it's going to drop from Frozen. Doesn't mean it won't be a success in its own right.On the other hand, Pocahontas was expected to be huge, especially after TLK - it was another Broadway musical type spectacular. In fact, before TLK exploded, some people at Disney thought POCAHONTAS was going to be the big hit/prestige picture. (From what I understand, while he was still at Disney/while the film was still in production, Jeffrey Katzenberg was honestly convinced it was going to win Best Picture, I am totally fucking serious.)Pocahontas was still a hit, it just felt smaller after TLK. But going in, Pocahontas seemed like it COULD be as big as TLK. This was when every Disney film was increasing from the last, and some thought the gravy train could keep rolling forever.BH6, however, has no chance of being as huge as Frozen, and nobody thinks it does.

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 3

In fact, before TLK exploded, some people at Disney thought POCAHONTAS was going to be the big hit/prestige picture.

Not exactly some people. TLK was a smaller, almost on the side project in comparison to Pocahontas, which was seen as the main one for Disney. It was quite a surprise when it broke out, AFAIK.

• Like 1

The difference is that BH6 is not EXPECTED to gross as much as Frozen - not even, I assume, by Disney themselves. It's a totally different kind of movie, it's not as mass-appeal, of COURSE it's going to drop from Frozen. Doesn't mean it won't be a success in its own right.On the other hand, Pocahontas was expected to be huge, especially after TLK - it was another Broadway musical type spectacular. In fact, before TLK exploded, some people at Disney thought POCAHONTAS was going to be the big hit/prestige picture. (From what I understand, while he was still at Disney/while the film was still in production, Jeffrey Katzenberg was honestly convinced it was going to win Best Picture, I am totally fucking serious.)Pocahontas was still a hit, it just felt smaller after TLK. But going in, Pocahontas seemed like it COULD be as big as TLK. This was when every Disney film was increasing from the last, and some thought the gravy train could keep rolling forever.BH6, however, has no chance of being as huge as Frozen, and nobody thinks it does.

I was kind of surprised Ralph didn't do better than Tangled, since it seemed so much more boy friendly. I'm always curious how the success or a failure of a Disney movie impacts the following Disney movie. Looks like many of The Lion King fans just didn't show up for Pocahontas.

I was kind of surprised Ralph didn't do better than Tangled, since it seemed so much more boy friendly.

That's the thing. The boy-friendly ones are usually NOT the more successful ones. Aladdin and The Lion King increased, but they appealed to everyone, boys and girls. But the most successful Disney animated films tend to be the ones that appeal to females. That's why Frozen broke out.

I'm always curious how the success or a failure of a Disney movie impacts the following Disney movie. Looks like many of The Lion King fans just didn't show up for Pocahontas.

It wasn't a "fan" thing, at least I don't think. The film obviously had less appeal to most audiences. It didn't hit the sweet spot that the previous three did, and that Toy Story would later that year.
  • Like 1

I think BH6 might have a chance to be huge if it won't put too much focus on the common "Hero save the world" cliche (which what happen to Mr. Peabody and Sherman and Rise of the guardians).

Instead put the focus on friendship of Hiro and Baymax like how it was done in HTTYD1 and they should utilise the team properly.

• Like 1

That's the thing. The boy-friendly ones are usually NOT the more successful ones. Aladdin and The Lion King increased, but they appealed to everyone, boys and girls. But the most successful Disney animated films tend to be the ones that appeal to females. That's why Frozen broke out.

I think some of it had to do with how "small" WIR feels in comparison to Frozen. Despite the number of video game settings the scope doesn't feel that big and the central drama isn't as relatable as that in Frozen.

• Like 1

The difference is that BH6 is not EXPECTED to gross as much as Frozen - not even, I assume, by Disney themselves. It's a totally different kind of movie, it's not going to have tons of repeat viewings and obsessed fans, of COURSE it's going to drop from Frozen. Doesn't mean it won't be a success in its own right.On the other hand, Pocahontas was expected to be huge, especially after TLK - it was another Broadway musical type spectacular. In fact, before TLK exploded, some people at Disney thought POCAHONTAS was going to be the big hit/prestige picture. (From what I understand, while he was still at Disney/while the film was still in production, Jeffrey Katzenberg was honestly convinced it was going to win Best Picture, I am totally fucking serious.)Pocahontas was still a hit, it just felt smaller after TLK. But going in, Pocahontas seemed like it COULD be as big as TLK. This was when every Disney film was increasing from the last, and some thought the gravy train could keep rolling forever.BH6, however, has no chance of being as huge as Frozen, and nobody thinks it does.

Katzenberg was always delusional then.

Dragon 2 1B to Pocahontas Oscar winner...same old, same old.

But, yeah, when girls are attracted to your movie, you succeed at a greater level in animation.

• Like 1

I think BH6 might have a chance to be huge if it won't put too much focus on the common "Hero save the world" cliche (which what happen to Mr. Peabody and Sherman and Rise of the guardians).

Instead put the focus on friendship of Hiro and Baymax like how it was done in HTTYD1 and they should utilise the team properly.

haha we say this like they are still able to change it but it's already done.

You make a good point about Peabody. That should have focused on their relationship than the world, Guardians was great how it was though.

• Like 1

It's worse - Pocahontas turned out the way it did BECAUSE Katz wanted it to be their next Oscar winner. Apparently, it was going to be a more lighthearted movie originally - for example, look up the turkey that was going to be voiced by John Candy.

I would have loved to see him in the film.

• Like 1