Beasts of the Southern Wild

25 members have voted

1. 1. Grade Beasts of the Southern Wild

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

I loved this movie. Its an absolute joy to watch.

Beasts is something very different, that's for sure. There isn't really any movie I could compare it to, maybe Where the Wild Things Are has a similar atmosphere, but that thing was just boring and Spike Jonze got lost in his own ass making it.

Quadfvergebee Wallis is terrific in front on the camera, she has to be the best child actor in the longest time. Henry Dwight as the dad was even better imo. His character reminded me in a way of Brad Pitt's character in The Tree of Life. They're both very conflicted men, who obviously care for the children but have been somehow completely disillusioned of the world.

The cinematography is crisp and fresh, and the music is teriffic.

One of the best films of 2012

5/5

If you want a couple of films that it reminded me of: Badlands and (particularly) Days of Heaven. Both are masterpieces... as Beasts is, IMO.

Um it's kind of hard for me to explain. Some of it just feels off to me. I loved the first 30 minutes (especially the intro through the gorgeous shot of her running with the fireworks). I watched that part twice last night. It kind of stalls when the dad gets sick and she finds her mom. Then I love it again when she confronts the beasts and through the end.

What a great film. Always love movies that take you to another world and environment.......the kind of films that remind you why you love the art of cinema.

I loved the sense of community of the individuals living in the Bathtub. There was a sense of camaraderie, loyalty, and devotion that prevailed throughout the film. I understand why some would have problems with the real word infusions, but for me this formed the crux of the movie.

The people of the Bathtub lived life a different way. They aren't meant for "civilized" society, and there's nothing wrong with that. I think the real world infusions served as a way to show just how their way of life contrasts with normal things in society. There's a reason they didn't want to leave prior to the storm hitting, and a reason they didn't want to have people come into their world.

The beasts to me were a metaphor of the Bathtub citizens. Raw and primal, and in stark contrast to civilized society. Very powerful when Hushpuppy accepts who she is, and confronts the beasts.

Judging from the reviews on IMDB, those sayings things like it glorifies "alcoholism, debauchery, etc." may as well not even have seen the film. You need to look past what things may appear at face level, and delve a little deeper to appreciate what's happening here. Yes, it's a different way of life.........but with an open-mind, it still shows the human condition, and what it means to be human.

I loved it. Bear in mind I still have yet to see the likes of Cloud Atlas, Perks, Amour, Holy Motors, etc..........but my favorite film of the year thus far.

A-

Edited by mattmav45
  • Like 1