diskojustice

South Korea Box Office

13 minutes ago, yjs said:

This week's three-way race is very interesting to follow! 

CGV, the biggest cinema chain which takes about half of the entire screens nationwide, provides daily realtime ticket sales data,

and according to that the Handmaiden's #1 (42,972), Warcraft is close #2 (42,482), and TJB comes #3 (36,997).

yet the Kobis presales data, which covers the all cinema chains, is the exact opposite and have TJB at #1 (68,203), Warcraft #2 (43,668), and the Handmaiden #3 (42,873). 

since presales are literally presales, it is a good indicator that TJB will do better on the weekend. But then again #1 is not guaranteed for TJB for the weekend since Korean films usually perform stronger at regualr ticket sales excluding the presales.

Interesting stuff

Edited by Rentaro1989
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, yjs said:

This week's three-way race is very interesting to follow! 

CGV, the biggest cinema chain which takes about half of the entire screens nationwide, provides daily realtime ticket sales data,

and according to that the Handmaiden's #1 (42,972), Warcraft is close #2 (42,482), and TJB comes #3 (36,997).

yet the Kobis presales data, which covers the all cinema chains, is the exact opposite and have TJB at #1 (68,203), Warcraft #2 (43,668), and the Handmaiden #3 (42,873). 

since presales are literally presales, it is a good indicator that TJB will do better on the weekend. But then again #1 is not guaranteed for TJB for the weekend since Korean films usually perform stronger at regualr ticket sales excluding the presales.

My local cinema today had 20 showings of Jungle Book to 6 for Warcraft. It surprised me. 

ANd I am very proud of the thread title cheers :) 

• Like 1

Thursday numbers

#1. Warcraft                110,925 (113,106 total)

#2. The Handmaiden    105,192 (2,603,801 total)

#3. The Jungle Book      72,194 (79,066 total)

#4. The Conjuring 2       69,068 (71,696 total)

#5. The Wailing             21,189 (6,534,060 total)

#6. Me Before You         18,610 (396,028 total)

#7. X-Men: Apocalypse   14,549 (2,789,026 total) ouch.

#8. Born to Be Blue         4,144 (8,841 total)

presales

#1. The Jungle Book     78,294

#2. The Handmaiden    49,290

#3. Warcraft                48,188

#4. The Conjuring 2     16,279

#5. Me Before You         8,953

#6. X-Men: Apocalypse   7,856

#7. The Wailing              6,576

• Like 4

A little disappointing but not too bad number for TJB. On par with the Good Dinosaur (75k OD/1.33M total) and BH6's OD adm (72k OD/2.8M total). 

Zoo's 1st day was merely 35k. ;) and Mad Max last year started off a 90k OD and crawled all the way to 3.8M total.

Apocalypse really took the hit.. but it could still manage to clear 3M with about a 60% drop weekend. (200k Fri-Sun)

Edited by yjs
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, yjs said:

A little disappointing but not too bad number for TJB. On par with the Good Dinosaur's OD adm. (75k OD/1.33M total)

Zoo's 1st day was merely 35k. ;) and Mad Max last year started off a 90k OD and crawled all the way to 3.8M total.

Apocalypse really took the hit.. but it could still manage to clear 3M with about a 60% drop weekend. (200k Fri-Sun)

I Know the competition is Huge and movies cant make huge profits. But what cumulative profit u think Warcraft wil make in SOuth KOrea?(in milions) 4-5?

One thing I'm worried about TJB is that its early responses from both critics and the GA aren't as good as I expected. The overseas reviews set the bar and the expectation a little too high it seems. The audience didn't seem to feel nostalgic enough since the original was never that big here and most of the online reviews point out that while it surely felt like a visual feast it was a little too repetitive and childish. the critics review aggregation leaves it at 6.5~7 area out of 10.

So this weekend should be important for TJB to turn that around when it's shown to the targeted family audience. But then again, it's not off-school season yet so it should appeal more as a date film to perform better, yet ID4 buzz is building rapidly and it arrives 2 weeks from now. It could really go either way from here. Will keep an eye on it and its WOM.

Warcraft, on the other hand, is actually getting some positive feedbacks..! critics review still very negative tho. maybe it's the Asian gaming culture, it doing relatively well in China and Korea?

Edited by yjs
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Rentaro1989 said:

I Know the competition is Huge and movies cant make huge profits. But what cumulative profit u think Warcraft wil make in SOuth KOrea?(in milions) 4-5?

I'm not really sure about what you mean by cumulative profit but if you meant total gross in USD not the net profit then for now I have it at $10M-$15M range.

10 minutes ago, yjs said:

I'm not really sure about what you mean by cumulative profit but if you meant total gross in USD not the net profit then for now I have it at $10M-$15M range.

Yeah this is what i meant! Aww a total of 12-13 mil is quite good i guess

• Like 1

Friday admission numbers

#1. The Handmaiden    130,938 (2,736,276 total)

#2. Warcraft                117,408 (233,583 total)

#3. The Conjuring 2       99,176 (174,683 total)

#4. The Jungle Book      93,478 (173,625 total)

#5. The Wailing             27,987 (6,562,436 total)

#6. Me Before You         25,259 (421,476 total)

#7. X-Men: Apocalypse   21,224 (2,810,479 total) 

presales

#1. The Jungle Book    140,473

#2. Warcraft                67,334

#3. The Handmaiden    60,693

#4. The Conjuring 2     27,144

#5. Me Before You        13,918

#6. X-Men: Apocalypse  12,804

TJB somehow turning out to be a heavily weekend-driven force but it might be seen like that just because of the slightly overcrowded market with new releases.

It's acting similar to BH6 (BH6 OD Wed: 72,487 (#3), Thu: 94,778 (#2) Fri: 99,826 (#2), Sat: 275,671 (#2), Sun: 287,903 (#2) total: 2,801,949) and Inside Out. (Inside Out OD Thu: 68,222 (#4), Fri: 95,559 (#4), Sat: 279,092 (#2), Sun: 304,608 (#2) total: 4,969,735)

The other three films in the top 4 though seem to have a higher turnout rate at the cinemas so it could be a neck and neck weekend rather than TJB domination. 

• Like 5

12 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

when is dory opening. Will that have an impact on jungle book?

11 hours ago, Olive said:

July 7

No, cause by then TJB will be in its week 5 and would have almost completed its run and already taken hits by TMNT2, ID4 and Tarzan. 

• Like 2

Saturday admission numbers

#1. The Jungle Book    311,426    (486,211 total)

#2. Warcraft                226,427    (462,570 total)

#3. The Handmaiden    211,541 (2,949,495 total)

#4. The Conjuring 2     183,024    (362,373 total)

#5. The Wailing             53,485 (6,616,378 total)

#6. Me Before You         40,571    (462,251 total)

#7. X-Men: Apocalypse   39,835 (2,850,516 total) : oh wow, 3M by this weekend definitely NOT looking so good...

presales

#1. The Jungle Book    114,556

#2. Warcraft                45,720

#3. The Handmaiden    37,848

#4. The Conjuring 2     20,262

#5. Me Before You        10,552

#6. X-Men: Apocalypse  10,267

TJB slightly overperformed :)

Edited by yjs
  • Like 6

hmm SOOO since TJB so far has been performing similar to IO... 

- IO faced much stronger competitions week by week, but at the same time it seemed to have much better WOM and was appreciated more by the adult audience which helped develop its legs. (TJB so far is more taken as a more typical family film.)

- IO even increased by 40% on its second weekend! wonder how it'd be for TJB's second weekend outing. (BH6 nearly stayed flat on its second weekend, Zootopia increased by 30% and TGD decreased by 40%)

- IO had its first behemoth challenger on its third weekend, which was a local hit that debuted with a decent 2.45M figures, and IO's drop rate was merely 25%, which was still better than the first weekend's numbers.

- I'd still leave TJB at 3M+ adm range. TMNT2 and a local Korean film won't be too tough to match next week, but ID4 will be the real challenge the following weekend. 

Edited by yjs
  • Like 2

hmm SOOO since TJB so far has been performing similar to IO... 

- IO faced much stronger competitions week by week, but at the same time it seemed to have much better WOM and was appreciated more by the adult audience which helped develop its legs. (TJB so far is more taken as a more typical family film.)

- IO even increased by 40% on its second weekend! wonder how it'd be for TJB's second weekend outing. (BH6 nearly stayed flat on its second weekend, Zootopia increased by 30% and TGD decreased by 40%)

- IO had its first behemoth challenger on its third weekend, which was a local hit that debuted with a decent 2.45M figures, and IO's drop rate was merely 25%, which was still better than the first weekend's numbers.

- I'd still leave TJB at 3M+ adm range. TMNT2 and a local Korean film won't be too tough to match next week, but ID4 will be the real challenge the following weekend. 

So +$30 million total for TJB from SK seems possible looking at first numbers?

16 hours ago, snitch said:

And for Warcraft? Is 20Mil possible?

By the way, if they make a Starcraft movie, what do you think it would gross in SK?

Warcraft is aiming for lower $10M range, if not $7M-$9M. Based on this first weekend gross the best I can see it finishes would be $10M to $12M..? Even TJB's $20M chance is not too high, I believe. somewhere between $15M~$20M more likely.  

3 hours ago, Rsyu said:

From a purely biased and personal point of view, TJB has nothing on IO :) 

yeah, honestly I myself much preferred IO to TJB as well and I also believe TJB will fall short of it at the Korean box office.

Edited by yjs

17 hours ago, snitch said:

By the way, if they make a Starcraft movie, what do you think it would gross in SK?

A Starcraft movie, while it surely has some serious potential, I don't think it will break out in a 10M+ adm way since it'd still not be a 4 quad movie. More 5M+ if things go right.

It would very strongly appeal to the young male demo, but they are not the most committed moviegoers and instead the most active online pirates. Also the popularity of the series itself has waned a bit so it would have to work its nostalgia factor with an actual good quality film. 

Another absurd factor to consider is that moviegoing is much more considered as a date activity and going to the movies all guys is slightly tabooed here, so the main target audience would just rather wait and find an online leak than checking the movie with the friends in a cult fashion, if they don't feel too loyal to Starcraft enough to see it on the OD or in the OW. While this same theory might apply to Marvel movies, they still work as "date films" here, but Starcraft, since the gaming culture has been much more connected to the male entourage culture so it wouldn't work as well as the Marvel flicks as a date movie.

Edited by yjs
  • Like 2