diskojustice

South Korea Box Office

Went to the cinema yesterday and ended up seeing The Terror: live.

Understood about 12% of it as it is all dialogue (with one main character on the phone the whole time).

It seemed like an idea that could get replicated in Hollywood but I couldn't follow enough to know how good it really was.

Also now understand why NYSM is doing so well as the only Hollywood options available were that or R.I.P.D.

Went to the cinema yesterday and ended up seeing The Terror: live.

Understood about 12% of it as it is all dialogue (with one main character on the phone the whole time).

It seemed like an idea that could get replicated in Hollywood but I couldn't follow enough to know how good it really was.

Also now understand why NYSM is doing so well as the only Hollywood options available were that or R.I.P.D.

Have you watched Hide and Seek or The Flu yet?

No I haven't.

In general the lack of subtitles (for obvious reasons) puts me off watching a lot of Korean films in cinema. My friend picked Terror because it looked like an action film.

Turns out we probably should have gone for Flu I think. 

• Like 1

OMG!August admissions 29.1M, biggest month ever, up 30%+ from previous record.

That's incredible. There were quite a few local titles doing very well. Hollywood releases didn't pull in mega big numbers but a lot of them performed well. But wow, up 30%, that's great.
  • Like 1

That's incredible. There were quite a few local titles doing very well. Hollywood releases didn't pull in mega big numbers but a lot of them performed well.But wow, up 30%, that's great.

Yes, this market keeps surprising us.

BTW, SP has passed IM3 on Sat ,#1 of 2013 now.

It's just crazy to see such grosses in an already high-performing marketing. How many admissions can we expect for the whole year?

If it's exactly the same as 2012 for the rest of the year, 213m. And it's going to be more than that. I see no way but down next year.
  • Like 1

It's just crazy to see such grosses in an already high-performing marketing. How many admissions can we expect for the whole year?

If it keeps strong like last year from September to the end of this year, 200M is very likely and possibly 210M.

• Like 1

Ah...Forgot that monster.

Yeah. That one, IM3, and SP are the big boys this year, help contributing to the surge in admissions. There are quite a numbers of movies with 4M+ admissions too iirc. I still haven't watched Miracle yet, I hope I can find it online with Eng sub.

If it's exactly the same as 2012 for the rest of the year, 213m. And it's going to be more than that. I see no way but down next year.

OMG, it would completely pass France (192m expected this year, and this country has 65m inhabitants, compared to 50m in SK), it's absolutely unbelievable o_o

This phenomenon won't be able to last though, given it's becoming a mature market and its very low population growth and rapid aging. Still, it's really beyond I expected, this country never cease to impress me!