diskojustice

South Korea Box Office

6 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

The remakes are usually huge in Asia. If TLM tanks in CN and SK really needs a good JP atleast. Otherwise might actually skew DOM 😅

Aladdin and Lion King had shows which really helped cement them in Asian. The Arabian Nights animated show along with the Timon and Pumbaa shows were huge in Asia. Jungle Book had a very very very popular and nostalgic TV show for most of the region as well, India especially which is why Jungle Book did so so well in India. 

TLM never had that big popular show in Asia because the cartoon came out the same time as Ducktales in the region, and Ducktales was so popular that a lot of broadcasters just aired 2 episodes of it back to back instead of Little Mermaid and then Ducktales. That big nostalgia factor is much less for TLM in Asian markets.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, grim22 said:

Aladdin and Lion King had shows which really helped cement them in Asian. The Arabian Nights animated show along with the Timon and Pumbaa shows were huge in Asia. Jungle Book had a very very very popular and nostalgic TV show for most of the region as well, India especially which is why Jungle Book did so so well in India. 

TLM never had that big popular show in Asia because the cartoon came out the same time as Ducktales in the region, and Ducktales was so popular that a lot of broadcasters just aired 2 episodes of it back to back instead of Little Mermaid and then Ducktales. That big nostalgia factor is much less for TLM in Asian markets.

That is good to know. But if that is the case then OS expectations for this film need to be recalibrated since both BatB and Aladdin did great in Asia (making 230 and 250M in JP-Cn-SK alone). Maybe TLM can play well in JP but I don't see it match aladdin/batb and the yen is in a terrible spot.

14 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

That is good to know. But if that is the case then OS expectations for this film need to be recalibrated since both BatB and Aladdin did great in Asia (making 230 and 250M in JP-Cn-SK alone). Maybe TLM can play well in JP but I don't see it match aladdin/batb and the yen is in a terrible spot.

In theory, fairly tale musicals should have great WOM in both SK and Japan (I believe that's why Aladdin and the Frozens did so well there). But then again, Beauty and the Beast grossed much less than Aladdin in SK despite having a similar performance in Japan. 

4 minutes ago, KP1025 said:

In theory, fairly tale musicals should have great WOM in both SK and Japan (I believe that's why Aladdin and the Frozens did so well there). But then again, Beauty and the Beast grossed much less than Aladdin in SK despite having a similar performance in Japan. 

There are some hurdles in Japan.

1. Disney has royally fucked their standing in the market. Their films have been bombing left right and center since the start of covid. Their relationship with JP theaters has been terrible and they straight up even got boycotted for a while a couple years back when they tried to ask for a bigger share for their films. They also had a period where all their films would get dropped from theaters after a month due to quick j+ releases.

2. Hollywood in general has not been doing super great.

3. No star power whatsoever. I think Halle looks really good in the trailers but she is a nobody in JP. Both BaTb and Aladdin had big names in Japan (Watson and Smith). There's no one here.

4. Black-led films don't typically do well in japan. The only known black star here is pretty much Will Smith.

Also and the most obvious one of all, the yen is fucked. Even if it matches Aladdin/BatB in yen it's automatically losing 20M. But I think matching these 2 is really tough already. I don't think it will bomb here though. That would be terrible for Disney. I hope it can do 7-8b atleast.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

There are some hurdles in Japan.

1. Disney has royally fucked their standing in the market. Their films have been bombing left right and center since the start of covid. Their relationship with JP theaters has been terrible and they straight up even got boycotted for a while a couple years back when they tried to ask for a bigger share for their films. They also had a period where all their films would get dropped from theaters after a month due to quick j+ releases.

2. Hollywood in general has not been doing super great.

3. No star power whatsoever. I think Halle looks really good in the trailers but she is a nobody in JP. Both BaTb and Aladdin had big names in Japan (Watson and Smith). There's no one here.

4. Black-led films don't typically do well in japan. The only known black star here is pretty much Will Smith.

Also and the most obvious one of all, the yen is fucked. Even if it matches Aladdin/BatB in yen it's automatically losing 20M. But I think matching these 2 is really tough already. I don't think it will bomb here though. That would be terrible for Disney. I hope it can do 7-8b atleast.

Agreed. I think in leggy markets like SK and Japan, the presence of Disney+ itself is also a big detriment to the box office. These are markets where audiences don't mind waiting months to see a film in theaters, especially Japan. Now that audiences have been conditioned to expect a theatrical release to drop on streaming within 3 months, I think a sizeable portion have decided they would just wait to watch for free (even more so if reviews are not amazing). This seems to affect family films disproportionately too due to the price of taking a family to the movies. Before the advent of streaming platforms, you either bought tickets to watch a film in theaters or bought the Blu-ray/DVD 3-6 months later. 

• Like 1