diskojustice

South Korea Box Office

Wed presales were 29,457 versus ~26k yesterday. So that means the walkups are at 33.7k today versus ~29k yesterday by 15:00. Unlike yesterday where it started off 30% ahead of Monday's presales (~20k) but only ended +9% because the walkups were basically the same, today looks like it will keep the 10-15% lead it started with all the way through making the mid-90s possible!

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, IronJimbo & Sheldon's Son said:

15:00 - 63,203 (+15.1k vs. +12.8k Tue same period)

Pacing 18% faster than the fastest period yesterday, lets see if it has better internal legs than yesterday since Tuesday ended up quite frontloaded. 

Also is Wednesday always a discount day in SK even outside of Culture Day? I noticed the ATP is down to around $7.20 today. It's not as cheap as CD but it does mean Elemental will need to try for 95k+ admissions to keep the gross increase streak alive.

I will keep an eye on that ATP next wednesday as well. OD ATP is always inflated. However it's normal that ATP goes down week to week: for exampple atp this monday was lower than the week before, same will probably be true on thursday en friday.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, IronJimbo & Sheldon's Son said:

ATSV is having a really good day as well for some reason, it's at 20,885 admissions at 5pm versus 16,661 for all of yesterday. I wonder why it increased so much? It even lost 90 screens!

Maybe Wednesday is the best weekday for movies if they don't lose a lot of showtimes to big openers, because if we look at Elemental first week, wednesday was also the biggest day of the week, dropping on thursday. If we see that repeat this week that might be something to keep in mind for the future :o

Also maybe there is a slight discount in some places explaining  the lower ATP you noticed?

Edited by pepsa
  • Like 1

Jesus it's at 34k CGV at 17:20, I mean at worst it gets to 41k today, only matching tuesdays evening. More likely we see 42-44k though. So using 42k and a 0.42 - 0.43 % cgv ratio gets us 97.7k - 100k. I mean I know 100k isn't a 110k but it's god damm close.

• Like 2
  • Astonished 1

12 minutes ago, pepsa said:

Maybe Wednesday is the best weekday for movies if they don't lose a lot of showtimes to big openers, because if we look at Elemental first week, wednesday was also the biggest day of the week, dropping on thursday. If we see that repeat this week that might be something to keep in mind for the future :o

Also maybe there is a slight discount in some places explaining  the lower ATP you noticed?

Yeah maybe one chain is offering a discount today since ATPs seem a little bit lower all across the board. Also is there a chance that some kids are out of school already? That would explain the nice jumps for ATSV and Elemental, meanwhile Indy 5 and RoundUp look like they will be dropping and I know they skew older.

I agree that the pattern for Elemental's weekdays so far seems to be Wed > Thu > Tue > Mon. Even if last Wednesday wasn't Culture Day I think it still would have grossed more than every other weekday, probably somewhere in the region of ~75-80k. That would mean today would be a ~20-30% increase, in line with the other week-to-week increases we've seen so far this week.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, pepsa said:

Jesus it's at 34k CGV at 17:20, I mean at worst it gets to 41k today, only matching tuesdays evening. More likely we see 42-44k though. So using 42k and a 0.42 - 0.43 % cgv ratio gets us 97.7k - 100k. I mean I know 100k isn't a 110k but it's god damm close.

maybe Elemental can be a 10m admission film in Korea.

• Like 2
  • Astonished 1

5 minutes ago, cannastop said:

At this point I think it's safe to say MI7 won't wipe it off the board when it releases next week and since it will work well as counterprogramming and with schools finishing + MI7 being frontloaded I don't see why it won't continue to be a leggy monster in the weeks to come. These are quite literally the best holds I have ever seen for a movie. It wouldn't surprise me if it has a drop next week but then increases again after that lol

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, cannastop said:

It 100% has the WOM for it, if it were an empty summer I would say a 100%. But for now it's an uncertainty untill we the hold vs MI7. And what to me is more scrary is if oppenheimer and barbie manage (and are likely to get) respectable opening the week after that might really hit its showcounts hard.

Because obviously by MI7 release Elemental will be the clear nr 1 movie by far over all the other release. But the second week of MI7 should be quite a bit bigger than this week of Elemental, so going in to the Barbenheimer weekend it would be the distant nr 2 and probably only 4th for the weekend. Still if any movie can survive this it's a movie that increases 3 weeks in a row.

EDIT: Oppenheimer isn't releasing day and date with the US, meaning that 1.5m opener less to deal with. So like Jimbo says there is no reason to believe that as long as this movie has enough showtimes it will hold amazingly.

Edited by pepsa
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, pepsa said:

It 100% has the WOM for it, if it were an empty summer I would say a 100%. But for now it's an uncertainty untill we the hold vs MI7. And what to me is more scrary is if oppenheimer and barbie manage (and are likely to get) respectable opening the week after that might really hit its showcounts hard.

Oppenheimer releases on Korean Liberation Day - 08.15.2023

So, questions rises only on SC/shows holds week after week. We also have local films too. But, Oppenheimer is far from it

• Like 1

WED

11am: 39,827 (+14.3% over Tues)

1pm: 48,065  +20.68%  (+12.18 over Tues)

3pm: 63,203  +31.49% (+13.67% over Tues)

5pm: 77,040  +21.89%  (+16.54 over Tues)

7pm:  89,352  +15.98%   (+18.68% over Tues)

!!!!

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 5
  • Heart 1

17 minutes ago, IronJimbo & Sheldon's Son said:

81z7mGp.png

I was checking the presales for the next few days and decided to sort it by tickets sold and well... just look at the translated names of some of these movies further down 🤣

Lewd Sister Lover Sharing

A new employee who tastes like drunken filter

:rofl:

• Haha 1