Fullbuster

Man of Steel thread OS

No one doubts that SM grosses are far more impressive than IM1 (or MOS). The question is between IM1 and MOS, and I think they are pretty comparable.

Yeah but the bottom line is that MOS will make almost 100m more then IM1 when all is said and done. You can factor in 3D and ticket price inflation all you want, but it doesn't really change that fact. My original point wasn't to belittle IM1 achievements in anyway. IM1 done great overall and I'd like say interms of success they're actually on par with one another. I just don't buy the size of the OS market argument making any significant difference as to what IM would've made.

Yeah but the bottom line is that MOS will make almost 100m more then IM1 when all is said and done. You can factor in 3D and ticket price inflation all you want, but it doesn't really change that fact. My original point wasn't to belittle IM1 achievements in anyway. IM1 done great overall and I'd like say interms of success they're actually on par with one another. I just don't buy the size of the OS market argument making any significant difference as to what IM would've made.

The numbers for the whole market have changed as much as the difference between the films. The question is if this is a matter of all the films themselves being so much more appealing, or a matter of inflation and growing markets. I think it's the latter, and that in this case it can basically explain the entirety of the difference.

Edited by Tower
  • Like 2

The numbers for the whole market have changed as much as the difference between the films. The question is if this is a matter of all the films themselves being so much more appealing, or a matter of inflation and growing markets. I think it's the latter, and that in this case it can basically explain the entirety of the difference.

Inflation has had a bigger impact along with 3D, then the growing markets themselves. But clearly it's basic common sense that  the appeal of a movie has a bigger impact then anything on the success of a movie, BB done 374m vs TDK's billion, 3 years of inflation and growing os markets isn't the difference between these two film, it's the wom of one resulted in an increase in interest in the other and a higher gross.

Inflation has had a bigger impact along with 3D, then the growing markets themselves. But clearly it's basic common sense that  the appeal of a movie has a bigger impact then anything on the success of a movie, BB done 374m vs TDK's billion, 3 years of inflation and growing os markets isn't the difference between these two film, it's the wom of one resulted in an increase in interest in the other and a higher gross.

Certainly, which is why films releasing in close proximity to one another could be compared on pure numbers. the further apart they release the bigger of an effect that has, which is how you get the examples from this post. In the case of TDK, while the 2 year gap made some difference, it was clearly negligible compared to to other factors.

Certainly, which is why films releasing in close proximity to one another could be compared on pure numbers. the further apart they release the bigger of an effect that has, which is how you get the examples from this post. In the case of TDK, while the 2 year gap made some difference, it was clearly negligible compared to to other factors.

I don't think our positions are that far apart, it appears to come down to how much of an impact each of us feels the OS market expansion has been I think a little you seem to think alot.

Edited by BadDevil

Why SPIDER-MAN is popular around the world despite a rather awkward direction by Raimi?

Posted Image

People really loved the first Spiderman.  You have to remember that came out in 2002 not that long after 9/11.  People were looking to have a good time at the movies and Spiderman advertised itself as an upbeat exciting superhero movie with a character that had yet to be portrayed on the big screen before.  Remember the Nickelback song Hero was a big hit along with the movies release.  So in the US it exploded and around the world I imagine It was the great word of mouth.  Spiderman just was perfect timing and marketing.  A franchise could not have started out any better..  Oh yeah and the movie was really good too LOL.. 

Edited by Daniel Breidenstein

700WW would be nice  -- but honestly at the way tis' going now even with Japan -- I think $680 WW is more like it.

That's pretty darn good for a start. Can't complaint -- Second best start for a Reboot Franchise. I'm pretty sure MOS2:WF will blow this number out of the water.

No Bale No billion!

hmmm looks like MOS OS only gained 2.5 million for this week. Brazil is weeker than I anticipated.

Its run has most likely ended in the majority of OS markets. Brazil saw quite steep drop last weekend with Wolverine opening, I guess it lost screen and fell further this week.2.5M is quite a big drop, I think it made 7M+ last week. It's all on Japan now. 20M over there is the goal. Edited by Sam

MOS did well in many countries but was DOA in some other countries. Some superhero friendly markets like Mexico and SK disappointed as well. 

The total for the overseas did not disappoint compared to most other comic book movies though.  And for a franchise reboot just 7 years removed from a disappointment MOS hit it out of the park.  It almost doubled the WW take..