CJohn

Frozen OS thread

Isn't $10m a little bit too high? Frozen is WDAS, not Pixar. They are different. FN was released after MI broke out, and Hollywood movies were more popular back then. MU and TS3 are sequel/prequel. I don't think they're comparable. Besides, $10m OW is very rare lately. Even The Wind Rises couldn't manage to do it. And it was heavily promoted as the last movie from Miyazaki.

Pretty valid point I guess, especially now that you mention TWR's OW. Still Frozen does have extraordinary global hype at the moment and 2 oscars to it's name (Something I don't think the previous animated films had) which should translate to a good OW for frozen. 

Record book was thrown out of the window in SK (grossed tangled X10) hoping Japan follows suit :D

Edited by Rsyu
  • Like 1

Just read through that domestic 250M club thread for Frozen that was started in July, and everyone thought anything significantly over 200M was preposterous. Getting the same vibe here right now...

Edited by Ray

I doubt it gets to 10M OW, I'm not even sure if any movie hit that number last year. 5M will be great and should lead to 60M+. 

I agree, 5-6m would be great. With extraordinary legs, I think that OW would be enough for 70m+ total. But it's Frozen we're talking about here. Anything could happen.

• Like 1

I doubt it gets to 10M OW, I'm not even sure if any movie hit that number last year. 5M will be great and should lead to 60M+. 

Yeah, none hit 10m on OW last year but there were multiple (3 or 4) in 2012. interestingly Hollywood films have more 10m+ OW than Japanese films 23/34.

If MU can do 8m than Frozen can beat that. There is a lot of hype and anticipation. Pixar, sequel, whatever.

Yes, it can certainly do better than MU, although that's not guaranteed.

My point was that the dollar admissions listed are subject to the exchange rate, which varies quite a bit over time. If you want to see how Frozen truly compares to the other ones, you need to look at the yen it earns, not the dollars.

• Like 1

Yes, it can certainly do better than MU, although that's not guaranteed. My point was that the dollar admissions listed are subject to the exchange rate, which varies quite a bit over time. If you want to see how Frozen truly compares to the other ones, you need to look at the yen it earns, not the dollars.

Exchange rate nearly same for MU. 15% difference for TS3. In the end thoogh, its all about the dollars.

Exchange rate nearly same for MU. 15% difference for TS3. In the end thoogh, its all about the dollars.

What? No.

In the end there are a plethora of metrics you can use to compare films, and straight WW gross in dollars is only one of them. Attendance is another. Gross in local currency is another. Adjusted for inflation (usually only done domestically, but it could apply elsewhere) is another. In many cases, the straight WW gross is one of the least accurate, because it doesn't account for currency fluctuation and doesn't account for varying inflation. It's simple and easy, but that doesn't mean it's the only one that matters.

I'd say admission numbers are the more objective barometer when ranking movies, as population fluctuation is pretty stable when compared to currency. Having said that currency is much more useful in comparing budgets and gross to see how well the movie did financially which is probably what the studios care about more. Both are important when comparing movies imo.Are their any countries besides sk which uses admissions as their main BO barometer?

• Like 1

What? No. In the end there are a plethora of metrics you can use to compare films, and straight WW gross in dollars is only one of them. Attendance is another. Gross in local currency is another. Adjusted for inflation (usually only done domestically, but it could apply elsewhere) is another. In many cases, the straight WW gross is one of the least accurate, because it doesn't account for currency fluctuation and doesn't account for varying inflation. It's simple and easy, but that doesn't mean it's the only one that matters.

It does for disney and for us tracking dollars. Older movies and inflation another matter. For Mu comparison, yen- dollar is the same. We don't track admissions in us, they are not comparable over time due to metrics. Right now refferring to the bottom line. 100m+? Yes or no?

Are their any countries besides sk which uses admissions as their main BO barometer?

In some south american countries where the economy is unstable, the inflation rate is high and the exchange rate is controlled by the government, admissions are the best way to compare movies. 

In some south american countries where the economy is unstable, the inflation rate is high and the exchange rate is controlled by the government, admissions are the best way to compare movies. 

Here goes an example:

In Argentina:

Frozen (2014) / 1.93 M admissions / $11.5 M / ARS 90.56 M

Shrek the Third (2007) / 1.94 M admissions / $6.2 M / ARS 18.63 M

Almost same admissions but in money the difference is hugh...

ARS = Argentinean Pesos

• Like 1

Here goes an example:

In Argentina:

Frozen (2014) / 1.93 M admissions / $11.5 M / ARS 90.56 M

Shrek the Third (2007) / 1.94 M admissions / $6.2 M / ARS 18.63 M

Almost same admissions but in money the difference is hugh...

ARS = Argentinean Pesos

Thanks for that. Glad to know Frozen got the better exchange rate! :D

• Like 1

Friday in Japan

552+ screens 

Ralph 421

Final SC may be over 600, still 10% less than MU.

MU 661 screens

The Wind Rises 454(very big SC for a local movie)

Edited by Olive
  • Like 3

Friday in Japan552+ screens Ralph 421Final SC may be over 600, still 10% less than MU.MU 661 screensThe Wind Rises 454(very big SC for a local movie)

Do hollywood movies generally get more sc than local films?

Do hollywood movies generally get more sc than local films?

Yes, especially for movies with 2 versions: subtitled & dubbed. They need extra screens for the dubbed version.

in Japan it's not a good idea to use admissions,its population is declining and its youth is decreasing quite fast.Population is as fluctuating than the exchange rate,or almost..Dollars will be enough for me.

But exchange rates fluctuate more than Japan's population, they can increase or decrease at various rates. That's why DamienRoc said it's better to use yen, instead of dollars when comparing movies in Japan. There are no inflation and changes in ticket prices for years. So 5b yen for a 2D movie 10 years ago is the same as 5b yen for a 2D movie now. But in dollars, those 2 movies could be very different.

Edited by catlover
  • Like 1