CJohn

Frozen OS thread

Is a Friday opening not the norm there? Does that mean most or all those other openings from before were two-day totals?

No, it's unusual. Most movies are released on Saturday, so all opening numbers we've seen are 2-day numbers. It used to be all movies, but lately some Hollywood movies open on Friday.

Interesting. So we'll almost certainly see a lower 2-day total than those previously listed movies, but the 3-day weekend could even things out or perhaps push it even higher (optimistically speaking), assuming Friday is significant.

Do people in Japan not go to movies on Friday? Is that why Friday numbers aren't usually reported?

No, they just don't count that day into the weekend, just a matter of habit I think. Paradoxically, weekdays are about as strong as weekends there.

I'm sticking w 110. No fun being cautious here. Caution is good when having sex in tijuana though;)

I think it explodes and matchs TS3 minus yen adjustment.

Omni, you're not a hater but you are overly conservative. Even when it was apparent than china would come in at 30m by the second weekend, you still said no more than 35m total. Being way under is just as poor a predictor as shooting the moon.

At least you offered to eat your hat at 50m! Close call.

Remember it has to sell many more tickets than TS3 to reach 110M, as that film also had a 9:1 3D/2D ratio helping it.

About China, Frozen stayed about flat on its 2nd weekend, something I refused to accept as likely. Also, you should also mention that after that weekend I was still doubtful about its chances of 50M, while many (including you?) said 50M was locked and 60M probable. I don't like being carried away with the excitement and prefer remaining on the reasonable side, even when it may look a tad conservative from the outside.

Japan...well, I gave enough evidence of why Frozen could stop its run with not much more than 50M in its bag. If we were in 2010, I'd predict 100M. I can change my mind if you give me enough data (for example, some concrete signs of its huge hype there), but as of now I think the only argument is "it's Frozen we are talking about, look at how it performed in South Korea". Which isn't enough for me to jump on the 100+ wagon.

Edited by Omni

We need more Japanese members on here! Too little information on the finer details such as BO buzz :(

In South Korea you are very ambitious about English learning and conquest of foreign markets,this is why there are many of you here.In Japan they're much more inward-looking and their English skills are weaker..they slowly try to improve because they know they need it but that will take time. It's sad but that explain why we don't have Japanese members here,despite Japan clearly has a bigger population than SK.

So I checked iTunes Japan and found out that Idina's Let It Go is #2 and the Japanese version is #6. And it looks like Let It Go was #1 until yesterday, then a new release pushed it back to #2. That's a good sign right? I mean the movie hasn't even been released but the song is already a hit.

• Like 2

Just when you thought frozen couldn't break any more records in South Korea it breaks more.

Frozen sets a record for the most VOD sales ever according to "Olleh tv" which provides internet tv services.

On the day of it's release (3/3) frozen set the record for largest gross in a single day with $552,434

As of 3/10 it has grossed a total of $2.03m with 156,000 downloads

To put this number into perspective, in the same time period frozen managed 153,000 admissions in theaters with $1.19m in gross.

other big internet tv companies "U+tvG" and "B tv" also announced that frozen broke daily sale records but did not disclose their cumulative gross. Frozen is also ranked #1 & #2 (different versions) in download on Korea's biggest portal site Naver. exact numbers for that I don't know

And all this in a country where illegal downloads is second nature to people :D

Edited by Rsyu
  • Like 3

In South Korea you are very ambitious about English learning and conquest of foreign markets,this is why there are many of you here.In Japan they're much more inward-looking and their English skills are weaker..they slowly try to improve because they know they need it but that will take time. It's sad but that explain why we don't have Japanese members here,despite Japan clearly has a bigger population than SK.

Frozen brought me here specifically but I catch your drift  :P

So I checked iTunes Japan and found out that Idina's Let It Go is #2 and the Japanese version is #6. And it looks like Let It Go was #1 until yesterday, then a new release pushed it back to #2. That's a good sign right? I mean the movie hasn't even been released but the song is already a hit.

Of course,it's a very good sign :)

I'd say admission numbers are the more objective barometer when ranking movies, as population fluctuation is pretty stable when compared to currency. Having said that currency is much more useful in comparing budgets and gross to see how well the movie did financially which is probably what the studios care about more. Both are important when comparing movies imo.Are their any countries besides sk which uses admissions as their main BO barometer?

The Swedish Film Institute tracks both admissions and gross in kronor (SEK), and primarily sorts their lists via admissions rather than the kronor earned. Unfortunately, while they're usually on the ball when it comes to listing the top ten movies of the weekend and week, the full lists, with admissions and earnings and all that, is way behind (currently only updated through the end of 2013).

I counted again and Frozen will have 583 screens in Japan on Friday.

FYI.

I read the article in Japan's very famous site 2ch, which says

672(***)scr 03/14 「アナと雪の女王」ウォルト・ディズニー・ピクチャーズ

http://kohada.2ch.net/test/read.cgi/animovie/1394603656/

I don't know why the difference of two numbers is so huge.