CJohn

Frozen OS thread

I think Interstellar has a shot at 1B WW. Inception made 800m and Nolan is a very bankable director all over the globe.

But oh boy would love to see Disney pull another Frozen with Big Hero 6 but that will depend on the quality of the movie.

It's disgusting to see how big the Ice Age junks are overseas. They need to be dethroned, it's at least a matter of respectability.

Transformers is a near-lock for 1B. Hobbit has a good chance, HG3 will likely miss it by around 10%.

As much as I'd love Maleficent to win the year, I'm sure that a sub-500M gross is much much more likely than a finish close to 1B.

Ice Age Continental Drift did significantly better than Frozen in South America (near 180M$!), China, Germany and Russia. Frozen triumphs in United Kingdom, South Korea and Japan. (in North America Frozen more than double of Ice Age)

That is true but who knows.

Which films do you think can earn 1b?

The Hobbit- likely, but just barely.

Transformers- probably. Hard to say how the new cast will affect things

Mockingjay pt. 1- Possible. Caching Fire increased from 691m to over 864m. A similar increase would push it over 1b, although I think it will do around 950m.

• Like 1

The Hobbit- likely, but just barely.Transformers- probably. Hard to say how the new cast will affect thingsMockingjay pt. 1- Possible. Caching Fire increased from 691m to over 864m. A similar increase would push it over 1b, although I think it will do around 950m.

Interstellar is sure for me. Inception was one of the highest grossing original release of past years. Nolan brothers builds a very strong fanbase all around the world. Leading actor is the oscar winner.I agree for Hobbit (the last Tolkien movie), but not for Trasformers, cast appeal is less important in this franchise than for example for Pirates of Caribbean. Good or bad marketing is the point.Hunger games could be have a run like Twilight, strong increase for second movie, small increase (or no increase) for 3rd and 4rt and new increase for the final movie. So billion is for Mockingjai 2.
  • Like 1

The Hobbit- likely, but just barely.

Transformers- probably. Hard to say how the new cast will affect things

Mockingjay pt. 1- Possible. Caching Fire increased from 691m to over 864m. A similar increase would push it over 1b, although I think it will do around 950m.

I agree on the Hobbit.

Transformers I think will crack 1b only because of expanding international markets and so many Asian countries love any big budget movie about robots. Hopefully there will be enough of a domestic decrease to prevent this one from getting into the top 10 though.

Mockingjay pt. 1 is doubtful for me. The foreign haul will definitely increase and there is a quite a lot of goodwill built up from the first two films but I think Lion's Gate may have hurt their chances of a billion dollar movie when they opted to split this one up especially since the book is easily the weakest in the trilogy. WOM from part 1 may hurt Part 2's chances but probably not enough to stop that one from crossing the billion dollar threshold in 2015.

Intersteller has a outside shot too but it could just as easily gross half that imo and WOM will be a huge factor.

Also, X-Men: DoFP is an interesting wildcard. If it gets an Avengers type bump (which is possible given the huge cast tie-ins and multi-faceted nature of this sequel/prequel) then it should at least contend for the spot of number 1 superhero movie of the year which may be enough to push it over 1 Billion if all of the overseas markets also over-perform (although it will still probably fall a little short). Remember the highest grossing pre-Avengers tie-in Movie was Iron Man 2 which only hit $623m so the bump to over 1.5 billion was about 143%. A similar increase from X-Men: First Class would yield a worldwide haul in the $860m range. Of course it remains to be seen if this assemblage of X-men Franchises will even be treated with the same type of event status that The Avengers was.

Ultimately, I hope that none of these movies come close to passing Frozen because I don't see any of them being nearly as good although X-Men has the potential to be pretty solid. If Transformers passes it I will be especially disappointed   :bash:

Edited by FrozenFanatic

Interstellar is sure for me. Inception was one of the highest grossing original release of past years. Nolan brothers builds a very strong fanbase all around the world. Leading actor is the oscar winner.I agree for Hobbit (the last Tolkien movie), but not for Trasformers, cast appeal is less important in this franchise than for example for Pirates of Caribbean. Good or bad marketing is the point.Hunger games could be have a run like Twilight, strong increase for second movie, small increase (or no increase) for 3rd and 4rt and new increase for the final movie. So billion is for Mockingjai 2.

I don't know why, but I'm not completely sold on Interstellar yet. I think it will be big, but I doubt it comes within shouting distance of 1 billion. New properties have an extremely tough time with the 1 billion mark, only 6 movies in the top 40 worldwide  all time aren't sequels (maybe 7 if you count Alice In Wonderland, that's kind of a judgement call), and the almost universally liked Inception happens to be #40 with 825m. I see Inception numbers as the extreme high end, but Interstellar could come in much lower.

That is true but who knows.

Which films do you think can earn 1b?

I think only Hobbit will get 1B

Transformers and Mockingjay - around 900M

TASM 2 and Interstellar - around 800M

But none of them have any chance of passing Frozen.

Edited by tong kosong

I've got graph updates based on Corpse's weekend estimates.

Posted Image

Posted Image

So far, Frozen is tracking fairly close to Ponyo.  That should continue for about one more week, then it'll fall behind when its post-Spring Break slump hits at the same point where Ponyo had a holiday boost.  Overall, I see it finishing somewhere between Finding Nemo and Ponyo.

• Like 2

I don't know why, but I'm not completely sold on Interstellar yet. I think it will be big, but I doubt it comes within shouting distance of 1 billion. New properties have an extremely tough time with the 1 billion mark, only 6 movies in the top 40 worldwide  all time aren't sequels (maybe 7 if you count Alice In Wonderland, that's kind of a judgement call), and the almost universally liked Inception happens to be #40 with 825m. I see Inception numbers as the extreme high end, but Interstellar could come in much lower.

Titanic

Frozen

Jurassic Park

Alice in Wonderland

Lion King

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone

Finding Nemo

The Lord of the Rings: the Fellowship of the Ring

Inception

I think you missed a few  :P

Congrats to Frozen!

A solid animated film that just clicked worldwide, how long will it last as #1 animated worldwide though?

I was thinking the same thing!!! Damned DVD release date!!!  :rant:

Certainly Disney did not expect 16 weeks in a row in top ten, but could not postpone the dvd release date due the astronomical number of presales.

• Like 1