CJohn

Frozen OS thread

I think was one of the greatest boxoffice run ever in the whole world

Indeed. TF4 may have earned $300M+ in China, but that's because of the booming economy and the rapidly increasing number of screens. Conversely, growth in Japan was minimal, if it existed at all. Spirited Away is probably the only other run in an individual country that one can arguably say was better. However, since Japan was a foreign market for Frozen but not for SA, the runs seem equally impressive.

Edited by Quigley

Indeed. TF4 may have earned $300M+ in China, but that's because of the booming economy and the rapidly increasing number of screens. Conversely, growth in Japan was minimal, if it existed at all. Spirited Away is probably the only other run in an individual country that one can arguably say was better. However, since Japan was a foreign market for Frozen but not for SA, the runs seem equally impressive.

I disagree with this. First of all, Frozen failed to surpass even titanic in Japan in Yen so there's that. Also you have to factor in the size of the population of the country into the equation to accurately compare. Movies like Bienvenue chez les Ch'tis grossing $193 million in France (half the population of Japan) and Skyfall's gross in the UK (similar population to France) is just as impressive if not more so than Frozen's run in Japan. 

I disagree with this. First of all, Frozen failed to surpass even titanic in Japan in Yen so there's that. Also you have to factor in the size of the population of the country into the equation to accurately compare. Movies like Bienvenue chez les Ch'tis grossing $193 million in France (half the population of Japan) and Skyfall's gross in the UK (similar population to France) is just as impressive if not more so than Frozen's run in Japan. 

If you actually want to compare the box-office runs with respect to population, then use number of tickets - not gross. Titanic had a higher Japan gross in yen than Frozen but weren't tickets more expensive? That means Frozen sold more tickets. You also hace to divide that by the population, so we're obviously only making apporximations here.

Edited by Quigley

If you actually want to compare the box-office runs with respect to population, then use number of tickets - not gross. Titanic had a higher Japan gross in yen than Frozen but weren't tickets more expensive? That means Frozen sold more tickets. You also hace to divide that by the population, so we're obviously only making apporximations here.

I only used Titanic as an argument against your argument that frozen was second to spirited away in terms of runs in a single nation. I only said population should be factored in to acquire a more objective comparison and Titanic was not a part of that statement.

As for tickets sold, Frozen isn't among the highest out there with respect to population. Movie tickets in Japan I think fall in the more expensive side, so even with fewer tickets sold you get higher gross. So Frozen had close to 20 million admissions, France has around 3 movies around or above that number even with their population. I know I keep using France as an example but I'm sure there are more out there if you look for it. Korea had a movie that sold more than 17 million tickets this year too. 

It isn't a good comparison: Bienvenue chez les Ch'tis is a local comedy and James Bond in UK is more than the Queen, while Frozen in Japan is a original foreign animated in the animation kingdom. Other, Frozen fail to surpass Titanic and SA in theatrical revenues but considering also home cinema, music, toys and gadgets (including a ps4 limited edition!), Frozen was the most successiful movie ever in this country.

It isn't a good comparison: Bienvenue chez les Ch'tis is a local comedy and James Bond in UK is more than the Queen, while Frozen in Japan is a original foreign animated in the animation kingdom. Other, Frozen fail to surpass Titanic and SA in theatrical revenues but considering also home cinema, music, toys and gadgets (including a ps4 limited edition!), Frozen was the most successiful movie ever in this country.

You can compare them for the simple fact that they're essentially all films. To suggest you can only compare similar movie types or indeed, exclude them, for this or that reason in an argument about which film's run was best doesn't really pan out.

Also while all those other revenue streams are wonderful it isn't relevant when debating about theatrical runs of particular films.  

You can compare them for the simple fact that they're essentially all films. To suggest you can only compare similar movie types or indeed, exclude them, for this or that reason in an argument about which film's run was best doesn't really pan out.

Also while all those other revenue streams are wonderful it isn't relevant when debating about theatrical runs of particular films.  

I understand, but you can't compare, in terms of performance, a film with a character who for decades is part of pop culture in a country (such as 007) with an original, or a movie suitable for all ages with a film that in theory is just for kids.

Frozen in Japan was much more of a hit movie, it has been able to generate an unprecedented social phenomenon (some of my friends who travel frequently to Japan and are interested in local animation have confirmed this). The two things can not be treated separately.

• Like 1

This thread is still going?  Wow.

They are bored so they try to keep it alive, apparently they have nothing else to do.

All things come to an end, particularly the good ones, it's time to let go.

You still can watch the TV show Once Upon A Time, Frozen characters appeared on Season 4 (with real actors these ones ^^), it's the opportunity to discover a wonderful show :D And don't imitate CJohn : don't start by season 4, it doesn't make any sense and you won't understand.

They are bored so they try to keep it alive, apparently they have nothing else to do.

You still can watch the TV show Once Upon A Time, Frozen characters appeared on Season 4 (with real actors these ones ^^), it's the opportunity to discover a wonderful show :D And don't imitate CJohn : don't start by season 4, it doesn't make any sense and you won't understand.

`Numquam ponenda est pluralitas sine necessitate`

William of Ockham

• Like 1

It's true, box office runs nowadays are extremely boring in comparison. I don't see why people have a problem with the frozen topic going on, it's not exactly harming anybody. Also, the Spain Singalong numbers are something, albeit a small something, to look forward to. 

• Like 1

Wiki lol.

Is a couple more million feasible from the sing-along in Spain?

The sing-along version did $0.59m during its first 10 days here in Spain. So it is definitely going to do $1m+ by the end of its 1 month run ;)

So Frozen's WW total in november will be $1277m. Let's see if BOM actualizes it

Edited by Henry II of Arendelle
  • Like 2