CJohn

Frozen OS thread

Disney's next animated film is the planes spin-off?

Nope, it's the Marvel crossover Big Hero 6 later this year.

The planes spin-off isn't WDAS, it's DisneyToon Studios.

I guess you could say it's the next "Disney" animated movie, but most people think of Walt Disney Animated Studios when they think of the big animated movies, otherwise you could also count Pixar and Studio Ghibli as both are also part of Disney.

Edited by Incarnadine

Nope, it's the Marvel crossover Big Hero 6 later this year.The planes spin-off isn't WDAS, it's DisneyToon Studios.I guess you could say it's the next "Disney" animated movie, but most people think of Walt Disney Animated Studios when they think of the big animated movies, otherwise you could also count Pixar and Studio Ghibli as both are also part of Disney.

Are you sure Ghibli is part of Disney?I heard they just distribute Ghibli movies in the US?

Are you sure Ghibli is part of Disney?I heard they just distribute Ghibli movies in the US?

From 1997's release of Princess Mononoke, Disney have rights for distribution of Ghibli movies internationally, while in Japan are usually distribuited by Toho.

P.S. 100 pages!

Edited by edroger
  • Like 2

Disney has some distribution rights for Studio Ghibli films (although not all of them; GKIDS also distributes them.) But AFAIK, they have no ownership stake in the company, nor any intellectual property rights to the characters. Ghibli is definitely not Disney, in the way Pixar, WDAS, and DisneyToons are.

• Like 2

Disney has some distribution rights for Studio Ghibli films (although not all of them; GKIDS also distributes them.) But AFAIK, they have no ownership stake in the company, nor any intellectual property rights to the characters. Ghibli is definitely not Disney, in the way Pixar, WDAS, and DisneyToons are.

That's what I thought!

It's the Japanese gross charts, I'm sure the local currency matters more.

Nope.The dollar is the currency used for international comparisons.When normal people outside of Japan will want to know what is the highest-grossing movie in Japan they will go on BOM and will see Frozen first.They won't ask about local currency and exchange rates,let's be realistic.Welcome to the real world,it's all about appearances and perception.

Nope.The dollar is the currency used for international comparisons.When normal people outside of Japan will want to know what is the highest-grossing movie in Japan they will go on BOM and will see Frozen first.They won't ask about local currency and exchange rates,let's be realistic.Welcome to the real world,it's all about appearances and perception.

So normal=ignorant? Not factoring in local currency inflation and exchange rates has nothing to do with realism, I prefer to think that the average person doesn't care for outdated data. Box office mojo for all it's positives has negatives to match and it may be the best thing available right now but it is far from the international standard. Moreover international comparison by definition pertains to comparisons between nations. If you're just talking about the gross chart for a single country why the need for comparison? What country exactly are you comparing against? The most objective barometer of a movie's success in a particular country should come from either admissions or local currency. 

You know who normal people are? It's people who know the truth. And here is one truth you might wanna know. Box Office Mojo only reports a record if it has been achieved in the local curency. Want some proof? Finding Nemo earned $102M in Japan. BOM wrote a report on Toy Story 3 grossing $1B WW and it said that, after having grossed $115M in Japan, TS3 is the second highest-grossing US animated film, because, in yen, it had grossed less than Finding Nemo. So the next time you decide what normal is and what isn't, do some research.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=2904&p=.htm

Having said that, mark my words: Box Office Mojo will never report Frozen as the highest-grossing film in Japan, unless it surpasses Spirited Away in yen.

Edited by Quigley

I think for box office geeks like us, of course the local currency matters.

But for people who don't follow box office regularly (normal people according to Fullbuster), I think the local currency doesn't really matter. Most likely they will just see the BOM numbers and be done with it.

This is so true. Big sites are working with official numbers and press releases. And studios measure all records in local currency.  People pay in roulbles in Russia, in euro or pounds in Europe. If exchange rates somehow increase or decrease people usually will still pay the same amount of money.

Edited by juni78ukr
  • Like 1

I think for box office geeks like us, of course the local currency matters.But for people who don't follow box office regularly (normal people according to Fullbuster), I think the local currency doesn't really matter. Most likely they will just see the BOM numbers and be done with it.

Finally someone understood! :DSome people really need to get out more,they don't understand most of people are not like them and interesting in BO numbers that much.

So,in the end for the huge majority of people in the world Frozen will be number one in Japan.And I will say the same as much as possible when it happens.Soon SA will be beaten by Frozen in dollars,so it will be all that matters.Frozen will beat SA very soon,rejoice :D