CJohn

Frozen OS thread

FROZEN THURSDAY 6 MARCH DOMESTIC MILESTONES:

PASSES 390M

100 CONSECUTIVE DAYS IN TOP 10!!!  Only 4 movies have done better in past 20 years: Titanic, Chicago, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, and My Big Fat Greek Wedding. (yes, no Avatar, it end its run at 98). 

Interesting how My Big Fat Greek Wedding never hit #1. I actually remember that someone actually thought Frozen would hit #1 after it was released to second place on its first wide-release weekend.  :D

Interesting how My Big Fat Greek Wedding never hit #1. I actually remember that someone actually thought Frozen would hit #1 after it was released to second place on its first wide-release weekend.  :D

Frozen hit #1 for non consecutive 14 days, the last time at day 73 of release!!!.

I don't know if you also have note this: frozen actually rank #18 in the billion club but rank #4 considering only  original releases:

1 Avatar Fox $2,782.3 ORIGINAL

2 Titanic Par. $2,186.8 ORIGINAL

3 Marvel's The Avengers BV $1,518.6 FRANCHISE

4 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 WB $1,341.5 FRANCHISE

5 Iron Man 3 BV $1,215.4 SEQUEL/FRANCHISE

6 Transformers: Dark of the Moon P/DW $1,123.8 SEQUEL

7 The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King NL $1,119.9 SEQUEL

8 Skyfall Sony $1,108.6 FRANCHISE

9 The Dark Knight Rises WB $1,084.4 SEQUEL

10 Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest BV $1,066.2 SEQUEL

11 Toy Story 3 BV $1,063.2 SEQUEL

12 Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides BV $1,045.7 SEQUEL

13 Jurassic Park Uni. $1,029.2 RE-RELEASED IN 3D (2013)

14 Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace Fox $1,027.0 PREQUEL

15 Alice in Wonderland (2010) BV $1,025.5 ORIGINAL

16 The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey WB $1,017.0 PREQUEL

17 The Dark Knight WB $1,004.6 SEQUEL

18 Frozen BV $1,001.5 ORIGINAL

if you agree that my classification is correct, it must be recognized that Frozen's box office performance is truly amazing.

Edited by edroger
  • Like 1

I don't know if you also have note this: frozen actually rank #18 WW but rank #4 WW for original releases:

1 Avatar Fox $2,782.3 ORIGINAL 2 Titanic Par. $2,186.8 ORIGINAL 3 Marvel's The Avengers BV $1,518.6 FRANCHISE 4 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 WB $1,341.5 FRANCHISE 5 Iron Man 3 BV $1,215.4 SEQUEL 6 Transformers: Dark of the Moon P/DW $1,123.8 SEQUEL 7 The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King NL $1,119.9 SEQUEL 8 Skyfall Sony $1,108.6 FRANCHISE 9 The Dark Knight Rises WB $1,084.4 SEQUEL 10 Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest BV $1,066.2 SEQUEL 11 Toy Story 3 BV $1,063.2 SEQUEL 12 Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides BV $1,045.7 SEQUEL 13 Jurassic Park Uni. $1,029.2 RE-RELEASED 14 Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace Fox $1,027.0 PREQUEL 15 Alice in Wonderland (2010) BV $1,025.5 ORIGINAL 16 The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey WB $1,017.0 PREQUEL 17 The Dark Knight WB $1,004.6 SEQUEL 18 Frozen BV $1,001.5 ORIGINAL

Soon to be ranked #3 original film of all time :) personally I don't think that's one of its more impressive titles though. Highest grossing animated film & top 10 grossing film of all time has a nicer ring to it  :D

Edited by Rsyu
  • Like 1

Soon to be ranked #3 original film of all time :) personally I don't think that's one of its more impressive titles though. Highest grossing animated film & top 10 grossing film of all time has a nicer ring to it  :D

Highest grossing original film of all time (Cameron excluded) is one hell of an achievement, in my opinion definitely more relevant than 'highest grossing animated film'. Of course, those two combined are even more amazing.

• Like 1

Highest grossing original film of all time (Cameron excluded) is one hell of an achievement, in my opinion definitely more relevant than 'highest grossing animated film'. Of course, those two combined are even more amazing.

(Cameron excluded) haha love how you put that in brackets :D That's a great title but I disagree on the irrelevancy(or less-relevant) of the "highest grossing animated film" title. Frozen is first and foremost an animated film so that should be the most important title in my opinion, even if other titles carry more weight to them. 

for rysu..

I am convinced that you will be satisfied in a few weeks ....... 

but:

original animated movies in billion club: 1

original animated movies in top 50 WW: 1 (The Lion King and Finding Nemo re-released)

original animated movies in top 51-100 WW: 10

I do not think a little thing
Edited by edroger

How much more are we expecting Frozen make worldwide before it opens in Japan on March 14? :o

Not significantly more, unfortunately. The US is plugging along just fine, but China and Korea are fading very fast, and the earnings in other territories are quite low in an absolute sense, even if it's not quite dead. (For instance, the continued #1 presence in Israel is neat, but we're talking about under a hundred thousand per week.) Best case scenario, we might be looking at 1.02 billion when Japan hits.

for rysu..

I am convinced that you will be satisfied in a few weeks ....... 

but:

original animated movies in billion club: 1

original animated movies in top 50 WW: 1 (The Lion King and Finding Nemo re-released)

original animated movies in top 51-100 WW: 10

I do not think a little thing

Yeah didn't mean to imply it was little or unimportant. All of frozen's achievements have been just amazing and the fact that we're quibbling over which title is the best is just one more testimony of the success frozen has had  :D

What I was trying to say was that I personally think highest grossing animation film is the more impressive title. nothing more nothing less.

• Like 1

Not significantly more, unfortunately. The US is plugging along just fine, but China and Korea are fading very fast, and the earnings in other territories are quite low in an absolute sense, even if it's not quite dead. (For instance, the continued #1 presence in Israel is neat, but we're talking about under a hundred thousand per week.) Best case scenario, we might be looking at 1.02 billion when Japan hits.

I agree with you .

Edited by LABAS

You should read what I write at the bottom of the chart in the Israel thread, Frozen is not the the number 1 film.

FROZEN THURSDAY 6 MARCH DOMESTIC MILESTONES:

PASSES 390M

100 CONSECUTIVE DAYS IN TOP 10!!!  Only 4 movies have done better in past 20 years: Titanic, Chicago, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, and My Big Fat Greek Wedding. (yes, no Avatar, it end its run at 98).

updating...

boxofficemojo confirm my report on twitter

Box Office Mojo @boxofficemojo 14 h

'Frozen' has now been in the Top 10 for 100 days in a row: http://bit.ly/1gYZY1P  via @edroger_3

and start #frozen100

Box Office Mojo @boxofficemojo 14 h

In comparison, 'Avatar' was in the Top 10 for 98 days in a row in 2009-2010: http://bit.ly/Pa3AqC  #Frozen100 #boxoffice

Edited by edroger

Frozen moves into its 51st day in SK. 

Daily admission: 42,346 down -57% from last saturay.

total admissions are 10.1m and total gross is $76.63M (5th highest gross of all time in korean won-unadjusted for inflation)

With winter break ending this week admission numbers were hit hard across the board and frozen was no exception. It was pushed to 7th with new releases 300:RoaE, Diana and dallas buyers club taking frozen's screens. Sing-along had little to no impact, due in large to the lame advertising effort by disney korea.

Frozen moved back up to take 5th spot on saturday and looks set to take keep that spot for the weekend. Frozen's daily numbers aren't that big now but it's legs are still great. It has never placed outside of top10 during it's run  :)

• Like 5

Frozen moves into its 51st day in SK. 

Daily admission: 42,346 down -57% from last saturay.

total admissions are 10.1m and total gross is $76.63M (5th highest gross of all time in korean won-unadjusted for inflation)

With winter break ending this week admission numbers were hit hard across the board and frozen was no exception. It was pushed to 7th with new releases 300:RoaE, Diana and dallas buyers club taking frozen's screens. Sing-along had little to no impact, due in large to the lame advertising effort by disney korea.

Frozen moved back up to take 5th spot on saturday and looks set to take keep that spot for the weekend. Frozen's daily numbers aren't that big now but it's legs are still great. It has never placed outside of top10 during it's run  :)

The Saturday number may not be huge, but it's an impressively massive increase from Thursday, over 4.36x more. Looking at the other movies, many jumped 2-2.5x, none of them even managed 3x.

Edited by Incarnadine
  • Like 1

The Saturday number may not be huge, but it's an impressively massive increase from Thursday, over 4.36x more.

The nucleus of frozen's audience is still families. With kids back at school now, weekday admissions are hit really hard, more so than films of other genres. It's still got some life left on weekends though :) Here's to hoping it still has one or two similar weekends left in the tank! 

from the-numbers.com:

One last note, Frozen is expected to earn about $3 million over the weekend placing as high as sixth along the way. The film is on Video on Demand, but it is still expected to earn multimillion box office this weekend. That's impressive.

- C.S.Strowbridge

405 DOM + 625 OS = 1030 WW at end of the run without Japan

#1 animated and #10 WW with 40M in Japan (almost sure i hope)

#6 WW with 95M in Japan (is really possible?)

• Like 1

from the-numbers.com:

One last note, Frozen is expected to earn about $3 million over the weekend placing as high as sixth along the way. The film is on Video on Demand, but it is still expected to earn multimillion box office this weekend. That's impressive.

- C.S.Strowbridge

405 DOM + 625 OS = 1030 WW at end of the run without Japan

#1 animated and #10 WW with 40M in Japan (almost sure i hope)

#6 WW with 95M in Japan (is really possible?)

$40m in Japan is quite sure I think, anything lower would disappoint me.