5 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

So, we have a down and out famous author, Calvin, played wonderfully by Paul Dano, who is having trouble finding the right girl. The only girls he meets, only want him because he is famous. They do not care about him as a person. He is also having trouble writing a follow up book to the one that made him famous to begin with.

Then he starts dreaming of girl. A perfect girl, Ruby, also played wonderfully with a hint of dorktastic by Zoe Kazan. She is not just the girl of his dreams, but also his reality.

The film really plays with the concept very effectively. The laughs are plentiful. It really hits off when Calvin's brother in law finds out about his dreams with this real life girl.

The actor that plays Calvin's dad is also a surprisingly fun cameo.

When reality hits too hard, the film not only has the strength of character to pull through the rough patches but also never loses it's sense of humor.

I named my review Not 500 Days of Ruby since very early on we learn that no one wants to watch a "love" story with a manic pixie dream girl, they don't exist. They aren't real. Is Ruby real? Well, you'll just have to find out!

We agree 90% of the time, Goph, but It seems that isn't one of these times...Granted, I just watched this tonight in a good mood, so maybe I'm being generous. We do kind of agree that it falls for some indie film cliches, but I gave it the benefit of the doubt for the premise alone.

Edited by Spaghetti

This movie was a giant "Fuck you!" to Zooey Deschanel and the idea of the manic pixie dream girl lol.A very, very clever and well made movie. I was liking it, but after it took a seriously dark turn, I started admiring it. A stellar first movie script from Zoe Kazan, she also does an excellent job as Ruby Sparks.Woody Allen would be proud4/5

• Like 2