vc2002

Johnny Depp about to get paid $90m for a 5th Pirates film???

Milking it is what Leprechaun par 6 is. Milking it is when American Pie makes direct to DVD sequels. Milking it is not when your franchise is making a billion dollars. That is just smart business.

No that's still milking, it's just that returns are much higher.

No that's still milking, it's just that returns are much higher.

Then maybe I have a different definition of milking. Milking to me means you are throwing out a film to an audience that has clearly grown tired of your product in the desperate hope that you might squeeze a few dollars out of that film. Milking it is not putting out a film that audiences clearly care about and want to see. Pirates is at the top or close to the top of that food chain right now. TDKR might not even pass it WW. So say it's milking all you want, but one of the top 10 films of all time gross wise, to me is not milking.
  • Like 3

Whether they're milking the franchise or not, I think they're doing a big disservice to the industry by continuing on with the franchise. Couldn't that $90m be put to better use developing new projects?

You mean new projects that seem to tank and are guaranteed not to make a billion dollars?
  • Like 3

Whether they're milking the franchise or not, I think they're doing a big disservice to the industry by continuing on with the franchise. Couldn't that $90m be put to better use developing new projects?

Like they did with John Carter? Why spend 90mil on a project that 'could' earn you money when you can spend 90mil on a project that 'will' earn you money.
  • Like 1

Like they did with John Carter? Why spend 90mil on a project that 'could' earn you money when you can spend 90mil on a project that 'will' earn you money.

I haven't seen John Carter, but I understand its problems to be threefold; bad movie, bad marketing and a quarter of a billion dollars. Fix those and you might have something.

It's not like Disney can't afford to give Depp 90mil 'and' spend more money in other projects. 90mil is chump change to Disney... Correct me of Im wrong, but didn't Disney earn 40billion dollars last year?

Edited by Jessie
  • Like 1

I haven't seen John Carter, but I understand its problems to be threefold; bad movie, bad marketing and a quarter of a billion dollars. Fix those and you might have something.

It wasn't a terrible movie IMO, I liked it, but that's probably because so many poster on here were slating it that my expectations were lowered. Edited by Jessie

It's not like Disney can't afford to give Depp 90mil 'and' spend more money in other projects. 90mil isChump change to Disney...

Yes, but the existence of Pirates 5... I don't know, but it drives me crazy. These franchises being dragged kicking and screaming back into relevancy, where they don't want to be, are driving people away from the cinemas.

Yes, but the existence of Pirates 5... I don't know, but it drives me crazy. These franchises being dragged kicking and screaming back into relevancy, where they don't want to be, are driving people away from the cinemas.

I fail to see how a billion dollar grosser is 'driving people away' from cinemas... I don't understand why people hate the idea of releasing shitty sequels. No-one is holding a gun to your head and forcing you to go see it. Edited by Jessie
  • Like 2

I fail to see how a billion dollar grosser is 'driving people away' from cinemas...I don't understand why people hate the idea of releasing shitty sequels. No-one is holding a gun to your head and forcing you to go see it.

In the short term no, but if people perceive "the movies" as "franchise zombies" then maybe they wouldn't be enticed to go, they'd find other, fresher forms of entertainment.

It's not like Disney can't afford to give Depp 90mil 'and' spend more money in other projects. 90mil is chump change to Disney... Correct me of Im wrong, but didn't Disney earn 40billion dollars last year?

revenue was $40.9bearnings $4.8b

OK, since Depp's 50m on POTC4 sounds pretty scary already, I want to ask: how much would Disney have paid to the big 3 if they chose to keep Orlando and Keira, and then how much more money would the film have made?

Edited by vc2002