Halloween II (1981)

9 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Just as scary as the original, 26 June 1999As sequels go, this isn't a better movie than the original, but what it is and what it does well, it does really well. I have to say right away here that I was scared in this movie. There are some truly ingenious and horrific shots in this film. There are times when you really aren't expecting what's about to transpire, and when it does, it sends chills through you.I first saw this film in my " horror " days in the mid 80's. I was 12 years old then. So I just recently watched it again to see if it would have the same affect on me now. I sat in my basement and turned off all the lights and you know what, I was spooked. Right from the opening number of Carpenter's ominous music and the pumpkin slowly transforming into Michael's angry face, I knew right there that I was in for a night of fear. And I was.The story starts the same night as Halloween ended on. Laurie is being taken to the hospital and there is a massive manhunt to find Myers. Laurie eventually gets settled into the hospital and it becomes only a matter of time until Michael can find out where she is. He finally comes to get her and then all hell breaks loose.One of the major players in this film is the locale. The hospital is dark and quiet and rather empty. And that adds to the atmosphere of the film. It gives us lots of long hallways so we can have a few shots of Michael hunting his prey. What we also get is an array of rooms to 86 his victims in and a slew of weapons to do it with.Rick Rosenthal directed this film and I am amazed that he really didn't go on to do much because he almost copies Carpenter's style to the tee here. Brilliant in particular are two shots. One is where Michael appears out of the darkness in one room to attack his victim. The lighting is solely responsible for the affectiveness of this shot and it works so well that it still gives me the shivers when I watch it. The second is when Micael attacks one of the nurses while Laurie watched helplessly from a distance.Not only is this a good horror movie, it is a good film and if the first rates a 10/10, this is certainly an 8.5 It is that good.

Edited by Expendable baumer

Hugely overrated. This movie accomplishes nothing. The only reason there is any suspence whatsoever is because of the characters John Carpenter created in the first. It's got a nice tone and the score is all kinds of awesome but once Laurie starts being chased again one just has to think of how irrelevant the last hour has been.

Hugely overrated. This movie accomplishes nothing. The only reason there is any suspence whatsoever is because of the characters John Carpenter created in the first. It's got a nice tone and the score is all kinds of awesome but once Laurie starts being chased again one just has to think of how irrelevant the last hour has been.

I agree though even the score, when it was that one note over and over and over really got on my nerves and not in a "I'm scared" kind of way either. And did you noticed Jamie Lee Curtis didn't have many lines? After the opening (which was the end of the first film), I swear she only spoke maybe 20 words total. Just seemed kind of odd.

While I do like this, I can see both sides. I do like it as a sequel and continuation of the first film, and it does explain the sister angle and it kills off Michael Myers. Well kill him off for the 3rd movie at least :P

Still scary enough and enjoyable to me

B+/B

While I do like this, I can see both sides. I do like it as a sequel and continuation of the first film, and it does explain the sister angle and it kills off Michael Myers. Well kill him off for the 3rd 4th movie at least :P

Still scary enough and enjoyable to me

B+/B

Fixed that for you. :)

I don't count the 2 tv commercials in the background of Halloween III as a real Michael Myers appearance :P

I know. That's what I meant. You said they killed him in the second so they could bring him back for the third. But the third doesn't have him. So they are bringing him back for the 4th. :)

I loved this one. Not as great as the original, but the atmosphere was so similar that it kept the chilling tone of it all. It didn't stray much and that's why the continuation felt natural and kept the scare factor. The scene with Michael hunting down Laurie for several minutes finally leading up to them in the basement and she's trying to escape in the elevator is so full of tension, I couldn't take it as a kid with all its gritty shitty quality on VHS. I love it.

• Like 2