Crunching the Numbers: Year 4

10. Spark

See my review.

9. The Triple Nickels

See my review.

8. The Simulation

A fun and engaging dystopian thriller that examines the nature of free will, human happiness, and the nature of our existence.

7. LoveBytes

A unique and moving drama about a needlessly insecure woman whose online masquerades only plunge her deeper into her own hole of doubt. KK gives a brilliant leading performance.

6. Alesia

My film, no comment.

• Like 1

5. The Road HomeSee my review.4. Never Say GoodbyeWoody Allen diverges from his usual rom-coms and occasional thriller outings to tell a more sprawling and open romantic drama about two relationships not quite working and how two of the four members slowly fall in love with one another after a series of chance meetings. It's a happier go-round for Leo and Kate after Revolutionary Road and it should draw in the romantic crowd big time. If the film had had the balls to not put Leo and Kate back together but have them find happiness elsewhere in the years following the dissolution of their relationships, then this would have skyrocketed to #1 of the year and possibly of the entire 4 game years so far. But alas, Woody wanted to give audiences the Mega Happy ending.3. The Good Die YoungMy film, no comment.

2. The Glass Castle

A moving and piercing drama about the ups and downs of a battered lower-class family trying to eke out their own version of the American Dream in spite of the failings of both parents. Chloe Moretz owns the film completely.

1. Wenan

riczhang lucked out here. If he had kept Terrence Malick in this film would have plummeted, because the new Malick is great at setting up pretty photographs and other visuals, but lacks any skill at depicting characters, a narrative, or meaningful engagment with the audience. Instead we get Paul Thomas Anderson who brings his epic sensibilities from There Will Be Blood over here to depict a tale spanning thousands of years, revolving around the Australian immigrant experience, from the aboriginals who struggled to survive in a totally unknown environment to the contemporary South Asian migrants who simply want to find a slightly better life. It's a very sprawling, disjointed film, but this is one of the few times that works in the movie's favor.

Wow, didn't expect this, when I saw Glass Castle was in number 2 I actually thought Wenan had missed your top 25. Thanks :D

It was pretty much a coin flip between Glass Castle and Wenan. Gave it to Wenan since it was more ambitious.